Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding a scope to my MKIII (at least 4x), and I was wondering what you guys might recommend (I'm very accurate with the stock sites up to about from 25 yards, but would like to stretch it out a bit and do some 50+ yard shooting) .... thanks in advance for the help!:)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
BuckJM53, Unlike a rifle, a 4X pistol scope is quite a challenge. For most shooters, anything over 2X is pushing it unless you plan to do only bench rest shooting. I put a 2X on my MK III and have a hell of a time grouping when shooting off hand. From a bench rest, I can keep them in the black at 50 yards (1" or better). Lots of fun and it shows the true potential for accuracy in these fine pistols.

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
i like the bushnell holosight, eotech makes one similar to the bushnell , AND has a magnifier add-on option....

but those are not technically scopes... for target shooting it should be a great addition, but for hunting you might want to stick to a traditional scope.

·
Super Moderator
16,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. After considering all the options, I decided to go with a Barksa Red Dot sight. I took it out to the range for the first time today, and after I got it dialed in, I was pretty pleased with the results. Unfortunately I could only take it out to 75' at the indoor range. I'm looking forward to getting it outside and stretching it out to 100 - 150'

·
Registered
239 Posts
Either a holosight or a 2x as said above anything over 2x is a challenge with a pistol unless you bench it

·
Registered
97 Posts
My MKIII Hunter wears a NCStar 2X7, and off a rest, will put 10 rounds in a quarter at 25 yds. Inexpensive scope at $50.00 and probably wouldn't put this brand on anything with more recoil than a .22, but for the money I love mine. I like to shoot both open sight and scoped, and have shot a few clips with the scope, taken it off, run a few clips, then put it back on for a few more clips, and never lose zero. Will post some target pics next time I am at the range.

wolfman

·
Registered
97 Posts
Finally got to spend some time at the range Sat. I'm a little dissapointed with the groups I shot off the rest ,,,, the range chair was broken ,, and I had to shoot from a rather uncomfortable position ,,,,
10 rounds per target
Targets were shot in the order I numbered them, 1 to 6
1 & 2 are off hand, open sights
3 & 4 are from rest, open sights
then I mounted my scope, but didn't take any sighters just went to target 5 & 6.

·
Super Moderator
16,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clean threads and a little blue loctite was just the ticket to keep the base nice and tight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
2X

I argree with Iowegan. My brother wanted a 4x for his SRH and when we looed at them it was to difficult to see through. He chose a Burris 2x with locking cross hair and is very happy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wolfman

You have a real good trigger control. There is a hardly any difference in your groups between your rested iron sights and the scope shooting. I am impressed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wolfman

You have a real good trigger control. There is a hardly any difference in your groups between your rested iron sights and the scope shooting. I am impressed.
Thanks
Used to do better, but 50 yr old eyes and bifocal glasses take their toll. Finally got around to taking a pic of my rig.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Nice rig Wolfman. Good shooting too. I really need to rest my gun and see what it can do. I usually shoot offhand and that leads to shooting fast. Not really good for tight groups.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks
Don't know why, but every gun I have ever purchased, especially hand guns, have spent most of their first trip to the range, on a sand bag. I have always hunted, and guess I just wanted to know that the bullet would hit where I wanted it to.
Back when my hands were a little steadier and eyes a little sharper than they are now, I used to enjoy trying to put as many rounds as possible through the same hole.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts