Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a new MkIII Hunter and will be receiving it in a few days. Should this pistol be cleaned before firing any rounds through it?

This is a great forum and I've learned a lot from reading the informative responses!
Bob

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,828 Posts
It's always a good idea to field strip, remove factory protective grease, then lubricate before firing any Ruger MK pistol.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Hi Skeet, welcome to the forum. Yes, please do a fieldstrip and good cleaning, then lightly lube those areas that have frictional contact with the appropriate grease or oil. This lets the gun work properly and lets you inspect for problems and small shavings or foriegn material that may have been left from the manufacturing process. Also check the barrel for obstructions, etc. Iowegan has an excellent guide to these pistols called the IBOK for Mark Guns. You will have to email him for a copy.
When you get a chance, stop in the New Members forum and introduce yourself. Enjoy your new Ruger!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses and the welcome. I guess I'll strip it down and clean it good before anything else. From what I've read it sounds like it can be a bit of a difficult task. I've read the field stripping procedures that I found from this forum...hopefully that will halp me do it correctly.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts