Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one of these back in the 70s in 308. Superb rifle, good finish, good wood and shot great. I traded it for a Remington pump (I know, dumb) anyway, do ya'll ever see these out there? I know that Daly marketed them awhile and then Remington took over from them.

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
I had one of these back in the 70s in 308. Superb rifle, good finish, good wood and shot great. I traded it for a Remington pump (I know, dumb) anyway, do ya'll ever see these out there? I know that Daly marketed them awhile and then Remington took over from them.
i have got an interarms mark X .30-06 i bought when i was 17, put a 275 dollar simmons scope on it, with a fajen thumbhole midnight laminated stock, and have yet to bore sight or fire it..... have 5 boxes of the same lot, federal premium ammo too.

·
Registered
880 Posts
FYI...

Collector's Firearms in Houston has a couple of them, maybe more. One is a particularly nice lookin' .22-250...I looked at, and handled that one.

You can look at 'em on thier website...Collectorsfirearms.com, I think.

I'm not the best on rifle prices, but the .22-250 seems reasonable with an askin' price of $599.00.

Th' Interarms Mk X IS a fine lookin' rifle for sure.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It must be weakness on my part, buying guns. I was talking to a friend about Mausers on Sunday and he pulled a 98 Mauser out of his closet and offered it to me for $200.00. It's an FN 7mm Mauser with the sporter bolt and safety, it's in a wooden stock of unknown origin, not walnut, but not bad looking. So I bought it....he said he bought the Mauser years ago and never shot it, because he thought he was buying a 7mm Magnum.

He thinks the 7mm Mauser is too puny...:)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,691 Posts
Critch, When I was in gunsmith school back in the early 70's, I built this gun up from a '98 Mauser 7x57 barreled action. It accounted for at least 15 required school projects. I used to hunt with it and took many deer, elk, antelope, one black bear, and a truck load of coyotes. The 7x57 is favorably compared to a 270 Win for power, penetration, and range. Though recoil is quite mild, I can assure you it's not puny.

Because of the Mauser's fast twist rate, it likes bullets in the 150-175 grain range best. I worked up some deadly accurate varmint loads with 115 gr JHPs and killed coyotes at very long distances. The secret to success with light bullets is to keep the MV down in the 2500-2700 fps range. Still plenty of power for coyotes and very accurate.

My 160gr Speer Grand Slam elk load runs about 2550 fps and my 150 gr deer load runs 2700 fps. Both are tack drivers.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got time last night to mess with my newest acquisition. The blueing is still almost perfect, except in a few places there is some discoloration and some rust sprinkled along the top side of the barrel in tiny specks. The rifle is marked FN in an oval on the right side and the number 1950 (the date of manufacture, I'm sure)stamped right next to it. It has a series of proof marks on the underside. One looks like a stick figure griffin. The barrel is maked FNB 7mm.

The safety is a low swing type, very smooth, the sporter bolt is checkered on the underside.

The headspace is perfect, closes on the GO, not close on the NO GO.

I need to add that there is no cut-out on the side or the top of the receiver for the stripper clip.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,691 Posts
Critch, Your Mauser was made by Fabrique Nationale (FN) in Herstal, Belgium. After WWII, FN made a "sporting" version of the 98 with the same safety, bolt, and no stripper clip cut ... just like yours. These are excellent rifles ... typically much better than the military rifles. The factory is the same one where John Browning had many of his designs manufactured.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts