Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy catches drone with epic cast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQi4yr8Ihc

...I love the youtube title though "Catch of the day? Fisherman accidentally hooks unmanned drone as it flies past his boat" Huh? Looks on purpose to me (great cast BTW) and I guess my definition of a pier is different from whomever posted the video (a boat??)

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Very cool!
He did an overhead cast which is very illegal on public piers, but he snagged the culprit.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Thinking about this one a bit. And I don't want to start some discussion that veers off into Minefield territory. But is the drone operator out of line here? I don't think so. He was flying his little drone in a very public place and not in someone's back yard. I'll admit knowing you're being photographed by some stranger is creepy but like it or not we are photographed far more often than we like to admit. Video survellience is everywhere and it's being done by public and private sectors alike.

The drone thing will be interesting to watch as it plays out in the coming years. I was thinking how I often take lots of pictures when I'm at a national park or in a big city like New York or Boston and there are lots of strangers in my photos. We don't seem to be too bothered by people with cameras but I would resent seeing a drone hovering around Old Faithful taking video even though I bet the footage would be very interesting.

I think the drones look like fun to fly. The video footage would be fun to watch. But when I see one flying around I feel like I'm being spied upon and it kinda creeps me out. I am conflicted about these devices.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nice cast.
All that is left is to skin, gut and fry it..... ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wonder if it will taste like chicken?

·
Banned
551 Posts
Thinking about this one a bit. And I don't want to start some discussion that veers off into Minefield territory. But is the drone operator out of line here? I don't think so. He was flying his little drone in a very public place and not in someone's back yard. I'll admit knowing you're being photographed by some stranger is creepy but like it or not we are photographed far more often than we like to admit. Video survellience is everywhere and it's being done by public and private sectors alike.

The drone thing will be interesting to watch as it plays out in the coming years. I was thinking how I often take lots of pictures when I'm at a national park or in a big city like New York or Boston and there are lots of strangers in my photos. We don't seem to be too bothered by people with cameras but I would resent seeing a drone hovering around Old Faithful taking video even though I bet the footage would be very interesting.

I think the drones look like fun to fly. The video footage would be fun to watch. But when I see one flying around I feel like I'm being spied upon and it kinda creeps me out. I am conflicted about these devices.
I am also. It seems cut-and-dried if it is over my property (blow it away) but in a public area I don't think the drone should be 'put down'.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
That is why fishing lures are considered weapons on plane. Never pack in you carry on.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That was worth watching just to listen to the music of Hugo Montenegro...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yeah, I'll agree the fisherman was in the wrong here, but it was an impressive cast. (which is the main reason I posted it) I don't think it brought the thing down though because I saw, on the original FB page, there was on a short video of the drone owner unwinding some line tangled around one of the propellers so I think it probably broke off and the other three (or more) motors were enough to bring it back to the owner for a landing. I'll agree they're annoying but in public you're probably on camera many more times then you realize each day whether it be drone, security camera, cell phone, red-light camera or whatever. If you're talking private property though duck loads work well on these.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
I never thought of using fishing tackle, but an ounce and an eighth of number eight has.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
And this is cool how? Moron is lucky it wasn't my drone or he WOULD be buying me a new one. The drone flyer was doing NOTHING wrong. These anti-drone idiots are getting way out of control. They somehow feel in their pea-brains that they're entitled to destroy other people's property. No different than rioters who destroy other people's property in my eyes.

·
Registered
951 Posts
And this is cool how? Moron is lucky it wasn't my drone or he WOULD be buying me a new one. The drone flyer was doing NOTHING wrong. These anti-drone idiots are getting way out of control. They somehow feel in their pea-brains that they're entitled to destroy other people's property. No different than rioters who destroy other people's property in my eyes.
Yep, what that fisherman did was no different then walking up to someone and breaking their very expensive camera because they were taking pictures in a public place. He's lucky the drone was able to stay aloft not dive into the drink. I'm guessing it was a 6 or 8 rotor drone to handle that fishing line and keep so steady. A quad would have lost control as soon as a rotor was disturbed. I likely would have confronted him if it were mine.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Those people who have drones need to learn to keep them away from people and anything that can hook it, knock it down, or other-wise prevent it from bothering them!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Then learn to be responsible with it and don't be an invasion of other people's privacy, and if over someone's private property, that as well.

If it's over my property...especially if my kids are outside...who knows if you are a registered sex-offender in search of new victims?

I say finders keepers!

I wouldn't buy you a new anything!

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Then learn to be responsible with it and don't be an invasion of other people's privacy, and if over someone's private property, that as well.
Where/when was the drone owner being irresponsible?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts