Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a KP89 or possibly a P89 for general use,and home protection.I've seen some aftermarket grips and some sights for it,but that's about it-who's modified their P89 beyond the simple items,and what all is available for it?
I really like the old "box" Ruger guns-Dad has had one for several years,and I always like it. He's also got a P90DC and a Blackhawk .357 that's a blast (pun intended:D) to shoot. I've looked at the SR9,but I think I've decided against it for now,and there are a few P89's still around here new-I think I'd like to have a new one before they're all gone.I was shocked to find out Ruger has dropped production on this fine,durable piece or shooting history.
JL

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Not a whole lot of after-market parts available for the P series. I did see a fella that had painted his frame OD with one of those bake on finishes from Brownells. Looked pretty good, actually. I think it was on The High Road.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a whole lot of after-market parts available for the P series. I did see a fella that had painted his frame OD with one of those bake on finishes from Brownells. Looked pretty good, actually. I think it was on The High Road.
I saw that last night "Googling" around for info. It did look quite good.
JL

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Not many aftermarket accessories for it, but then again, none are really needed.

A set of hogue wraparounds gives you more to hang on to, but if you've got small hands you may not like them. Mine ran every crappy aftermarket mag I could throw at it including some pro-mag 20 and 30 rounders. You can buy wolf spring kits in various types and weights that will reduce the trigger pull weight (this can help) and heavier recoil springs to tame recoil (not really necessary)

my advice, buy it and a case of ammo and have fun :D.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There's no reason why you can't have a little fun with one

EFK Fire Dragon extended ported barrel and Sprinco guide rod.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no reason why you can't have a little fun with one

EFK Fire Dragon extended ported barrel and Sprinco guide rod.
I like that extended barrel and those grips look nice-I've seen references to those Hogue grips all over-they must really be good.
JL

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I kinda' like that barrel, I'll look into one. As for the Hogue grips, you can't beat em'.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
yep, my P89 had hogues on it. My P90 has them too. Also the GP100 I have now, and the SRH I used to have. I like hogues. :D.

I have a Federal Arms ported barrel for my P90:

At the time the pic was taken it was also wearing heavy wolff springs to buffer this little load:

That's a speer 260 gr. bullet that was loaded to about 750-800 fps. Hot, hot, hot! :D.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Hogue grips are definitely the way to go on a P series pistol. I also like the look of the extended ported barrel. May have to get one of those.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I prefer the Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek rubber grips for my P89. They're thinner than the Hogues (but a tad thicker than the factory grips); they're discontinued by Uncle Mike's, but are still fairly easily found. They were designed by Craig Spegel, and have an excellent feel, and they index superbly for me. I used 'em in an IDPA match with driving rain throughout the match, and they provided an excellent grip-I posted one of my better scores that day.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
288 Posts
I like that extended barrel and those grips look nice-I've seen references to those Hogue grips all over-they must really be good.
JL
The Hogue grips are tops.....the insert that gives the grips a little stiffness and the rubber is molded to are a high tech plastic........not stamped steel. The rubber adheres well to the plastic and the plastic is lighter. I had Hogues on my KP 90.....but switched back to the OEM panels......since I have small hands I get a little better purchase with the stockers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts