Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it's not just for guns. These Yeti Rambler tumblers have gotten very popular down in our neck of the woods. And you can buy them in any finish you like as long as it's satin stainless steel. A perfect opportunity for Cerakote!

No different a process for a stainless steel tumbler than for a gun - degrease, blast, de-gas, apply color, bake. I decided to try my hand at a two-tone color job to see if I could pull it off. I think I did OK. The bottom is Snow White and the rest is Robin's Egg Blue, Cerakote's answer to the increasingly popular Tiffany blue look.

If Tiffany were to sell a Yeti Rambler I think this is what it might look like.

Not a gun project but a project nonetheless and borrowing from the gun tinkerer's bag of tricks.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
And a great way for beginners to get some practice with something that's NOT a $900 pistol! Great idea Waveform!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Now that you've mastered the two tone, it's time for the muddy girl camo challenge. :D

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Can't wait to see the updates as your project progresses.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that you've mastered the two tone, it's time for the muddy girl camo challenge. :D
I think that's a hydro dip challenge but I could be wrong. I always defer to Neon Horse when it comes to muddy girl pink camo. He's the expert in THAT department.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tumblers are brushed stainless steel. First step was to degrease them in acetone for 15 min. From this point on they cannot be touched by bare hands! Nitrile gloves seem to work best for me. After drying from the acetone (which happens very quickly as that stuff evaporates super fast) the tumblers were blasted with aluminum oxide to give the surface a good "tooth" for the Cerakote to grip. After blasting they were placed in the oven to "de-gas". With guns this is very importand in order to drive out any oils that may still be present. I didn't think there would be any oils lingering in these tumblers and almost skipped this step but decided not to take any chances. In this photo they're in the oven for the de-gassing step.

My two colors for this project.

I applied the white to the bases first and baked them to cure.

Then applied the blue and back in the oven for cure. There was some tricky tape work involved in this two-tone effect.

After they cured and cooled I reattached the original labels so they look like a new product....only better.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,542 Posts
I think that's a hydro dip challenge but I could be wrong. I always defer to Neon Horse when it comes to muddy girl pink camo. He's the expert in THAT department.
Did someone say Muddy Girl? My fav...
So neon you finally admitted to liking pink, I thought so.:D Great work wave, as always not that I expect anything less.;) I have plans to dive into to the cerakote eventually, as soon as I locate a cheap oven for my shop, hopefully soon. Oh yeah and a blast cabinet as well.;)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thought occurred to me as I was working on this project that I don't think Ruger has offered any product with a factory applied Cerakote finish. Am I right in this? I know they have black nitride finishes on several products and use lots of colors and patterns but I think they are all molded colors or hydro dipped patterns or some such and not Cerakote. My Colt Defender 1911 is a lightweight with an aluminum frame and the box label clearly indicates Cerakote so that's what Colt used for the stainless look on the frame. I've seen a few S&W revolvers that have Cerakote factory finishes. But unless I'm mistaken Ruger has held off on using the product.

No bearing on anything. Just a tangent thought related to the topic.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,542 Posts
The thought occurred to me as I was working on this project that I don't think Ruger has offered any product with a factory applied Cerakote finish. Am I right in this? I know they have black nitride finishes on several products and use lots of colors and patterns but I think they are all molded colors or hydro dipped patterns or some such and not Cerakote. My Colt Defender 1911 is a lightweight with an aluminum frame and the box label clearly indicates Cerakote so that's what Colt used for the stainless look on the frame. I've seen a few S&W revolvers that have Cerakote factory finishes. But unless I'm mistaken Ruger has held off on using the product.

No bearing on anything. Just a tangent thought related to the topic.
I believe you are right, i have seen many manufacturers cerakote, but not ruger that I remember either. You may be on too something, I feel by far its one of the most robust finishes available. I like blued, stainless, parkerized etc. But cerakote is wicked, and allows for personalization. I hear its a booger bear to take off, even with a blasting agent.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Most cool, I did not realize 1st pick was finished product.

·
Super Moderator
21,666 Posts
Here's a thought send it to Tiffany as a gift maybe they'll invite you out for an Iowa hunt. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts