Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
You should go one Gunsamerica.com. Ive bought a bunch of rifle and pistols there and you always seem to find a cheap deal. They had quite a few last time I was on. I have a 33 Tula Hex bolt with a boyd stock, my bolt had the handle bent and scope mount added and a leopold vx2 3-X10 on it. What a fantastic rifle and great cheap ammo

·
Registered
184 Posts
You should go one Gunsamerica.com. Ive bought a bunch of rifle and pistols there and you always seem to find a cheap deal. They had quite a few last time I was on. I have a 33 Tula Hex bolt with a boyd stock, my bolt had the handle bent and scope mount added and a leopold vx2 3-X10 on it. What a fantastic rifle and great cheap ammo
i second this,..
a good source for info when you get one is 7.62x54r.net

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was more looking for one im my area so I could look it over first.

I was just told about a gun show in St. Charles this weekend so I think I may check that out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Mustang: Dude, those M91/30's are all over the place in Southern California and we're overpopulated. I'm honestly surprised you can't find one in Missouri. Maybe, step into an LGS and see if they can just order you one. You should wind up paying up about 100-125 bucks for it. Do yourself a favor and load up on Ammo right now as well. Not because of the panic but because there hasn't been a " run " on it yet.

That's 7.62x54r !

Enjoy your new Mosin !

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey Mustang: Dude, those M91/30's are all over the place in Southern California and we're overpopulated. I'm honestly surprised you can't find one in Missouri. Maybe, step into an LGS and see if they can just order you one. You should wind up paying up about 100-125 bucks for it.
I went to a shop in Sep and they had one but I did not like the one they had so I asked when they would be getting a new case they said as soon as that last one sold. I told them to give me a call when the new case got there and got nothing so I called them the other day and was told the same thing every shop is telling me now "we have had them on order since sep but have no idea when they will get here and when they do the price is going up" So apparently they where everywhere here to until I wanted one.

Do yourself a favor and load up on Ammo right now as well. Not because of the panic but because there hasn't been a " run " on it yet.

That's 7.62x54r !

Enjoy your new Mosin !
I actually already bought some ammo and stripper clips a while ago but would still like to get more when I can swing it.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
They're great guns and pretty fun to shoot, the recoil is a little stout but that never bothered me. I've had a few of them, always end up selling them to help buy some other gun. Was about to buy another one a few days ago, but then a Remington 510 .22 that looks like it fell out of a time capsule popped up at the LGS. Will likely buy more in the future, rifle or carbine don't matter to me. They're fun, cheap in every category, and about the toughest rifle in the world.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You are well advised NOT to buy one without inspecting it carefully in hand first.
Stocks can be warped & cracked , handguards ditto, and rust is always a risk.
I looked at one at Cabela's a while back where the entire barreled action would move back & forth in the stock about 1/8 inch.
Denis

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I went to the gun show and may have got it stuck to me a little but I got one.

It's a 1938 (now officially my oldest gun) Izhevsk matching numbers with no re-crown that I am pretty sure has been refinished. What I did not know when I bought it (or think to ask about before paying) was that it did not come with any of the stuff it should including the bayonet.

Guess all that's left now is cleaning and taking it out to shoot to see if I like and want to keep it.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Well I went to the gun show and may have got it stuck to me a little but I got one.

It's a 1938 (now officially my oldest gun) Izhevsk matching numbers with no re-crown that I am pretty sure has been refinished. What I did not know when I bought it (or think to ask about before paying) was that it did not come with any of the stuff it should including the bayonet.

Guess all that's left now is cleaning and taking it out to shoot to see if I like and want to keep it.

(now officially my oldest gun)
Looks like you got the cleaning rod with it. The oilers and bayonet can be picked up cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You are well advised NOT to buy one without inspecting it carefully in hand first.
Stocks can be warped & cracked , handguards ditto, and rust is always a risk.
I looked at one at Cabela's a while back where the entire barreled action would move back & forth in the stock about 1/8 inch.
Denis
In my expierience "Rust" is never a problem with these rifles, as much Cosmolene they pack it with, im sure they can live in the ocean for a while, its nasty stuff but its the mosin's best friend, i have several mosin's and they are all tack drivers, they shoot better than my 2 captured sniper k98 German mausers. i just bought 660 rounds with stripper clips for $125. its a great gun, no gun collection is complete without one. come on over here to Houston, they are everywhere here. $119 out the door, 2 ammo pouches, tool kit, sling, bayonet

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
And in my experience with five of my own & one borrowed, there were rust divots & pitting to at least some degree on four of the six, including one about a quarter-inch wide on the barrel & relatively deep.
On my sporterised sample, even with a little cleanup of the barrel surface while cutting it back & removing the sights, there's still a very visible large pit under the Duracoat.

If yours don't have any rust, you did well.
But- they do need to be inspected before laying money out. Don't just buy blind.
Denis

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like you got the cleaning rod with it. The oilers and bayonet can be picked up cheap on ebay.
Yeah that's what I figured but it still would have been nice to have a matching bayonet. Even though I will probably never need it or any of the other stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If that rifle turns out to be a keeper. Look into rock solid industries for a new handle and scope mount. It worth it and they do an amazing job. If you stock is messed up boyds is he place to go. Cheap beautiful wood stocks. Welcome to the club of Mosin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check with Darren at citizens armory in Mexico Mo. I've bought 5 or 6 from him in the last 3 years for gifts for family members . They have been great rifles . I generally
catch him at the Kansas City gun shows . His son used to work the tables with him
but I believe he is in the service at the moment.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot to put what I ended up paying.

The guy wanted a little more but I got him down to $125.

If that rifle turns out to be a keeper. Look into rock solid industries for a new handle and scope mount. It worth it and they do an amazing job. If you stock is messed up boyds is he place to go. Cheap beautiful wood stocks. Welcome to the club of Mosin
I was thinking of a mount that goes where the back sight is and a pistol scope to save some cash and not have to mess with the bolt. I was already planing to get a Boyd but like I said this stock looks to be refinished and is actually pretty nice so I may put it off for awhile.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
And in my experience with five of my own & one borrowed, there were rust divots & pitting to at least some degree on four of the six, including one about a quarter-inch wide on the barrel & relatively deep.
On my sporterised sample, even with a little cleanup of the barrel surface while cutting it back & removing the sights, there's still a very visible large pit under the Duracoat.

If yours don't have any rust, you did well.
But- they do need to be inspected before laying money out. Don't just buy blind.
Denis
None of mine ever rusted or had any pitting on them. I thought I'd see that you lived in Washinton state, but you live in Utah strangely enough. Washington has a reputation for wrecking guns, but Utah has no such rusty reputation. Strange.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The state I live in has no bearing on the longterm storage conditions of the Mosins before they ever reached America, and that's what created rust & pitting. :)
These rifles CAME that way.

One ordered from a well-known importer came with a cracked stock, I'd paid extra for a "select" sample. Returned.
Its replacement was so pitted all over its receiver I literally gave it to a friend for parts in disgust.
Subsequent Mosins imported by that company that I bought were all inspected at the gunshop before I laid money down.

People have reported nasty surprises under the woodline when removing stocks, one of mine still in full military trim has that large one. Any deeper at all & I wouldn't fire the thing. You can't tell about what's under the wood at the gunshop, but you do need to look everything else over in person.

On the sporter, the main large pit was under the handguard, but it's tolerable. Annoying, but tolerable.

It's always a crap shoot on a Mosin. Sometimes you lose. :)
Denis

1 - 20 of 25 Posts