Ruger Forum banner

More Swiss shooting

7K views 56 replies 12 participants last post by  mrerick 
#1 · (Edited)
Been busy shooting here in Switzerland, while the season is still nice. End of fall and winter is all about indoor shooting.

Saturday a few friends from our shooting club and I were invited to a shooting challenge organised by the shooting society of the Lausanne police corps (Lausanne being a city in Switzerland).

5 warm up shots (2&3) and then 4 X 5 shots in 5 minutes, 50, 40 and 30 seconds on the ISSF speed target at 25 meters for a total max of 200 points (warm up shots being used in case of a tie)

My weapon of choice in the ordnance division is my trusty Sig P210-1 in 7.65 mm parabellum (.30 Luger). Note the vintage ammo, still accurate.

2 warm up shots, great

3 warm up shots, still ok

Time to load up for the scoring shots

1st pass, ouch

2nd pass, better

3rd pass, agonisingly missing the 10

Last pass, finally a nice one

Total score of 181 (the secretary struggles with additions)

Yesterday I went to another nice shooting range for some rifle and pistol practice

300 meters open sights with a milsurp Sig 510-1 (StGw 90). EDIT 550-1, not 510-1

I am on lane 7, they closed one out of two lanes for social distancing / Covid

The contraption on the side is a brass deflector

A couple of 80/100

Then I fiddled with sight adjustment a bit

And finally turned in a decent score despite a 6 and a 7

See less See more
#2 ·
Finally some 25 meters pistol practice next door

CZ 75

I’ve been struggling a bit with this pistol so I asked the gunsmith to improve the trigger a bit, he deburred some parts and it improved it quite a bit.

Sig P220 (ex Lausanne police)

Colt Mk IV 9mm Luger

Milsurp Waffenfabrik Parabellum 06/29

Milsurp Sig P49 (210-2)

#3 ·
Thank you for another wonderful update, I truly look forward to them. The P210-1 competition pistol is a beautiful handgun, and that 1964 ammo is still working well indeed! I really like that rifle of yours. The 300m range with video monitor and electronic scoring is something I envy. I was glad to see that some other Sig, CZ, Colt, and Luger pistols got out for some exercise. You have a fabulous collection, and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

#10 ·
Looks like you are having a fantastic time at the range lately! Even though each group is not a LOT of rounds, that is still quite a bit of ammo. Do you have the same horrible shortages and ridiculously high prices that we have in the USA?

#12 ·
Looks like you are having a fantastic time at the range lately! Even though each group is not a LOT of rounds, that is still quite a bit of ammo. Do you have the same horrible shortages and ridiculously high prices that we have in the USA?
I’ll normally shoot between 150 to 250 rounds per outing.

We don’t. Whereas our best / cheapest prices are more expensive than in the US in normal times, we do not have fluctuations depending on where the wind blows politically.

If anything we keep getting cheaper deals. I just bought two cans (500 rds each) of .223 Horandy frontier for 380 Swiss francs ($ 410) and that’s the cheapest I’ve ever bought 1000 rds in this caliber

9 mm Geco (Ruag) is just above $ 200 / 1000 now

#11 ·
That is an impressive rifle! Once you were warmed up and dialed in your groups and scores improved nicely. Is that a heat shield above the barrel? Do you get a lot of mirage visible through the peep sight? I admire all of your Sig 210's , but that hard chromed pistol sure looks and shoots great!

#13 ·
It is indeed, I nicknamed it Godzilla, big, heavy, kinda ugly in some ways, but very powerful.

It’s a pig to carry too, and whilst I didn’t serve (being German) my Swiss friends of my generation have bad memories from lugging it around for 50 km walks with the combat package.

Yes it’s a heat shield, a rubber/nylon stretchable band. Most of the time I forget it at home, so I guess the mirage is not too disturbing.

My rifle shooting pace is also quite slow, it’s a small distant target at 300 meters with open sights so I take my time, and maybe the barrel doesn’t get too hot.

#14 ·
Thanks for sharing. Love your collection.

I was in Switzerand for a week in 2001 and didn’t notice a single gun shop.

Reactions: OLIMKI
#20 ·
Well more like shooting US guns this time

Indoor range 25 m pistols and 50 m rifle

I put fresh springs in the three USGI pistols. I won’t shoot them much but I had to make sure they function well and go bang

Colt 1911 (1913)

This one was hard work, the trigger breaks at 10 lbs [emoji15]

Colt 1911A1 (1943)

Remington Rand 1911A1 (1943)

ArmaLite AR-10 (1958)

Springfield Armory M1A (2011)

And some rapid fire at 50 m

First time firing this new to me rifle, worked flawlessly with 3 different brands of ammo, and felt great. The mass of the rifle absorbs the recoil nicely, especially compared to the light AR-10 which kicks noticeably more

#23 ·
#26 · (Edited)
The last two Saturdays a couple of friends and I decided to do something different. We have access to the summer range since my buddies are in the shooting committee, one of them is actually the President of the Association and they have the keys. They also got the green light from the local authorities. The weather was fairly nice and mostly dry.

I picked up some solid frying pans from the junkyard. Some rattle can spray. You see where this is going.

We attached them with wire to the frame at the 50 m lanes (there’s also this little metallic arrow, and we shot some cigar tubes as well, those are challenging targets even with a scoped .22 and a little wind).

And off they go

This is what it looks like at 50 meters

We brought several guns with us and decided to limit it to .22 lr. since families like to stroll in this region and we didn’t want to be too much of a nuisance.

Scoped Savage Mark II bolt action (not pictured)
FN Trombone pump action

Scoped Ruger 10-22 semi auto

Sig P210 .22 lr conversion

AMT Lightning

One buddy brought this nice S&W 17-6 8 3/8”
and a semi auto FN in .22 short

Another buddy brought a CZ 457 bolt action rifle and his new Glock 44

Temperature is cold but the range is hot

We had a ton of (cheap) fun and blasted some 7-800 rounds..

Good thing I recently bought 5000 rounds at $ 90.-/1000

I also brought along my two Anacondas to show them to my friends. They couldn’t resist and insisted we put a couple of rounds with the 4”. I had some old Remington 240 JHP in the speedloaders

Went trough like butter

Another great shooting day in Switzerland.

#30 · (Edited)
Took some more real Classic handguns at the 25 m indoor range today

1979 FN GP35 Capitan

1940 Colt M1903 Hammerless (that one was a bit of a stretch at 25 m today)

1936 Mauser Luger

1979 Colt GM Mark IV series’ 70 9mm Luger

1972 S&W 66

And a Classic rifle at the 50m range
1980 Colt AR-15 SP1 carbine with a vintage 3X Colt scope

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.