Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked one up yesterday finally and promptly bought from ruger extra clips for it. i'm wondering, will any .45 acp full moon clips work here or just the ruger proprietary ones. the ruger clips are a little pricey considering i can get 3-4 times as many for the 15 bucks ruger asks for 3. just wondering is all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nope, the only moon clips that will work in the new Redhawk model 5032 45 Colt/45ACP are the ones made for that specific revolver. TK Custom makes what I consider a better moon clip but they are $7.95 ea. So they are more expensive than the Ruger moon clips, but they work much better in my Redhawk.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Already been addressed in other threads on the new gun.

The rear of the Ruger cylinder is cut completely different from the .45 ACP Smiths & Colts.
Denis

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, the only moon clips that will work in the new Redhawk model 5032 45 Colt/45ACP are the ones made for that specific revolver. TK Custom makes what I consider a better moon clip but they are $7.95 ea. So they are more expensive than the Ruger moon clips, but they work much better in my Redhawk.
thanks, glad i went the route i did, saved me a headache.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The proprietary moonclip is the reason I probably won't buy the Ruger. I have a 45Colt S&W Mtn Gun and a S&W 625 in 45 acp that accepts most any moon clip. Can't see any reason to buy the Ruger. Ruger can be frustrating when they have so many great guns that require proprietary items like these moon clips or magazines (mini-14 and scout rifles). I have read why they do it but using industry standard items seems like it could boost sales. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
No way to make standard moonies work in the Ruger convertible with both calibers in the same cylinder.

They didn't do it just to poke people in the eye.
Honest. :)
Denis

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
TK Customs makes THE best clips for the "hybrid" .45 LC-ACP Redhawk.

Sure, at $80+ per 10 they're expensive but they seem like they will last forever as long as you don't bugger them up by bending them.

FYI even .45 LC Redhawks that have been "converted" to take clipped .45 ACP take different clips than the .45 ACP-LC model, TK Customs sells two different clips and they warn that the new .45 Redhawk will NOT accept the same clips as the "converted" .45 guns.

I don't know if converted Redhawks can use other types of clips.

I was about to buy a 7.5" .45 LC Redhawk I found used, and have it cut for clipped .45 ACP but then realized I'd need 2 different types of clips..........too much confusion so I didn't go for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Soooooo, based on all of the above posts, do the aftermarket clips make the Redhawk reliable with .45acp? Or, is it better to get a 45 colt version, and have it converted, so that some other type of clip is used?

A local dealer has the Redhawk combo at a very nice price, although I suspect that it was traded in due to a lack of reliability with the .45acp (based on numerous other post on that subject).

I started looking at either getting a 45 Colt revolver (S&W) or 454 Casull (Super Redhawk) and having it cut for clips. Doing so, though, gives me an expensive gun to shoot cheap ammo (lots of 45acp on hand). Thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts