Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several months ago, I built a stainless Birdshead Single-Six, using an old 4 5/8" stainless barrel that I cut down to 3 1/2". I liked the looks and feel of the Birdie so last week I took it to the indoor range for it's maiden voyage. It flunked badly .... about 5 1/2" groups at best from a bench rest and three different brands of 22 LR ammo. When I got home, I cleaned the bore then took a look with my endoscope. Rifling was barely visible .... the barrel was toast, probably from shooting a lot of 22 mags. This left me in a dilemma .... do I buy a new barrel and if so, what length? My question was answered by Ebay, where I found a 6 1/2" stainless take off barrel that included an ejector rod housing, ejector rod, ejector spring, and mounting screw. It even had the proper screw-on front sight. The decision was made ... I will convert the birdie back to a plow handle Single-Six with a 6 1/2" barrel. I ordered the barrel and while waiting for it to arrive, I installed the birdshead grip frame and grips on my Wrangler .... making it a Wranglebird. I posted the results of this mod a few days ago. The barrel assembly arrived today .... exactly as advertised.

When I screwed the barrel into the frame, I found two issues ... the front sight was about 140 deg from being at top dead center and the barrel screwed too far into the frame, bottoming out on the cylinder face. I started by using my lathe to cut back the barrel's collar a few thousands at a time until the barrel tightened with the front sight at top dead center. Next, I again used my lathe to cut back the barrel face about .014". My goal was to set the B/C gap to .004" but it turned out to be .003" .... I didn't want to risk screwing it up so I stopped. The original plow handle grip frame was in my goodie box so I assembled the gun. I buffed the entire gun with a "brush finish" and was very satisfied. The last step was to install a nice set of grips that were also in my goodie box. I now have a KNR6 (Mod 00626)and a Wrangler with a Birdshead grip frame .... life is good!

Here's the results:

Here's another picture of my Wranglebird:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,849 Posts
Life is good indeed. I love it when a plan comes together. That looks great and is better than new specification wise. Well played sir.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nicely done, as usual. I wonder just how big your Goody Box is?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Lowegan with your background and talent I would expect nothing less than perfection. A beautiful piece of workmanship thank for sharing.

·
16,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I took some measurements .... B/C gap is .003", Endshake is .001", Headspace is .006", trigger pull is 3 lbs every time. Cylinder-to-bore alignment is perfect. This should be an excellent shooter but the old man pulling the trigger shakes like a dog pooping peach pits so I don't expect miracles at the range.

Reactions: shakatak

·
Registered
327 Posts
Very nice Iowegan. Hope you have a great time shooting it.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,646 Posts
Results are fantastic and job well done. Good use of time and a finished project or two is good for the soul. Staying busy when bored is sometimes not as easy as they make it out. Getting to do something you love and having it turn out so nice is priceless. I noticed from following the Wrangler Birdshead project and going back on old threads there are many here that love the Birdshead grip frame. Appreciate you sharing your projects! Thanks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looks like a good use of your COVID incarceration !

·
16,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NCG, I USED to be a good shot but now I'm lucky to keep the shots on my own target.

Reactions: Kenny53

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Your boredom sure creates things of beauty.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Sweet looking gun Iowegan, I'm looking for a project gun myself but I'm more partial to Bisleys instead of Birdie's

·
Registered
451 Posts
NCG, I USED to be a good shot but now I'm lucky to keep the shots on my own target.
It happens to all of us, sooner or later, and there’s not a lot to do about it. Keep on pluggin’.

·
16,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
turnkey, How about a Wrangley .... a Wrangler with a Bisley grip frame? 200 bucks for the gun and another hundred for the grip frame. A pretty cheap project and I'll bet there aren't too many like it.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
turnkey, How about a Wrangley .... a Wrangler with a Bisley grip frame? 200 bucks for the gun and another hundred for the grip frame. A pretty cheap project and I'll bet there aren't too many like it.

I'll talk to ya later on this subject

1 - 20 of 28 Posts