Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Model 77 Mark 2 in 30-06. I really want to do some modifications to it. The main things I want are a bipod and a good scope for it. The bipod is where I want to start. It is the "all weather" version. It has a sling mount on the front. My preference would be not to have to drill a hole. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Most of my bipods are Winchester, most of the bipods I’ve come across have the “thumb screw” to tighten it to the sling stud the Winchester uses an Allen nut for tightening. It will never loosen up on you. There’s also a sling stud on the bipod, (I’m sure most all bipods are set-up that way).

As far as scopes I lean more to Vortex, anything in the 4x12 range, I shot at longer distances than most so I like more on the high end and 4x still works for me in the woods.

Good luck on your search and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Is this equipped with the Zytel Skeleton (Boat-paddle stock)?

I wouldn't modify it if so. The skeleton stocked rifles have become collectible...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Harris bipod, they will attach to the sling swivel stud with zero modification, have an additional stud to atach the sling and the quality is top notch. As for the scope the Burris and Leupold products have great glass without breaking the bank. But the best thing to do is go down to a good sporting goods and check some out.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have had good luck with Harris as well, as far as scopes go I have not purchased one in a while but the last time I did the Nikon seemed to be best for the money as far as clarity, I'm talkin in the 250 to 400$ range

·
Registered
798 Posts
Go with Leupold scopes. If you should need warranty service there is no better. Other makes well you get what you pay for and they talk a great warranty but in reality it is not so great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is the boat paddle style. I got it off my dad. It has never had a round through it. He got it brand new and it came with a scope that the gunsmith never could get bore sighted. So he just left it in the gun safe with the rest of his collection. I really don't like the idea of modifying it at all. If I can't find a bipod that will work with what is there then, then i will probably get some kind of sandbag set up.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Yes it is the boat paddle style.
Rybud01.........leave it be, Zytel Ruger’s bring top dollar, any mods will only hurt its resale value. I have one in 7 mag, so on the range I use a front bag, in the field it’s usually my knee.

Also if you find you can’t float a dollar bill between the stock and barrel the entire length, don’t worry about it. As strange as it sounds they were designed to have forend pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rybud01.........leave it be, Zytel Ruger’s bring top dollar, any mods will only hurt its resale value.

Crazy as it sounds my dad got 3 of those Rugers... 1 in 30-06, 1 in 308, and 1 in 300 win mag. Got them all in the same day at the same gun show. All were brand new and he has only ever shot the 308.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Crazy as it sounds my dad got 3 of those Rugers... 1 in 30-06, 1 in 308, and 1 in 300 win mag. Got them all in the same day at the same gun show. All were brand new and he has only ever shot the 308.
I purchased mine at a gun show too, all weather stainless. I think it was ‘93, I do remember paying $400 back then.
I believe it was Ruger’s first attempt at a synthetic stock and I was on the fence about purchasing it. I actually thought it was ugly at the time but served a purpose. Compared to what’s out there now it’s a work of art and people know with a glance what you’re carrying.

I’ve been offered a little north of a $1000 for it but I’ll never part with it.

One last thing, if you ever want to put a little life back in the stock, wipe’er down with a little Ballistol and a rag.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Leave it as it left the factory!

I have a blued one in 7.62x39, and sold another blued one in .257 Roberts to a bigger and better financed collector than me.The Bob was new old stock in box and too nice to shoot so I didn't!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't use bi pods so can't make a recommendation. As to scopes stay away from Vortex. I have seen three 4x12 Diamondbacks & all had clarity problems. Save your sxelf problems & go with a Leupold. They may cost more but you get what you pay fore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts