Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned my 22/45 Tactical for past one year, fired about 4500 rounds. Fails to fully extract casing from barrel. Pulls it out about 1/2the casing length and that's all.
Have replaced recoil spring and extractor with Vq replacements. This did not cure prob. Next, Stopped using Federal Champion 40 grain, RN lead. Tried CCI MiniMags and ran 50 rounds with no malfunctions. Logic fails me here as I see no difference in stats between these two ammos,(except price !) Plus I've been using
the Federal ammo since the gun was new with no problem, until three days ago.

Anyone experiencing their MK IV Tactical being this finicky with Ammo??

·
Registered
76 Posts
It could be a bad, or different material, batch of ammo from Federal. I bought some Aquila for my 9mm and had nothing but trouble with it, 30 out of 126 failed to load. I gave what I had left to the guy who told me how good it was and what I had happen. He called me a few days latter and said I had a bad run of ammo, here was a burr around the front of the case. He have gave me a box and a half of his stock and I ran that through my 2 Sigs without trouble. So that could be what's going on with you gan and ammo, try buying a box from a different store making sure it's a different lot and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Welcome from Michigan. Trying different ammo is one good solution, but first, strip it down to the frame and give it a full and complete cleaning. Make sure that there is no old crud or even old grease and lube that is slowing things down. Make sure you have it lubed properly with the appropriate amount of the right oil. And tactical with a threaded barrel, if you are running a silencer, you need to clean the pistol a lot more.

·
Registered
582 Posts
How many rounds have you fired since you have cleaned the chamber real well?

If you get the dreaded carbon ring buildup in the chamber it can make chambering and extracting difficult. Just a lot of crud in the chamber can also give you problems with not extracting all the time. So if you haven't cleaned it thoroughly lately I would try that first and see if that cures your problem.

Use a bronze brush and a good bore cleaner that will get the crud out of the chamber if you have a build up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts