Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first gun I ever bought was this Ruger MkII in the early 1980s. At least, I assumed it was a MkII. I looked on the Ruger website and the MkII serial numbers begin with serial number 18-00001.

My "MkII" has a serial number of 17-74115. According to the Ruger website, the MkIs ended in 1982, the final serial number being 17-70981. I'm no mathematician, but 17-74115 comes after 17-70981. Did Ruger make a typo on the website or do I have some bizarre MkI/MkII hybrid? I'm going to assume it's a MkI and the website got the numbers wrong. Sure wish I had the original box and paperwork. That'd clear this up in a hurry. :cool:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Looking at the picture you posted reveals that you have a Ruger Standard Model pistol from the early generation (often referred to informally as a Mark I generation). The lack of a bolt catch, scallops on the rear of the receiver, and fixed sights are all traits of this model pistol. In order to hold the bolt open you must engage the thumb safety with the bolt held rearward another trait of the early Standards (prior to the introduction of the Mark II). Your pistol came with an A100 frame which means the magazine follower buttons are on the left side of the mag body just like the Mark II's have for use in them.

BTW - you have misread the Ruger serial number page, the number you mentioned is not the final production number but the beginning serial number produced for that year. Your serial number is after that one and is prior to the Mark II beginning serial number which puts your Standard pistol as being manufactured sometime in 1982.

That pistol is in excellent shape for its age.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Bullseye. Very helpful.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes your pistol is a beautiful STANDARD and also the bolt on a Mark I does not stay open after your last shot, Mark II and Mark IIIs stay open like a Colt 45 auto. That must have been a safe queen, that's in new condition. Does the back strap look like the rest of the pistol because that's where the bluing starts to wear from palm sweat. I'd like to send mine back to Ruger for rebluing but they state that if the pistol was altered they won't reblue it, mine had a trigger job done 30 years ago.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Bullseye hit the Mark !

That's a standard pistol not a MKII.

It was made in 1982 and is one of the very last of the standard pistols. The MKII's started production in 1982 but that was an overlap year with both standard and MKII's being manufactured that year.

It is in beautiful condition and I would recommend you hang onto that one.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Bullseye hit the Mark !

That's a standard pistol not a MKII.

It was made in 1982 and is one of the very last of the standard pistols. The MKII's started production in 1982 but that was an overlap year with both standard and MKII's being manufactured that year.

It is in beautiful condition and I would recommend you hang onto that one.
The last 5000 Standard Model .22 pistols were made in Stainless Steel as a limited edition. Then MkII production started.

So the OP needs two more pistols to complete the 1982 Collection. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts