Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waaay back in 1992, I bought my first gun. A Smith & Wesson 629 Classic. Nickel plated, 6" barrel, WAY cool hand cannon!

LOOOOOONG story, had to sell the gun. Was way more into cars than I was guns, and sold it to build what I though back then was a "race" engine for my car.

20 years down the road, I'm back into the gun collecting/shooting hobby. I actually MISS that first one I bought for myself. Since then I learned what a joy having a handful of Ruger is! Now I own an SR40c, a Mossberg rifle, and my new MKIII. As a side note, I also learned what a RACE engine is, and that thing I sold my 629 for was NOT a race engine, I'm currently making 605 horsepower from 347 cubic inches of naturally aspirated pissed off FORD! But that's a different story.

Here's the moral dilema. I find myself wanting a wheel gun, but alas can't afford anything with "hawk" in the name, and I also love the looks of the 629 S&W Classic. I thought about a Rossi .357, but I already own a Ruger .40, I'm not looking to downgrade!

It boils down to this, I'm VERY sorry but my next purchase will not be a Ruger. Can't afford it right now. Talking things over with my son, we've narrowed it down to two choices:

Taurus 44SS6
Taurus 444SS8

Guess which one my son picked! LOL

So, I guess what I'm asking here, is the Raging Bull worth the extra money, or stick to the standard?

ALL thoughts and views are appreciated!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Taurus revolvers don't have the best reputation and from what I've heard their customer service is also lacking. That's not to say that you won't get a good shooter but for the amount of complaints I hear I'd say stay away from them. If your set on a 44 I'd suggest scouring the used gun racks.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Taurus revolvers don't have the best reputation and from what I've heard their customer service is also lacking. That's not to say that you won't get a good shooter but for the amount of complaints I hear I'd say stay away from them. If your set on a 44 I'd suggest scouring the used gun racks.
Just the opposite of what they say over at the Taurus forum! I like the Model 44, nice clean standard gun. It would be my next wheel gun.
I own a Taurus 66,.357 magnum, 7 shot 6" barrel. It the most accurate firearm I have fired. Absolutly love it!!!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've had two Taurus 44s, 1 Raging Bull and 1 Tracker. Both have hit the road. Taurus service is terrible in my opinion. The Bull had to go back within 6 months of purchase. they kept it 8 weeks and fixed the problem but caused another one. The Tracker wouldn't lock up correctly when the hammer was at rest. At that time I had purchased 4 Taurus in the space of 6 months. I have only one left and the other 3 were traded for Rugers! I'll pass on the Taurus but if it is what you're after by all means jump in. Guns are decent but........

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I have to agree with thndrchiken I own a Taurus 85 that is 20 years old it belonged to my Mom and until May of this year it had only been fired 20 times. I have put about 300 rounds through it since. I like it but I have heard that their quality has fallen off over the last 10 years or so. They did put out a press release a few weeks ago that said they were going to start making better firearms. I would have to look at the gun really close to see if it looks and feels well made. I know how hard it is to fight off the new gun bug, but saving a little longer and getting something you know will hold up may be worth it. That said I would think that the Raging bull would be one of their better models as it is their premium gun. Bottom line though it is your decision to make your money to spend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, just to update you all. Been making layaway payments on the big ole Taurus 444SS8. Wife found out, and said "Do NOT bring that gun into this house.." And to be perfectly honest, after handling it so often, the craftsmanship just isn't where I felt comfortable. Stupid little details, but that would have bothered me, A LOT. Like ejector bar infront of the cylinder wasn't exactly straight, I've had problems closing the empty cylinder several times, stuff like that.

Soooo, I was still making payments. Just not sure what I was gonna buy, but making payments on it. Was thinking Mossberg 12 gauge or a Rossi .357 I've had my eye on. Went to the LGS today to throw some money down on the yet unknown gun.

And then I saw it... walked past it 100 times, but today I saw it.

A used BN-36! Just like graywolf1 said, I can actually own something with "Hawk" in the name! What a bad-a$$ weapon that is!

Whatcha think?

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Taurus unfortunately not in the same league as Ruger.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Never owned or shot a Taurus. I have owned Rugers since 1979 - two of them. In the last couple of years I got bit by the bug again (with help from my brother in law and started buying again. Ruger quality is just as good now as it was back then. Both of my sons own them also. We shoot fairly often and I have to say - buy Ruger.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now it's coming down to Doll Hairs, I'm not gonna lie.

Taurus 444SS8=Used BN-36 dollar wise.

OR, I can walk out of there tomorrow with a Rossi stainless 357.

LGS told me "Don't know what you want, but do it NOW!"

But that BN is SOOOOO such a hunk of iron, but it's gonna take some time/$ to get to that level.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
And NOW since I saw the BN-36 at the LGS, what I'm about to tell you happened.

It literally FELL into my lap! Not gonna tell you my last name, but its GERMAN. I am very proud of my European heritage. My family literally came over "on the boat."

Had a friend text me last night, an friend of his had a gun for trade.

Long story short, I now own a GERMAN Weihrauch .357 Bounty Hunter! I couldn't be happier, you can literally "feel" the quality when this thing is in your hand!

So much for the BN-36! I'm still making payments to the LGS, but not a clue what I'm buying!

I gotta tell ya, this Weihrauch is a BAD BOY!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.