Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new reloader I find that I am taking more notice of this forum.
Before I used to just skim over it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Goodluck and also pay attention to your ammo production! What are you reloading? I started on 9mm and .38/.357 and it was easy enough, now doing .223rem. If youre doing rifle, bottleneck cases, or steel dies you can make your own lube for pretty cheap mixing lanolin and rubbing alcohol (ratio of 1-12). 99% wont seperate, less than that and you have to heat up everytime to melt the lanolin but I just run it under hot water in the sink.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,810 Posts
Yup - me too. UPS just delivered my Rock Chucker kit yesterday! Saw the pictures of your bench - awesome! I'm tying to figure out mine....

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nick.
First trial loads for 9mm, .45C & .45ACP last week (yet to shoot).
Loading for .270 Win. in the next few weeks, time permitting.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup - me too. UPS just delivered my Rock Chucker kit yesterday! Saw the pictures of your bench - awesome! I'm tying to figure out mine....
Thanks mate, I've had some really good help.
Good luck with it all.

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
Hey, James I just joined the reloading folks myself. Its pretty cool to see your own work come together.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, James I just joined the reloading folks myself. Its pretty cool to see your own work come together.
Hey mate, I'm enjoying it, another hobby.
Haven't seen you around much, all well?
All the best to you & yours.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Glad to see you here James, you add a TON to the other areas of the forum already! I hope you enjoy the sport of reloading!

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
First trial loads for 9mm, .45C & .45ACP last week (yet to shoot).
Loading for .270 Win. in the next few weeks, time permitting.
Gee James, I thought you were a veteran reloader. Glad to hear your enjoying it. I'm fairly new at it myself. It is addicting and you'll find yourself reloading more and doing the other things when time permits. I load 9mm, .40, and .243. Have fun with it and be safe.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to see you here James, you add a TON to the other areas of the forum already! I hope you enjoy the sport of reloading!
Thanks mate.
Another hobby.

Gee James, I thought you were a veteran reloader. Glad to hear your enjoying it. I'm fairly new at it myself. It is addicting and you'll find yourself reloading more and doing the other things when time permits. I load 9mm, .40, and .243. Have fun with it and be safe.
Thanks mate.
Next should be .357.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Beerman & James,
Welcome to the reloading addict...oops, I mean hobby. ;)

James - over 9700 posts & you're just now beginning to reload?
I'd say that's doing a LOT of research before you start. :D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
James - over 9700 posts & you're just now beginning to reload?
I'd say that's doing a LOT of research before you start. :D
It's not going to cost me less.
I'm going to have more to shoot..... :D

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Hi James, welcome to my second most favorite part of the group, (I think yo know my favorite). :D There's a ton of great info and experience here. You'll fit in nicely. Mate.

BTW, I like your new reloading bench (I'm building a new on too), I just don't know how you keep it so clear. Mine looks like a gun store got dumped on it. :D

Best too you and welcome aboard!!!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi James, welcome to my second most favorite part of the group, (I think yo know my favorite). :D There's a ton of great info and experience here. You'll fit in nicely. Mate.

BTW, I like your new reloading bench (I'm building a new on too), I just don't know how you keep it so clear. Mine looks like a gun store got dumped on it. :D

Best too you and welcome aboard!!!
Thanks mate, give it time, it's only new..... :D

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I'm starting to get serious about it, too. I think about opening up the boxes everyday now. :D

But my main excuse... uh, reason is that the house I moved into last February has a great workbench in the garage, but no AC. The weather is starting to get cool enough to survive in there for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Tomorrow just might be the day! I've even started collecting my brass again.

Do you guys sort before you clean your cases or afterwards? I've only got dies for 9mm and .45 but I've been collecting my other pistol sizes, too which are .380 and .40. I've got a Dillon press and I think the other dies aren't that expensive.

Anyway all my brass is in boxes and bags all together. I'm thinking I'll just start cleaning it and sort it out later.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm starting to get serious about it, too. I think about opening up the boxes everyday now. :D

Do you guys sort before you clean your cases or afterwards? I've only got dies for 9mm and .45 but I've been collecting my other pistol sizes, too which are .380 and .40. I've got a Dillon press and I think the other dies aren't that expensive.

Anyway all my brass is in boxes and bags all together. I'm thinking I'll just start cleaning it and sort it out later.
Every day now..... hey..... :D
I will sort before, sort of depends also on the amount and the calibre.
Don't know what dies cost over there, around the sixty to seventy dollar mark here.
Just be carefull when cleaning different calibres together, they have a habit of ending up inside each other.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Every day now..... hey..... :D
I will sort before, sort of depends also on the amount and the calibre.
Don't know what dies cost over there, around the sixty to seventy dollar mark here.
Just be carefull when cleaning different calibres together, they have a habit of ending up inside each other.
I've noticed they like to cohabitate in just the bags they're in. I just checked and I located the DVD that explains the press setup.

And I think the die prices were $50-something US dollars so I guess that's in the same ballpark.

Yep, tomorrow (daylight today) I'm going to clear off the space and unpack the equipment. I'm pretty sure I've kept it all together in one place. And hopefully I'll get started cleaning sorting brass, too. Think I will pre-sort. If the cases slip inside each other it would seem like it would make the cleaning less effective on both cases.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, tomorrow (daylight today) I'm going to clear off the space and unpack the equipment.
That's the ticket mate, once it's all out on the floor, you have to keep going..... :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts