Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had surgery just over 6 months ago and lost a lot of muscle strength and stamina. I can handle my American (.243) unsupported, but am having trouble keeping my Model 700 (7mm rem mag) steady for more than a few seconds.

I've been looking at mono-pods, bi-pods and tri-pods to help me with support and want to know if anyone has any recommendations. If all goes as planned, I'll be still-hunting off a hillside into a draw where I hope one of the few nice bucks I've been scouting will still be hanging around. Shot will be 150-200 yards and between a 30-45 degrees angle.

I'm leaning towards Bog-pod or Stoney Point but can't decide between bi-pod or tri-pod. What say you?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
No but I will take one tomorrow morning & post it if can figure out how . I got it at Big 5 no two were alike if you have hard wood sticks the right size & length you could make one your self.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Harris Bipod is on the pricier end but is one of the best options, they also have different options including swivel models. I got my benchrest 6-9in for about $80 but its very sturdy on my almost 10lb Rem 700 SPS Varmint, great option for target shooting.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
While i have never hunted with a tripod, i have almost never hunted without my homemade shooting sticks, and would say that i don't think a tripod would be any more stable, but be alot harder to pack around while hunting. I make mine out of fiberglass fenceposts and tie them together with a strip of bicycle innertube for a cheap option.
The Bogpod sure seems like a nice piece of gear to have.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just picked up Cabela's CAB-100 monopod which is $19.95. Makes a pretty good walking stick and works OK with rifles and my GP100. If I was going to be sitting for an extended period, I think a tripod would be the way to go. One, it would stand on its own and two, would be much steadier for accuracy. For something cheap to start out with, I'm satisfied with the cheapie from Cabela's.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I use a Stoney Point monopod for field shooting with my pistols and it gives me darn near the same stability that I get shooting from a rest. If you will be doing a lot of walking and taking offhand shots, I recommend it. If you will be sitting, though, be tough to beat a bi-pod or cross sticks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Deerme; I have the Bog-pod tripod and liked very much. I used in Jul during a hunting trip in Africa and it worked great. My Professional Hunter had the Primos trigger tripod, and they were great also. One advantage of the Primos that I liked over the Bog-Pods is that you adjust the tripod with only pressing the trigger, vs adjusting one by one with the Bog-Pod. The Primos was a little heavier than the Bog, but not by much. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Remington do a copy of the Harris Bipod ....i have a Harris and a Remington ...the only real difference is the Harris is a lot more expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts