Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by my local gun shop and they had not one but two modified choke 1950s Model 12s. A couple questions...

One of them (30" barrel - the other is a 28") has an 'X' stamped after the serial number, on both places. What do you suppose that means?

They both have rubber pads on the butt. The rubber is very old and hard, but I thought originally the Model 12 only had that thin composite butt plate, am I wrong?

Both guns seem to be a little banged up, but both have blueing on the receiver that is in excellent shape. If the wood is not in similarly fine shape (neither is the barrel), is it safe to assume that it has been reblued? If it was factory reblued would they stamp an 'X' on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have read before that an "x" was added by winchester to one gun when they messed up and put identical serial numbers on two guns. Easier to do that than junk the gun or start grinding/polishing to remove the mistake. Don't know how accurate that info is......
I checked my blue book on the serial number ranges of mdl 12's and none are listed with an "x" suffix so the addition to cover a mistake in stamping two guns with same serial number makes sense.

Eddie, this is a good site (unfortunately high dollar) of a guy who specializes in collecting winchester guns. He has a mdl 12 section of some for sale and he also publishes a book about mdl 12's. http://daverifflegunsales.com.phtemp.com/index.htm

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've emailed that guy a couple times about a 16 ga. that he could have sold me by now if he was more responsive. I call him and he's perfectly nice on the phone, says he got my email but he never gets back to me.

I forgot to mention, I found the business card of the guy I met at that show a while back who had two, a 1960 and a 61. He still has both but won't be doing any shows until February. His guns, though the bluing was more worn, were in generally a lot better shape than the ones at the store today, and they were about the same price. Cheaper, even.

Deputy, how beautiful is that new in box never fired 12 ga. on that site? Jiminy Crickets would I love to have that.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Several nice pics there indeed of some very beautiful guns. As i said he is proud on some of the prices----but several of them were marked sold!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
thanks for the site yep sure nice looking shotguns until ya see the price lol.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I have located my Winchester Model 12. I am very close to purchasing this fine example, a 1952 modified...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Just got to love the absence of plastic.....no disrespect intended to the new generation of guns but them ole' guns were well made and required the human touch in fitting. A good representive of days of old.....Too labor intensive/expensive to produce today.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Eddie I think you have a very fine example of the Model 12 you were looking for. It appears your wait paid off.

If you have any questions about disassemble and maintenance let me know, and I'll help with what ever I can.

-John

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you John, I might just take you up on that. I have no reference material yet but am sure there's a ton available online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts