Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the scope rail off of my brandy new MKIII to add some loctite because after only about 60 rounds they came loose. No issues there. Noticed some minor scratches on the barrel, took the front sight off, got rid of the scratches with some time, elbow grease, and 2000 grit paper.

Putting the front sight back on, I dropped the damn screw! Ground Gremlins grabbed it and took off with it. Literally on my hands and knees with a magnet and a flashlight on the blacktop floor in the garage, its gone!

Cannot figure out what thread size this is, trying my mountain of screws in the garage, nothing fits. Proprietary thread?

Anyone know thread size? Now what the hell do I do?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Took the scope rail off of my brandy new MKIII to add some loctite because after only about 60 rounds they came loose. No issues there. Noticed some minor scratches on the barrel, took the front sight off, got rid of the scratches with some time, elbow grease, and 2000 grit paper.

Putting the front sight back on, I dropped the damn screw! Ground Gremlins grabbed it and took off with it. Literally on my hands and knees with a magnet and a flashlight on the blacktop floor in the garage, its gone!

Cannot figure out what thread size this is, trying my mountain of screws in the garage, nothing fits. Proprietary thread?

Anyone know thread size? Now what the hell do I do?
According to my Ruger MKIII manual

Key #3 front sight screw XR07600 this is the MKIII & 22/45 MKIII models

It doesn't give the dimensions and thred type.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Can't help you with he size but had something like that happen to me one time. I dropped a small screw and couldn't find it for the life of me. That evening I found it when I was taking my boots off. It had landed on my laces and became lodged in them. Some luck.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Bill if you cannot find the screw you can order one from ruger XR07600-MKI-II-III-Front-Sight-Screw-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
If you can't find it - and sometimes after searching like that you can look again and find it in 5 minutes - I would definitely get the right screw from Ruger rather than risk buggering up the threads in the gun.

I always work over a container of some sort when working on anything with tiny parts. I have lost many a part into the "black hole" to never be seen again.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have never lost parts while taking apart guns or magazines.........I usually only lose one part at a time.:eek:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I've had to do the "hands and knees" crawl so many times, that I've finally begun disassembling and reassembling small parts, screws, springs, etc with the gun in a freezer bag.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guarantee I'll find it!

Right after the new one gets here from River! Lmao! That's usually how it works. I didn't know I could order parts right from them, so that's what I'm gonna do.

Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
MKIII Whoops

Not for nothing...I use a piece of counter top about two feet square to which I glued "rubber" shelf matting like one lines kitchen shelves and drawers with. It's spongy and cross hatched ribs just about grab any small screws and parts that drop. I lay it on the workbench when cleaning or taking things apart and put it away when I'm done. Works great and helps avoid things being swallowed up by the solid concrete garage floor.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The front sight screw on a Ruger 22 Target Auto is a 6x40 screw.

R,
Bullseye
Just for future info, and if you know it offhand, what is the length? I know, I could take one of mine out and measure it, but would have to re-loctite.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Scope mounting screws are typically 6-48 tpi but that's usually because the receivers are fairly thin and the extra threads are necessary to hold the mounts securely. Ruger uses 6-40 tpi screws in the front sights of their bull barrel models. The length is 1/4".

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Not for nothing...I use a piece of counter top about two feet square to which I glued "rubber" shelf matting like one lines kitchen shelves and drawers with. It's spongy and cross hatched ribs just about grab any small screws and parts that drop. I lay it on the workbench when cleaning or taking things apart and put it away when I'm done. Works great and helps avoid things being swallowed up by the solid concrete garage floor.
Great idea and one I will use from now on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My brother-in-law is a custom jeweler. He wears an apron, with velcro on the bottom, that he secures to matching velcro on the front edge of his work bench.

Loosing a 50 cent screw is frustrating. But loosing a $10,000 diamond is a bit more frustrating. :(

I do my detail work on my kitchen counter, with tile floors. I also have an adoring cat that is usually nearby.

She "finds" anything that I drop about as soon as I drop it.

My challenge is to retrieve it from her before she swallows it. ;)

Duane

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
When you order the screw from Ruger, get two, or better yet, three. In your excitement of finally assembling the gun, you're gonna drop another one.
Guaranteed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts