Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one of the older model (2013?) 22/45 lite with the short black threaded/fluted aluminum barrels. That sucker is lite!

Took it to the range and tons of issues. It looks like the top bullet in the mag does not popup as high as it can, then it is basically driven into the bottom of the feed ramp.

Both mags seemed to behave the same. It would generally jam with about 4 rds left. I was using rem hollow points and I know they did not help the cause.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do I need to adjust the mags somehow? When I propped the front of the bullet higher so it is high on the ramp no troubles, but when it ejects and feeds the next round it slams into the bottom of the ramp and gets stuck, marring the hollow point round.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Lite has the same problem with Golden Bullets and I quit trying to fix it after awhile . My gun loves Thunderbolts, never had a failure. Shoots most other rounds without a problem as well, so I don't worry about it. I replaced the LCI but that didn't help.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Sounds like you might want to look at the sticky on tuning your magazines. What you describe sounds very similar to my experiences, fixed it by smoothing out the magazines and polishing the internals. if you haven't done it yet a magazine disconnect bushing will really help make your life easier as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dog,
I found some links on tuning the mags and will give it a shot. The trigger is not bad on this lite, heard horror stories from others on theirs but I will do the volq accurizing kit for mk ii and tandem lci removal piece like I did on my hunter.

Sounds like you might want to look at the sticky on tuning your magazines. What you describe sounds very similar to my experiences, fixed it by smoothing out the magazines and polishing the internals. if you haven't done it yet a magazine disconnect bushing will really help make your life easier as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: All I did was install the volq Mk 2 accurizing kit and the tk lci eliminator, it runs like a champ now. Musta been the lci and/or mag safety? Not sure, just happy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very unhappy with stock lite. Got it for a Sparrow host. keyholes thunderbolts. Subsonic better. Trigger is junk, sights are very bad. Fully set to right and still not right. Is a Richardsons special from Gallery of guns.

Will change all the works out and see what happens. If doesn't work, I'll change it back, send the gun back and make someone on this forum very happy with a lot of parts.

Part Volquartzen Other
* **Target Trigger 35.50
* **Target Hammer 51.50
* **Target Sear 28.50
Racker handle 29.00 E. Aurther Brown
*Hammer Bushing 8.00
Extended Safety 35.00
Extended mag Release 25.00
Sling Shot & Extended Bolt Release 24.99 Komewolf
**Talon Extractor 36.00
**Quick Strike Firing Pin Included with
Extractor Disconnector 33.50

*Accurizer Kit $115 vs Parts separately $123.50
**Competition Kit $165 vs parts separately $185

All in one pistol tool: 22.00
50 Round Magloader: 20.00
Extra Mag.s: 23.99 ea

Total cost will be $300 to just fix this piece of crap.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Don't use Thunderbolts in your Ruger, they will quickly lead the barrel and cause the keyholing you've described. You may need to scrub out the barrel to remove excess leading. Some brass wool is a good method to thoroughly clean out lead fouling. After the barrel is clean you should use better quality ammo, even though that is far more difficult in these times of short supplies of .22 cartridges.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 8 of 8 Posts