Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem:
I am having failure to feed issues were the bullet will pop up and then hit the top of the chamber putting a crease in the tip of the bullet. This problem ONLY happens on the last round of the magazine. Because I am using it for NRA bullseye I am using a snapcap as a spacer which has been working, but now it's back to misfeeding the last live round.

I primarily run Aguila Super Extra ammunition, but it has happened with CCI standard velocity, federal auto match & match, and SK standard.
I've been seeing some posts on how to resolve some failure to feed issues with MK4 22/45 pistols but really nothing for regular mk4. Does anyone have any ideas?

Equipment:
I have 5 ruger magazines that have all been "tuned" following the tandemkross tutorial on youtube and all have volquartsen follower buttons installed. I routinely clean and re-oil the magazines.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
This is a common problem and I had it too. Try squeezing the rear feed lips, until their is only a couple of thousandths of play for the follower. This will prevent the round from nosing upward.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does sound mag related. So does it do it with every mag you own? ( all 5?). Has it done it from day one? Have you tried other mags?
Also, unless it's changed, aguila has a waxy coating that tends to collect in the magzine. Take the mags apart and scrub it (and it's parts) good.

P.s. Nice grips!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Del

·
Registered
507 Posts
Problem:
I am having failure to feed issues were the bullet will pop up and then hit the top of the chamber putting a crease in the tip of the bullet. This problem ONLY happens on the last round of the magazine. Because I am using it for NRA bullseye I am using a snapcap as a spacer which has been working, but now it's back to misfeeding the last live round.

.. Does anyone have any ideas?
So if I understand you correctly, (treating the snapcap as a round) your problem only occurs when feeding the second-to-last round?

If this is right, I have a proven fix for you I'll share.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought, but if you load the magazine to less than full capacity, does it still malfunction?
I normally load only 5 rounds. Any malfunction happens on the last round. Was shooting last night and it happened during two different stages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I understand you correctly, (treating the snapcap as a round) your problem only occurs when feeding the second-to-last round?

If this is right, I have a proven fix for you I'll share.
When I started using the snap caps, they helped to prevent the problem, but now it is doing it to the last live round as well. Never will do it on rounds 1-4 (if loading 5).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Adam,

The last 2 rounds are the hardest to get to load without jamming IMO.

The shape of the follower forces the last round to sit at a steeper angle inside the mag than any of the rounds above it sit. Then the follower tips forward once the upper 8 of 10 rounds have been stripped off. This creates an upward rotation on the 9th round. Then the follower pushes the nose of the 10th round higher than "normal" when it reaches the top of the mag.

These differences don't cause a problem in most pistols. But others are quite sensitive and will jam one of these last 2 rounds with great regularity. Here's my fix for the problem:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5653041&postcount=6

Every single person who has reported back that they tried this fix has said it worked great for them. Try it with just one of your mags first. After you're convinced it makes a positive difference, repeat it on your other mags.

Then maybe you can add your feedback too! I love to hear success stories.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Every Ruger owner will eventually find a magazine that doesn't quite work right. I have a half dozen Rugers and at least 20 magazines. A few function poorly in certain Rugers. Example, my 22/45 (older model MkII) with an after market Tactical Solution barrel is quite touchy. When tinkering with magazines, I take the tools I need to the range and make changes, fire a couple strings, make further changes, repeat until I get them right OR BREAK THEM!!

I have tried numerous methods to fix magazines. TestEngineer has reported on this numerous times here. If you look on the Internet there are a couple people who have developed methods to tune magazines and polish them smooth enough to make them work well. Google "Ruger Magazine Tuning" and try the ones that make sense to you. TandemKross and Wirthwein Guns are two of the better ones.

Also, ammunition can be an issue. A few years ago, I bought two cases of Aguila ammunition, standard and high velocity. I have shot about half of it at this point. I find the standard velocity version frequently will NOT recoil the slide far enough back to engage and pick up the next round. The result is a dry fire on an empty chamber. The high velocity also has some issues. It may be a bit oversize for my target grade Ruger chambers and stick out of battery. I have also found the Aguila sometimes has a bit of wax or other "dirt" that makes it stick in the magazine leading to improper chambering - like you mention.

A suggestion that shouldn't be necessary but worth a try to check your magazines for burrs or roughness that might cause the cartridge to not chamber properly. Put a few drops of oil in your hand with a handful of cartridges. Rub your hands together to lubricate the cartridges sparingly. See if they feed better.

My short answer is try tuning your magazines, try several other brands of ammunition, try to analyze the problem before getting too deep into magazine or feed ramp modifications. The pistol league at my club has almost exclusively converted to CCI Std Velocity for it's reliability. But whatever works for you!!

My Aguila ammunition is going to be relegated to practice where a jam isn't a disqualification and to my grandkid's 22 shooting until I get it all gone AND NEVER TO COME AGAIN!! "FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENTS SHOOT AQUILA."

·
Registered
507 Posts
DTDTDTDT said:
My short answer is try tuning your magazines, try several other brands of ammunition, try to analyze the problem before getting too deep into magazine or feed ramp modifications.
You might want to re-read the OP's first post. He has 5 magazines that have all been "tuned" using the TK video. The jam is always on the same round using any of the 5 magazines.

I've found that properly positioned, clean magazines always feed right without needing to bend, file, or sand anything. Some pistols properly position the mags as built by the factory, while others need some adjustment.

But regardless of the approach you choose for "tuning" a magazine body, it can only band-aid RANDOM feeding failures. The very specific, consistent failure across 5+ mags that the OP is dealing with is indicative of the design flaw of the follower. The fix is easy, and unlike other magazine mods, this mod has NO negative effects that make the mags work only in specific guns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just as a little update: I squeezed the feed lips in slightly on two mags and tested for functionality, which they both passed. At pistol league last week, I had the first night with ZERO malfunctions for roughly 1.5 years. After I got home I also adjusted the follower according to the instructions in Test Engineers other post. I will let you all know the results of that following my range session this week.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have tried to purchase one from a few suppliers in AMERICA, but no one will ship to AUSTRALIA, these are tiny items.Can anybody help ?
Our state department allows a limited number of items to be shipped to Canada, but that's all. Every gun part going elsewhere has to go thru an exporter, and small quantities have very large charges relative to the parts' values.

Your best option is to call Ruger and see if they can hook you up with someone local. Good luck.

https://ruger.com/service/international.html

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Mark IV Lite will not shoot Aguila Super. I get stovepipes regularly, along with FTE and badly dented cases and smashed in bullets still in the case - and this is after doing EVERY THING to fix the magazines. CCI mini mags feed quite well now. I hope they continue to do so!

Also installed the Volquartsen trigger kit which should not have anything to do with the feeding problems, but thought I would mention it anyway because before installing that kit even the CCI were giving me problems, although not as bad.

·
Registered
150 Posts
TestEngineer;4277879]You might want to re-read the OP's first post. He has 5 magazines that have all been "tuned" using the TK video. The jam is always on the same round using any of the 5 magazines.

Test Engineer: thanks for pointing out my sloppy reading of his post. I missed the point about the tuned magazines. I also didn't see the thumbnail he had on the post until this evening. I think I looked at the site from my iPhone or iPad that may have not picked up that information. (That's my excuse anyway!!!)

I noticed that the gun had a pulling ring added to the ears. I wonder if the extra weight might be an issue too. It might slow the slide motion enough to cause feeding problems. Not likely though as it happens on the same round in the magazine with multiple magazines. Something to look at? Take it off and see what happens is an easy thing to eliminate if nothing else.

I've not tried such an addition so don't know if it would have any impact

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts