Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

This past weekend when I went to clean my Ruger, I realized I was skipping a step. I went back to do the step (adding the mag, pulling the trigger, et al) but didn't realize that I had not re-secured the mainspring before doing so.

Anyways, I am left with a MKIII which exhibits the following behavior:

> Unable to remove mainspring, it comes out about 1/2 a centimeter and that it.
> Unable to switch safety from fire to safe
> Unable to pull the bolt back more than about a centimeter

Called Ruger, the guy had me hitting the MKIII barrel against the floor. But no luck. And I did it pretty fiercely. By the 20th time I gave up. Anyone know what's up and how to fix it?

I love this gun, but I truly hate assembly/disassembly. They need to release the MKIV (simply the MKIII but with ease of disassembly, like my P-345.)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Put magazine in gun. Pull trigger while hitting barrel against the floor.

Sounds like you've got the hammer in the wrong position when you reassembled it. I did this same thing, had same symptoms you did. You have to pull the trigger to release the sear while whacking the muzzle on something padded (carpeted floor works great) this allows the hammer to travel forward so that you can disassemble your gun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never re-assembled. I hadn't even removed the mainspring. I went to remove it. Realized I had to do the trigger thing. Put the mag in, pulled the trigger. Then realized I had not locked the mainspring before doing so. Haven't been able to get either the bolt or mainspring free.

I've already tried whacking on padded floor while holding the trigger some 20+ times. And firm enough to shake the house pretty good. I think if I hit too much harder, I'll put a hole thru the floor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Closed...

The mainspring is in the housing, I was never able to get it open so I could remove it.

I unlatched the lock, and it pulls out about 3-4 mm and then stops.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, dropped it off at a nearby range/gunshop yesterday. *blah*

I love this gun, my only two complaints are:

a) disassembly/re-assembly

b) that it rests in the case lefty, rather than righty - so I can't just pick it up into my hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have done the same thing several times and got it stuck. Just mess with it rotating the gun around until it allows you to open it up. It will eventually open.

In the future you have to be sure the gun is pointed up and backwards at a 45 degree angel when you close the mainspring during reassembly. This puts the hammer thingie:confused: in the correct position. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I did... (FYI)

Well apparently I took failure to a new level.

It turns out I had not turned the internal lock all the way. And so it was just on the edge of locking the safety/not locking the safety. So it was a bit more of an unexpected boondoggle.

It stemmed from me comparing the MKIII's internal lock to that of my P-345 - which is only a quarter turn. And how well, maybe I turn it until it just unlocked so I would have to turn it as far to make it ready. OBVIOUSLY, that was a bad ($65) choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts