Ruger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
One of the elements of "Stand You Ground" is protection from civil suit if a shooting is judged to be self defense.

With a revolver I really doubt that many experts will be able to judge whether a particular revolver is stock or not. By going to semi auto's in the 80's most LEO's don't get a lot of experience with revolvers unless they also own them. So if a spring or two have been changed then they are unlikely to find out unless you tell them. The main issue is were you in fear for your life. If you were defending yourself then I think the gun modification questions are just internet fodder and you will prevail. Can you find a case somewhere, sometime where a DA went after someone that modified their handgun, maybe but who cares. If you life is in danger then defend it with whatever you have, if it is a belt fed machine gun then so be it. Better to be alive.
What Terry_P said...I wouldn't tell anyone if you've changed springs or anything...and I've never heard of it being a factor in a self-defense situation. And in the discussion, what if you have a chronically sore or weak grip...that could be a valid reason to use 10# springs in your revolver.

Which brings up the concept of using a Polymer 80 framed pistol to defend one's self...if the defender assembled the pistol himself, does that make it 'incorrect'?

·
Registered
372 Posts
This subject's a well worn path on pretty much every gun forum. Opinions vary widely and differ depending on the states people reside. MHO? The only sure way to find out is if, God forbid, you wind up in court over a shooting incident. The outcome will answer the question, one way or the other.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you’re not comfortable carrying a gun you shouldn’t carry it, FWIW all my CC guns are bone stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What's the old saying?

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Besides, if I lived in a state where the authorities and / or District Attorney was that hot to go after gun owners and those who chose to carry a concealed weapon .....I'd move to another state.
I've heard that catchy phrase before but at my age I'd rather be carried by 6 than spend any time in jail.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you’re not comfortable carrying a gun you shouldn’t carry it, FWIW all my CC guns are bone stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. The issue is whether a "modified" gun increases liability risks regarding CC which we've covered. Anyone who's old enough to remember Peter Gunn(Craig Stevens) probably wouldn't want to spend any of his remaining years in jail either. BTW, I watched your show all the time after school.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm not. I was asking, in the aftermath of a defensive shooting, if upon confiscating and inspecting your revolver they find your gun not to factory specs (modified springs by you) it's a significant liability problem. I've read elsewhere it can be. I was asking other peoples thoughts on the matter.
You have "read elsewhere that it can be"...
Are these documented court cases, or internet forum ramblings?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't recommend light or lighter or lightened triggers on SD weapons.

Whittle away at a target or range gun till your hearts content.

I'm not talking liability, I'm talking experience and practical sense. You will carry a lot and shoot seldom. When you do shoot you will want to practice with the trigger you carry.

New or inexperienced shooters will attempt to cover a lot of bases because, let's face it, firearms are expensive. It seems like you can cover a lot of bases by putting a target trigger and night sights from hell on a carry gun.

Facts. I deal in facts. It's called D.O.P.E.
That stands for Data On Previous Encounters. It will tell you that in a handgun combat encounter you will never see the sights on your pistol and likely be uncertain of how many shots you fired.

Don't tell me about an article. Tell me about the taste of bile in your throat.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
TO MY KNOWLEDGE ..there is no instance where a GOOD shot was made and then the person was convicted of a crime because they modified their gun.

Best or worse thing depending on how you look at it is to not draw your weapon unless you have determined that the threat requires neutralizing immediately.
I concur...as long as any modifications fall within the factory specs, there should be no concerns regarding the specific mods.

My Ruger revolvers have 10# Wolff Springs in them...simply because it makes them more comfortable and more consistent to shoot...because they all feel the 'same' to me!

Keep in mind, US laws regulate behavior, not the individual nor their specific weapon of choice (as long as it's legal to begin with) so the law can only look at behavior (mindset, decision-making, etc.)

It's one's decision-making that will be looked at and assessed for competency, validity, correctness, etc.

I have a basic rule...my gun does not and will not come out of it's holster unless needed for use...if it ain't needed, it ain't out!

Knowing your state and local laws regulating 'Use of Force' is a good place to start in educating one's self to know what the parameters (the cans and can'ts) are in a self-defense 'use-of-reasonable-force' situation is in the first place.

Stay safe...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Back in olden times before the scramble to semiautomatic pistols a number of police departments mandated DAO triggers on revolvers to avoid claims that an officer inadvertently shot a miscreant after cocking a revolver creating the dreaded "hair trigger effect." As far as I know, no one was successfully prosecuted or sued for "inadvertently" shooting someone with a DAO revolver.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

21 - 33 of 33 Posts