Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took one picture from the campground where I stayed last weekend and the other is of the sun covered in smoke from my deck at home (same fire). This is the Skyland fire south of Glacier Park. It's to the west of me and east of JB. Several fires in the state are going wild and summer isn't over yet.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I hate to see those forest fires. When my wife and I stayed in Idaho last year it was the same way, fires all around us there for awhile. We drove to Boise one time and decided to go a different way, and there were places on the road you could barely see the road because of the fires. The smoke would come in on you too. Bad news all around. Hope you and JB stay out of harms way.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Man I wish you guys could get a break with some rain. I was out there just before all this started. A friend of mine is in Great Falls on business and he said there's smoke everywhere, ash on cars and stuff. Crazy. Be safe, fellas.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Didn't realize there were the big fires this summer. Guess with all the rain it just seemed unlikely. Weather is different this year, no hurricanes, central states cooler than normal, excessive rain in the south and mid-contintential states. Even us down here haven't seen temps in the high 90s yet. Just very muggy. One bumper crop year for the mosquitos!
Fire is part of nature, hope y'all stay safe out there.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I to pray that ya'll get some rain. Here in Texas we have way too much rain wish I could send you some. I use to be a volunteer fireman and know how hard it is to fight just a grass fire. Those forest fireman and smoke jumpers are busting their behinds doing their level best to fire those fires. I do beleive that we would have lost all of our forest's had it not been for those brave men and women. Not only the ones on the front lines but those that support them. So please all ya take a minute and pray for those out there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We could not only use the rain for the fires but the farmers are having a bit of a hard time too. What makes it so bad for the firefighters is the heat. We have had seven days so far over 100 and several weeks with temps seldom going below 90. Way above normal. It's Algore for sure:D

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
We have several fires around us now... the worst one is from the one you see...

Here is a closer view which is now over 20,000 acres large.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
We have that fire east of us that is plenty of miles away, I feel for the people that live on or near East Glacier and that region. We have two major fires working west of me that have sent plumes of smoke across the sky making it look like a major rain storm... but it is smoke.

I will try and get some pictures tomorrow where I can get better shots from the east side of the Flathead Valley to the west, showing you all what we are dealing with.

I can't even get out and do any target practice right now the conditions are so bad.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The lower valley area is pretty safe, I feel for the ones that live in areas like Star Meadows and the outter wooded areas. We here in the Flathead Valley area are just feeling the effects of being choked out.

I work in the outdoors and the air is sick, but for those with heart and lung problems it is a much bigger problem. The elderly is another concern as well. Right now if we got 1,000 wildland fire fighters I don't know if it would help.

Airial water and slurry suppression drops is the best way, but sometimes wind prevents choppers etc, and when the wind kicks up you know the fire is going to make a run, and many times crowning fires that jump from tree top to tree top happens.

WE NEED RAIN and nothing is forecasted as of yet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hoping for the best, for all of you in harms way. I certainly can relate. We have gotten plenty of rain so far this year, but have had some nasty fires in my area in recent years.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey JB the wind on Friday pushed the smoke down low to the ground out by Cut Bank, Shelby, and Chester and with the wheat being golden and the sun turning orange it really looks like a scene from Mars. It would be a great time to sit on a hilltop and read a sci-fi novel.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
quote:Originally posted by shdwrdr

Hey JB the wind on Friday pushed the smoke down low to the ground out by Cut Bank, Shelby, and Chester and with the wheat being golden and the sun turning orange it really looks like a scene from Mars. It would be a great time to sit on a hilltop and read a sci-fi novel.
The sun gave an weird look to everything yesterday... today the smoke is being pushed in a differant direction altogether.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Pictures are worth a thousand words and I saw plenty on them this morning. News saying the fire is out of control and nothing anybody can do without rain and no wind. They make it sound like the whole state is a gonner. Hope they are wrong. I'm praying for the rain. I have a friend that moved from New Orleans to near Billings on a ranch . Haven't heard from her in a couple of weeks. Hope they are in the clear as are you JB and shdwrdr.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm pullin for ya !

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like BOB bag time.
Get 'em ready for that "just in case".