Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently joined and was wondering if there are any Mixed Martial Arts fans around.Its one of my other favorite hobbies. By the way there is a free UFC card on FX this Saturday.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I'm just not into sports of any kind. I have, however, come across MMA while flipping channels, and I did pause long enough to take it in for a bit. Some observations: To each their own, and if that's your hobby, hey, have at it. Me, I just can't understand fighting like that unless you're in a street encounter and you have no choice. The kind of debilitating injuries [many of them being permanent] incurred by doing this sort of thing would, to me, far outweigh any monetary gain to be had. But, that's just my opinion, and I guess if it were easy, everyone would do it. Also, I do admire the way you guys can take punches that would render ordinary folks immediately unconscious. So, I kinda look at your hobby the same way I look at shooting the .577 rifle: You go right ahead and do it...me, I'll stand way over here and watch! ;)

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
P.S.: .....and a late welcome to the forum, by the way.:)

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
A lady friend of mine in Fayetteville has a boyfriend that does it. Last time I was talking with him he complained about his ears being real sore.

As for me I'll just sit back and watch with NCLEO :D

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
A lady friend of mine in Fayetteville has a boyfriend that does it. Last time I was talking with him he complained about his ears being real sore.

As for me I'll just sit back and watch with NCLEO :D
Happy to have you, Jtiv....pass the popcorn, would you please?;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome I am also a big mma/ufc fan i heard rumors that the fan expo will be in boston this year again i went the first year it was and look forward to going again

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I've learned a several things from watching.

Things can happen very fast.
One punch or kick may not get you out of a jam.
Little guys can beat big guys.
Getting someone on their back isn't always the end of the fight.

And...
Don't mess with anyone, you just don't know what they know. Walk away, fast if you need to.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Recently joined and was wondering if there are any Mixed Martial Arts fans around.Its one of my other favorite hobbies. By the way there is a free UFC card on FX this Saturday.
I love MMA and thanks for the heads up. I loved it when Velasquez beat the snot out of Lesnar.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here. It's a sport that isn't for everyone. To each his own.
I heartily agree. By no means was I knocking your hobby, and I hope you didn't take it that way. I'm sure you're good at it, and I truly hope you get the most you can from it. I'm only saying there's no way I could do it....I hate concussions, and I'm happy with my teeth as they are! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Been watching it for years, and enjoy viewing competitive matches. While I'm no expert at all, it seems the pre-fight training/conditioning has vastly improved for many of the fighters as the sport has matured.

Like him or not, Dana White has been the face-piece of tremendous growth and mainstream acceptance thru-out the USA. While in the late 1990s/early 2000s it was dominated by mostly Brazilian and Oriental fighters, in the recent years North&South Americans (and now British) participants have leveled the field.

BUT while the major sanctioning bodies always state no one has been seriously/permanently injured yet, I think its due to it only being mainstream for a decade at most. We'll see how well some of the more recent retirees that had 20 to 40+ professional fights age in retirement. I'm expecting long-term effects much like professional boxing or football.

But I still like to watch it!!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I love watching the old school Pride Fighting videos. That stuff was crazy.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another free show this Saturday on Fox. Rampage Jackson is saying this is his last fight, with UFC anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts