Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my order from ACME bullets yesterday. :) I got the 158 grain SWC Hi-Tec coated Lipstick Red. They look great! :) They came in a really neat wood box, have no lube grove and the beveled base does not have as much bevel as most other bevel base SWC bullets I have seen. They have plenty and make me wonder why others have so much. :confused:
Did some measuring, loading and shooting with the new bullets. First of all they measured 0.358" to 0.3585 according to my digital calipers. The last Hi-Tec bullets I got were from Black And Blue Bullets. They were smaller measuring 0.357 to 0.3575. They were not as accurate as Missouri Bullet LSWC, but their accuracy was acceptable.
These new ACME bullets were loaded in Starline Brass over 4 different powders or weights. They had a little "Cobra Head" in the Starline Brass. My brass was resized in my old Lyman carbide dies. The resized brass measures 0.3745. The loaded rounds measure 0.3775 where the bullet is seated in the brass. This increase diameter does not prevent the rounds from sliding easily into the cylinder of my Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel.
My first impression is that these are the most accurate lead or coated bullets I have loaded. :D (My GP loves 125 or 130 grain jacketed bullets over 20.2 grains of 300-MP powder for accuracy.)
I loaded them over Accurate #9, which is one of my favorite powders, over Accurate #7, which is new to me, and Winchester 296. They were very accurate and did not lead any. I will work on different loads with these bullets later. ;) I'll just have to buckle down and shoot more. Maybe I'll do a range report and post it later.

Does the sized diameter of 0.3745 seem normal for resized brass?
Does a slight "Cobra Head" on reloaded ammo bother anyone?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've switched completely over to Hi-Tek coated bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. I won't shoot anything else.

Hopefully as Hi-Tek gains in popularity, that obsolete lube groove will disappear.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Coated bullets are my favorite, clean in the gun and clean on the loading press. I have been shooting .358 size bullets in my GP100. The company states these bullets are 18 Burnell hardness. With the coating I don't think it matters as there is no exposed lead. Going to try some .357 size too see if there is any difference in accuracy.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hmmm. Are the red bullets really Hi-Tec or are they powder coated? All the Hi-Tec bullets I have experience with are dark greyish black (about 2K 45 ACP and 9mm).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I see on different bullet sites the Hi-Tec comes in many different colors. I have had Black and a Gold color from Black and Blue Bullets. Bayou Bullets show copper, black, green and other colors. One site has blue Hi-Tec bullets. I do not really know how many colors it comes in. Several months ago Black and Blue Bullets had a choice of five different colors for any of their bullets, but the last time I looked most were one color or three choices. I liked the black best but the dark red are alright. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Acme does state that their red "lipstick rounds" are in fact Hi-Tec coated. I'm on my second batch of 2500 and really like them. No smurf fingers or blue residue in the ammo box like the blue bullets. The 147g shoots well in my M&P pro with the 5" barrel.

I'm shooting these over 3.7 grains of ETR-7. About the same as with Power Pistol. I'm seeing a bit better accuracy when I get the power factor above 135, but that might be the powder.

The wooden boxes are cool but pretty light weight. My first one got dinged up a bit in the mail.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
those bullets look delicious! thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts