Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been writing about both my Mark IV Target and Mark IV 22/45 bolt stop pins not staying in place. Good news is the 22/45 seems fine now. Took both out for about 100 rounds. I played with the bolt stop pins in both. Meaning, I drifted them back and forth to see if any one position would seem to make the pins stick. Looks like the 22/45 is fine but the Mark IV Target will randomly drift in either direction. I'd need to examine and push it back at a minimum every twenty rounds or so.

Spoke to Customer Service this morning about the Mark IV and of course they offered to "fix it". However, six to eight week turnaround currently. So because I wasn't eager to have it gone for that long they are sending me some free replacement parts. Specifically, they're sending replacement pin and several pin retainer springs.

The favor request I had was if someone could please reply with a good video link for me to reference for the needed disassembly and reassembly. I've not done anything further than field strip but am game to go after this armed with a good video. I'm assuming I have to take a lot more out than just the subject parts.

Thank you for your help,
Eric

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quick search on the u tube will give lots of results. Not much to these handguns. Different folks like different kinds of instruction. Have to find vid that works for u.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Eric,

The disassembly and assembly videos I've come across do not cover removal or reinstall of the main spring assembly or the MkIV rear push button/bolt stop lockdown sequences. Last year I performed this service on my MkIV Hunter and found the task pretty simple and straight forward (just need to punch out #44 "bolt stop cross pin" while holding pressure on the #28 plastic push-in Latch)! However, if no videos surface soon on this topic, here are the steps I took (my own procedures) to completely remove\reinstall the MkIV rear bolt stop push button. Firstly, print out OM pages 34-36 for quick reference!

1. remove the #22 safety lever, releasing the hammer\bushing\safety.
2. I also removed the dangling disconnector (and subsequent trigger)...didn't have to, but less hassle with exposed parts.
3. Using a 3/32" punch, I gave the #44 Bolt Stop Cross Pin a good wack to dis-engage the #41 Bolt Stop Pin Retainer Dual Side Wire Spring!
4. Used the punch to slowly push out the #44 Cross pin while keeping thumb pressure on the #28 Latch (which remains spring loaded)!!
5. Once #44 Cross pin was all the way out, I slowly pulled the punch while continuing to hold pressure on the Latch (so that the #28 Latch wouldn't launch...don't ask how I know) *&$#@
6. Now, the whole assembly (Bolt Stop Pin - Latch w\2 little springs - The Pin Retainer and the #24 Main Spring Housing (w/ #25 & #26 intacted) will be loose and accessible for replacement (new cross pin and new pin retainer)!

For reassembly, I used the 3/32" punch to align the parts back into the frame, then chased the punch with the Cross pin! The dual pin retainer then snapped into the cross pin grooves very solidly and to date, all is functioning perfectly! If I missed anything, that happens after a year of -many life events- fogging the memory...guess my hard drive's not what it use to be! :cautious:

Good Luck...You'll do just fine Eric! ;) (y)

Ted

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Ted!!

Eric,

The disassembly and assembly videos I've come across do not cover removal or reinstall of the main spring assembly or the MkIV rear push button/bolt stop lockdown sequences. Last year I performed this service on my MkIV Hunter and found the task pretty simple and straight forward (just need to punch out #44 "bolt stop cross pin" while holding pressure on the #28 plastic push-in Latch)! However, if no videos surface soon on this topic, here are the steps I took (my own procedures) to completely remove\reinstall the MkIV rear bolt stop push button. Firstly, print out OM pages 34-36 for quick reference!

1. remove the #22 safety lever, releasing the hammer\bushing\safety.
2. I also removed the dangling disconnector (and subsequent trigger)...didn't have to, but less hassle with exposed parts.
3. Using a 3/32" punch, I gave the #44 Bolt Stop Cross Pin a good wack to dis-engage the #41 Bolt Stop Pin Retainer Dual Side Wire Spring!
4. Used the punch to slowly push out the #44 Cross pin while keeping thumb pressure on the #28 Latch (which remains spring loaded)!!
5. Once #44 Cross pin was all the way out, I slowly pulled the punch while continuing to hold pressure on the Latch (so that the #28 Latch wouldn't launch...don't ask how I know) *&$#@
6. Now, the whole assembly (Bolt Stop Pin - Latch w\2 little springs - The Pin Retainer and the #24 Main Spring Housing (w/ #25 & #26 intacted) will be loose and accessible for replacement (new cross pin and new pin retainer)!

For reassembly, I used the 3/32" punch to align the parts back into the frame, then chased the punch with the Cross pin! The dual pin retainer then snapped into the cross pin grooves very solidly and to date, all is functioning perfectly! If I missed anything, that happens after a year of -many life events- fogging the memory...guess my hard drive's not what it use to be! :cautious:

Good Luck...You'll do just fine Eric! ;) (y)

Ted

·
Registered
577 Posts
Eric,

If you find any video that covers this MkIV button release procedure, please share it with us!! (y)

Ted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts