Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks I posted problems with the action on this gun. Now it appears I have another. It fails to fire reliably with the 45 ACP cylinder. The 45 Colt fires OK. It looks like all the chambers are the same depth but the firing pin seems shorter than normal. I compared the pin extended to a couple other Blackhawks including another with a 45 ACP cylinder. They all appear longer. When it misfires the primer impression is modest. When I use this same cartridge in the other Blackhawk it fires OK. This is getting frustrating. I sent it back once before and now it seems I have to do it again.

Is this a common problem?

Interesting, I never heard from Ruger of Lipsey's on my complaint.

Chuck C.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bwinters,

With 75K rounds you must be reloading. This has been another issue. I have to load the 200g SWC so that the rim of the bullet is below the case rim. On the 200 RN I use for Cowboy I have to load it deeper than for the 45 Colt. On the plus side I get much better accuracy with both bullets than in the Colt case.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My 45 convertible has never misfired. No idea how many rounds but "lots" mostly 45acp. My 45colt cylinder is picky about seating depth and/or bullet diameter like what I am guessing bwinters experienced.

Not scientific but rough check, if you have an empty gun, cock it to get the hammer out of the way, hold it up sideways to light and push the firing pin till it bottoms, pin end should disapear into the cylinder.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Both of my .45 Flattop convertibles work fine with .45 ACP. I am even using CCI-300 primers which have harder cups than Federal or WLPs.

From what you are saying, is that either you have a shorter firing pin or the 'hammer-transfer bar-firing pin' pinch gap is to big. I had this problem when I filed to much off my hammer to relieve the pinch (had to replace the hammer :rolleyes: ). Of course this should affect your .45 Colt loads too. Only other thing is head spacing so that the cartridge is seated to deep in the chamber so the firing pin can't reach the primer (unlikely). Maybe from over taper crimping (you don't need much)? . Cartridge length? About all I can think of that it could be.

I also had reamed my cylinder throats to .4525. This helped the seating bullet problem somewhat. But I still, like you, seat the bullets deeper in the case than .45 Colt loads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
With single action .45 ACP, cartridge headspaces on case mouth. Forward edge of case rests against a shoulder in the chamber. Taper crimp just enough to hold bullet from sliding back into case. Excessive crimp lets round seat too deep in chamber for firing pin to make proper indent. In the "rimless" .45 ACP, headspace is measured from standing breach to case mouth.

Compare seating depth of your handload with that of a factory round. They should be the same. If chambers in cylinder are bored too deep, excess headspace and misfires result. If .45 ACP cylinder has excessive endshake, misfires are possible.

In the "rimmed" .45 Colt, headspace is measured from standing breach to rear surface of cylinder, against which cartridge rim rests.

Rugers has produced chamber exits smaller than bullet diameter. Such can prevent the cartridge from seating. Such tight chambers may the loading gate from closing, and prevent cylinder rotation.
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I have several rugers, currently 9 SA and this is the first gun with problems. I sent it back to Ruger today so we'll see what happens.

ChuckC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts