Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here ya go, I'm on the right with my doe, little brother in the middle and twin on the left with his buck and doe. Antelope season lasted till noon opening day, and took three shots. His doe at 375 with a 130 Nosler Accubond handload in our great-grandfather's 1942 M70 .270, mine at 350 with a 168 Berger handload in my 7mm Rem mag, his buck at 150. Had the whole family out and my girlfriend as well, thats what i love about antelope hunting! It's a team sport, and provides some dang good eating too, we love the speedgoat!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Good hunting mate.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Nice Trio, Looks like you'll have some good food for a while..

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Nice Cowboy....well done its always good hunting with family or close friends ....thats what its all about mate.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Hey Cowboy I noticed those buildings in the background ....do those "lopes" come in close to farmland?...are they not to bothered by a little civilization?....looks like good open country for some long shots.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cowboy, like you, I love antelope hunting. My first big game hunt (and animal) was an antelope back when I was 15. I've taken my kids and my wife antelope hunting. There is no other North American game animal like it. They are so darn fast, but also really curious. I've taken all of mine but one at under 200 yards. My longest shot was a doe that I belly crawled for almost 2 hours, covering about 175 yards of open ground. By that time the herd was done resting and chewing their cud, so they got up to leave. I had to take the shot or watch them walk away. With a slight holdover on her back and a careful trigger squeeze in the prone position, my .30-06 dropped her at 384 yards. No horns, but absolutely the best hunt ever!

We grind all of our antelope and make it into spicy breakfast sausage. It makes the most incredible sausage gravy and biscuits. Even my daughters who don't like meat so much like antelope sausage. Oh man, my mouth is watering. :D

On a side note, the cheetah is the fastest land animal, people say. But after about 100 yards, it runs out of gas. (See video.) But the North American antelope (biologist say it isn't a "true" antelope), can run about 50 mph for MILES!! No question in my mind which animal wins the "fastest" gold medal.

Not the cheetah:

Save the Antelope - YouTube

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kiwi, we actually havested them a few miles away on some of our hayland, the picture was taken close to our shop after we had them all together. The funny thing is that there are actually antelope in the picture behind me! They can be darn smart and hard to hunt, but cropland is hard for them to resist! They are a small target to hit and due to the nature of the terrain they are usually on, they can offer some potential for long shots. A shade over 400 is the farthest i've had to take one, we practice beyond 600 but i truely feel that i can nearly always find a way to get inside 500 yards on most critters.

Tom, We surely do love the little pronghorn, and know they deserve more than to be shot on the run out of a Willy's Jeep as was common for men of my grandfather's generation to do. When i first started hunting at age 12, i shared that same .270 in the picture above with my brother, only it had no scope! We killed many deer and antelope at ranges from 200 yards to 15 feet with it, so we learned to sneak pretty well and wait for the right shot. I think antelope is some of the best meat out there, so we cut steaks and make burger out of the rest. I think this year we will make at least part of one goat into some good breakfast sausage, and maybe fire up the smoker to make some links if we get time!
Take care, i wish i could have you all over to the ranch for a beer and a steak sometime!

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Kiwi, we actually havested them a few miles away on some of our hayland, the picture was taken close to our shop after we had them all together. The funny thing is that there are actually antelope in the picture behind me! They can be darn smart and hard to hunt, but cropland is hard for them to resist! They are a small target to hit and due to the nature of the terrain they are usually on, they can offer some potential for long shots. A shade over 400 is the farthest i've had to take one, we practice beyond 600 but i truely feel that i can nearly always find a way to get inside 500 yards on most critters.

Thanks for the info Cowboy....Montana would be on my places to see and hunt list.... ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Those are some good looking goats you and your brothers have. Ever since I was a little kid I've wanted to tag an antelope. Hopefully in the next few years I can make it happen.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Hey Cowboy I noticed those buildings in the background ....do those "lopes" come in close to farmland?...are they not to bothered by a little civilization?....looks like good open country for some long shots.
I grew up in MT. Last summer I was at a family reunion in Northeastern MT. On July 4th weekend, as we were driving down my cousin's farm road (30 miles from no where) to his house, we went past two nice antelope having a snack on the wheat. They were 30 yards from us and in no hurry to leave. It was another 200 yards to the houses, poles buildings, etc.

At certain times of the year, they are fearless of people.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Congrats to all of you! I want to get out there to hunt some 'lopes soon, and I have a .270 that wants to as well! My dad's got 4 'lopes in two trips to SoDak, it was a wonderful time and beautiful country out there. Been to every western state except Cali (West Coast but still), and really loved Arizona and Wyoming especially.

BTW, that 1942 M70 in .270 is a very cool gun. I want one just like it someday.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice job Cowboy! You guys did great. Would love to get out west someday - looks like some beautiful country and good hunting.

Wave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts