Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just barreled a older tang safety Mod to 220 Swift, i have had a love affair with the Swift for over 40yrs, always have room for a good 220 Swift, all my Ruger Rifles are tang safety, i just like them better, George.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
One of the big mistakes that I made was when I traded off a Model 77 .30-.06 with a scope that I had had for years. I could hit the little beer bottles at 200 yards, and you couldn't see them without the scope.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I shot an uncle's 77 in .30-06 and really liked it. If I didn't have my Winchester 70, I'd probably pick one up. Heck, I might anyhow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with George. My first swift was a M-77 Tang safety, I glass bedded the action and replaced the trigger with a Timmney.Gun shoots under a 1/2" and I still have her and a couple of others.
If you've never shot a Swift you don't know what your missing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the M77V in .220 Swift. Mine was set up with the Redfield 12 X 3200 target scope and Canjar set trigger. I had the No. 1V in .220 Swift too, also set up with the 3200 target scope, but in 24X. Over all, in the field, the .220 Swift just can't be beat. Very flat shooting with any 52-55 gr bullets and 38 gr IMR 4064. I made up a .220 Swift using a custom CPS single shot Bench Rest action. It was the ALV (Aluminum Light Varmint) with a right bolt and left port for loading. This action had a flat bottom and I set it up with the CPS aluminum stock, which is a cut out I beam with flat top. I fit and chambered it using the Lilja Bench Rest match grade light varmint 14" twist barrel. The trigger was the Jewel 2 oz target trigger, and the scope was the Leupold 6.5-20. Did it shoot......hell yes!
Like all things, they come and go, as someone just had to have it. I also had a CPS AHV (Aluminum Heavy Varmint) action set up somewhat the same but in 6PPC and Hart HV Bench Rest match grade barrel and Leupolds 36X scope, Hart 2 oz trigger, and the CPS aluminum I beam stock. These rifles would make a "ping" sound when shot with that aluminum stock. Oh ya, it was a shooter too! Used to take it to Tacoma, gave them a run for there money! Some how, someone talked me out of that one too.........I used to take the most care in rechambering and fitting. I did all my barrel fitting using Bench Rest match grade standards, tooling and compondents. I love running that lathe...... On that CPS .220 Swift, it used to be a 6PPC too. When I got tired of Bench Rest shooting, I rebarreled it to .220 Swift. I had to buy a new bolt for the 308 bolt face. I use to shoot the 6PPC in the Light Varmint (10.5 lb) and Heavy Varmint (13.5 lb) class. For some reason the LV was always more consistant and would out shoot the HV gun. To be competative in Bench Rest matches today, you have to be able to shoot and hold 1/10 inch all day long....... Rechambered to .220 Swift, the LV gun would shoot in the 1/4"-3/8" at 100 yds but in general, it was a 1/2" rifle. I used Bench Rest dies (Jones and Wilson) hand dies, fitted case necks and match grade bullets with carfull loading. So I figure, you can have the best and most rigid components to make your .220 Swift rifle from, and it's still a 1/2" rifle, but would shoot 1/2" all day. In my experiance, it would take an exceptional M77V or No. 1V with factroy barrel to shoot 1/2" consistantly...........KERMIT

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a hvy Barrel Tang Safety 220 Swift that I have taken several deer with shooting 60 grain Nosler Partitons. As P.O Ackley said Speed Kills.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
all of my Ruger rifles are tang safety

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I do not currently own any 77's with the tang safety.
I do have 220Swifts in a No.1 and a M77VT. I have removed the first stage of the VT's trigger and have the second stage at 8oz. That rifle has gotten more woodchucks than any other rifle I own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I to have the 220 swift in MII target , combined with Nikon Monarch 6-24 , noslar 50gr ball.tip those poor ground hogs . 200 yards is a joke , Reload everything i shot.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Got a KM77VT an a M77MKII in 220 swift. Nothing like it to reach out and touch the prairie dogs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oh, only tang safety Ruger I have is a .338. Also have one in the MKII, but prefer the tang.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a tang safety 220 Swift also, it was my father's and he passed it down to me when he got a remington vssf in 220 swift. There have been so many rounds shot through the ruger that the shells shot from the ruger even fully resized in a die won't chamber in the remington, or if they do they won't eject. btw both guns are fitted with luepold vari-x 3 6.5-20X40.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts