Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here have one? I keep seeing them at big 5 and such. As low as $75, which is hard to pass up. I read that the Red Army used them as sniper rifles.

I guess my question is, would is be something I regret, even for under $100?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had an M38 and it shot 6" groups at 100yds. with iron sights. The M44 is the model that BIG 5 generally sells and it's a bit longer and has a side folder bayonet. It's very practical if you ever get the urge to run your target through. :D

They also sometimes sell the M91-30 which pre-dates the two models above. All of them shoot the 7.62x54R cartridge. The R stands for rimmed.

Yes, they were sometimes used as sniper weapons with special scopes and dedicated mounts. They're fun to shoot and they send about a three foot flame downrange. :D

Ammo's relatively inexpensive and available almost everywhere. Just remember they're Military Surplus and they were designed to hit a mansized target, not a little round bullseye at a range. That said, there's some good ones out there and some are definitely more accurate than others.

For lots of excellent info on them or most any Milsurp rifle, check out the Surplusrifle.com forum.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Misin Nagant

For the cost, Mosin Nagants can't be beat! I have bought and traded several over the years, and the are a hoot to shoot. The only problem is that they tend to multiply - one just isn't enough! There are so many types and variations available that you may end up addicted.

Ammo is relatively cheap, but most foreign military surplus ammo has corrosive primers, so clean accordingly. The M44 with side-folding bayonet can be found several places for under $100. Surplus ammo runs about 15-25 cents per round. If you buy the M44, be aware that it was sighted in with the bayonet extended. Shooting with the bayonet folded tends to move POI to the left on most M44s. As stated before, a three foot fireball is common, and recoil can be rather stout. Most of the surplus ammo has ballistics somewhere between a .308 and a 30-06 (147 grain bullet at about 2900 fps).

By all means, get one! The best bang for the buck going.
You may wish to check out the following sites for more info:

7.62x54r.net

mosinnagant.net

russian-mosin-nagant.com

Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
They can be excellent guns. Look for one with a matching bolt and a nice bore. You may have to play with it, particularly stock bedding, to get it to shoot as well as you'd like, but they are capable of phenomenal accuracy for such a cheap gun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have three, two 44's and a 91-30 all are good shooters and I don't think you'll be disappointed too much with any one of them.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have a M44 I got for $80.00. It is fun to shoot and at fifty yards I can get 5 inch groups but at 100 yards I get 7 inch groups. The iron sights are a little hard for my eyes. The best part is the large fireball the short barrels produce.

·
Registered
333 Posts
RP
Get one now. These are fun guns to shoot just for the fact that thay are surplus and have been in a war is cool. Doing research on the rifle will expose you to the history of not only the rifle but of the world. People will ask you about it on the range because it looks old and forien. And best of all you will experience what a soldier felt while shoot this great rifle. These are not cheap rifles, they are just alarge quantity of surplus arms that flooded the market. If you think about it, thes rifles were made in the early part of the last centutry and probably only cost $35 or $40 to make, so it is like a 100% profit. I recommend this rifle for the fun factor alone, get yours today.

·
Registered
295 Posts
fun shooter

rp cavanaugh: Sir; I shoot the 91/30 and it's a hoot. Boooom and dust will fly.
Will have an M44 in the next couple of weeks. Would be sooner but I'll be out of town.
Order sealed tins of ammo. Cheaper; I happen to like the 183grn. Many are shooting the 14?grn.
100yds and any 'bambi' will have a problem getting up.
A heck of lot of information and history about the different variants is available.:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
They are available from most gun dealers. Look for shops that have a large selection of surplus arms. As I have stated these are abundent and I have seen them in crates in stores. Good luck getting yours.

Phil

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anybody here have one? I keep seeing them at big 5 and such. As low as $75, which is hard to pass up. I read that the Red Army used them as sniper rifles.

I guess my question is, would is be something I regret, even for under $100?
My pal bought one at Big 5........I got to ckeck it out.........looked like it was never issued.....no nicks/dings......numbers matched. For the $ you can't beat them........plus what other members have said.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you do get one, make sure you clean it well. Especially the chamber. Some of these have been stored in cosmoline for a long time and the chambers are reallly sticky if you don't. I nearly had to use a hammer to work the bolt before I cleaned the cosmo out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mosins are tough to beat in terms of enjoyment per $ spent. I have a 91/30 Tula and probably will pick-up an M-44 thorugh AIM or SOG later this year.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have 3 91's, 2 44's and a mod 38. I think they are fun to collect and shoot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can pick them up everywhere, for real cheap. I bought my 91/30 Izzy and my M44 Izzy from Big 5 - I think I paid 93.00 each with tax. I looked through all of them at the store and picked the best ones, they shoot GREAT for being from '43 & '44! I also picked up a 1934 Tula Hex reciever with a laminate stock off gunbroker, with a fantastic barrel (for 75 f***in dollars! yeea! :D) I converted the '43 91/30 to the PU sniper, which is a LOT easier than people make it sound. They send you the bits, pins and taps, and the reciever metal is like cheese with a good drill press. The sniper mount practically snaps into place before you drill - I highly recommend the conversion. 90 dollar rifle - 300 dollars worth of scope and mount - can sell it for 450.00. Not that I would though;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 91/30 is my favorite milsurp bolt action to shoot. I have read that it is most accurate with the bayonet mounted. On one site someone had a picture of a chinese marksmanship team practicing with the 91/30 with bayonets mounted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 91 and it is a great gun as long as you get rid of the cosmolite coating on them. Also, field strip the gun before you buy it and check for rust. I have shot around 500 rds through mine and it never misfires and has a really loud and distinctive report. I put a 2-7x32 scope on it after purchasing a weaver mount and it is really easy to site in as long as you have it resting on the ground because it has a heavy recoil and the more weight you can put behind it the more accurate it is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts