Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by Cabelas on my way home and ran into a heck of a deal. They had 6 Crimson Trace Rail Masters on sale for $60 rather than the regular $149. It also included a pretty nice knife/tool that has all the wrenches etc. to install and adjust the sight. Pretty danged cool. I haven't used a laser before so this is going to be interesting.

The main reason for the laser though is that after 27 years of marriage my wife said that she would like to learn to shoot. This was after holding the SR22, 10 years of Fox News EVERY morning, and eight years of Obama. She works for United Health Care and finally got an up close perspective of how messed up things are right now. The laser should up the "cool factor" and help teach some trigger control. Plus, if this is the only gun she will shoot for the time being, I want her to have success when she really needs it.

Here's the SR.......

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Nice SR22 and a good deal on that laser. Congrats.

Glad you got your wife to start shooting with you. It took me almost 40 years to accomplish that! She still will only shoot .22 LR, but at least we go together and have a good time.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Oh how the SR22 has made so many people get into shooting ... I see it all the time and have experienced the same thing with mine. Everyone wants to shoot it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
My wife has began handgun shooting with my SR22 too ^^

Really good choice, you won't be disapointed.
Could you tell more about this tool? (in private if you don't want to polute this thread)

I've always been told - and agree - that a laser isn't the best for beginning, because the guy - or girl - could focus more on the red dot that moves everywhere on the target than on shooting basics (position, breathing, pressing the trigger softly and constantly, sights alignments)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife has began handgun shooting with my SR22 too ^^

Really good choice, you won't be disapointed.
Could you tell more about this tool? (in private if you don't want to polute this thread)

I've always been told - and agree - that a laser isn't the best for beginning, because the guy - or girl - could focus more on the red dot that moves everywhere on the target than on shooting basics (position, breathing, pressing the trigger softly and constantly, sights alignments)
Morning,

The tool is like a mini leatherman. It has the allen wrenches to adjust the sights, four different screwdriver heads, a punch, another blade with a hex head and a knife blade. It also has a clip to attach to your belt. Handy tool, as long as you have it with you when you need it......:)

I agree with you about the use of the laser and that it's very important to learn to use the open sights first and NOT depend on a battery to make the shot. I got the lase for a few reasons. The SR can be dry fired and with the laser, you can get instant feedback when sitting on your chair at home. I thought that since my wife was just starting out it make it easier when we got to the range to actually put a live round down range. Anything that will increase the odds of success.....hitting the bull....is fine by me.

I have night sights, fiber optics, or a combination (TFO'S) on the guns that I use in low light conditions. I also practice with a flashlight so shooting when the sights are not "clear" is not much of an issue with me. I looked around and couldn't find any tritium sights for the SR so the laser is the next best thing. If all she is comfortable with is the 22 for now, I want it as simple as possible to use the gun effectively if she would ever have to use it defensively. I'm thinking the laser will help her put as many 22's on target as she possibly can to make up for the lack of caliber.

The last consideration was the "cool" factor. Both my son and I think it's cool as heck. I hope she does too......if you like the gun, you're going to want to shoot it.

I do have a question though. Do you, or anyone else know that if you cock the hammer with a round in the chamber to bring the gun into single action, and the hammer slips, will it fire? I haven't tried it at the range yet and was wondering if not having the trigger depressed prevented the firing pin from striking the round.

Take care,

Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
ScottMn when you can get your best friend to go shoot with you, its a good day. You are lucky because a lot won't go or do not want anything to do with guns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts