Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good are Mosin Nagants? are they accurate and reliable? they're cheap as hell and i wanted to know how good they are.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i posted a thread on these bad boys awhile back-- there seem to be quite a few people who love them and collect them (and collect lots of them, cheap as they are). i've heard them compared in the same category as a 30-06 as far as a game hunting rifle goes. apparently, they need some serious tlc when you first get them but done right and taken care of, they sound like a great long range rifle. hope others chime in here (my info is all just what i've been told by folks here and friends of mine). i'm intrigued by them, too!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have 3 of them they are accurate & reliable. You can't go wrong for the price they go for.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Not to bad a little stiff to lift bolt on the 44 but the 91s aren't bad. The saftey is different you have to pull knob on back of bolt an turn to put on safe.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I've had 3 of them. Two of the hex recievers and one round. I bought one at Cabelas when they had them for 99.00. The two hexes I bought from J&G Sales. If possible get one made in the pre WW II period as the machining is better. I highly recommend a hex reciever model as they stopped making them in 1936. Fun to shoot too!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've had 3 of them. Two of the hex recievers and one round. I bought one at Cabelas when they had them for 99.00. The two hexes I bought from J&G Sales. If possible get one made in the pre WW II period as the machining is better. I highly recommend a hex reciever model as they stopped making them in 1936. Fun to shoot too!
+1 on the hex receiver its the smoothest one of mine.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
this is what i love so much about this forum (besides the fact that we're all enthusiasts here about shooting in general). question asked.. thoughtful responses ensue, along with helpful tips. didn't know previously about the hex recievers vs the round. again, more good info from this group. this thread is renewing my interest in picking one up!

·
Banned
89 Posts
Some off the worlds most famous snipers used this gun; Simo Hayha(the white death), Ivan Sidorenko, Lyudmila Pavlinchenkov a woman. They are abundant right now you can get military reconditioned matching serial# octagon reciever for 130 in a gun store. That means they are service ready. The round reciever is 120 so it makes no sense to get the lesser of the 2. That being said I have always hated their stock and would prefer an argentine Mauser modelo 1909 but they are if even found over 500$. If you want a good old war rifle still trustworthy the 91/30 is one you won't regret, and smooth action.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
They may or may not be "service ready".
I've seen loose actions due to deteriorated wood and large rusted divots in barrel steel under the woodline where it's not visible till you remove the action from the stock.
Also warped fore-ends & off-kilter fore-end & handguard caps.

Inspect carefully before you buy.
Sights will also most likely need adjustment, they were regulated to shoot to point of aim with bayonet mounted & shooting without it affects point of impact.
Denis

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Is the Action Smoothe?
Generally? No.
The earlier models were a bit better than anything made after 1940.
Finn capture and Finn models are far better and smooterhthan anything the Russians made.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have been waiting for a pretty long time for a shop by me to get a new case in so I can go through them.

I look at it like this they are what they are a cool old 100+ dollar war rifle that will do the job. Not the best but for the price you can't beat them.

The white death used a non-scoped variation of the Mosin (m28 or m28/30) and said he preferred and used it over a scoped Swedish Mauser that had been given to him.
Simo Häyhä - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
414 Posts
How good are Mosin Nagants? are they accurate and reliable? they're cheap as hell and i wanted to know how good they are.

Thanks in advance
How good are they? That depends on your definition of good. Few have the nice fit and finish and bluing jobs we have come to expect in guns these days. Most have see hard use and neglect in their long historical life.

Are they accurate? That would depend on the condition of the barrel. Some have had the crap shot out of them over the years. Many were rode hard and put away wet. Most have had a steady diet of corrosive ammo. These usually adds up to a barrel in mediocre condition and mediocre accruacy. If the barrel is in good shape or if its is rebarreled, they are quiet capable of producing some good groups down range and at a considerable distance! The barrel aint the only aspect of accuracy though. The bedding of the action in the stock and the quality of ammo used can make a profound difference as well.

Are they reliable? Are you kidding? These guns are built like a brick crap house! They were designed to operate in temperature extremes that would be challenging for many other designs. They were built to be used by conscripts and take the abuse they often dish out to guns due to a lack of training or just plain old neglect. Simple and Rugged are two adjectives that always have to be used when describing a Mosin. A Mosin will be still running after many other guns have given up the ghost.

Cheap as hell? Yes they are. Most have been used hard and put away wet. Thats why they are so cheap. The other reason is that a gazillion of them were made. Many can be cleaned up and spiffyed up. Some are in good enough shape that with some gunsmithing they can actually be superb shooters and look rather nice doing so. Finding a good one that will require minimal work to reach that level will be hard to do. These guns have been on the market for a while. A lot of the surplus has diminished considerably. They used to be as cheap as 39.00 with ones in nice shape going for about 59.00. Those days are long gone! There are still a few good ones out there to be had though. Even a ho-hum condition Mosin is a decent shooter. Makes a great truck gun. Just dont expect to win a 1000 yard match anytime soon unless you put way more into it than its worth from a cost perspective point than most are willing to spend. Its very comparable in ballistics to the 30-06 and few will challenge the 30-06's ability to take a deer, elk, black bear or moose at reasonable ranges. There is still a good bit of those tuna cans of ammo out there real cheap. A number of European ammo makers are offering some pretty good modern loads suitable for hunting as well at pretty reasonable prices too.

While your BSing, I think the next time I walk into Cabelas and they have those arsenal refinished sporterized Mosin's for a song and dance, I just might pick one up even though they seem to be priced about as cheap as some of the entry level bolt actions with tons of plastic parts are new...and I need another gun about like I need a bullet in the head! If your truely on a budget and like to shoot often and a lot, then a Mosin just might be the ticket for you.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Vasily Zaytsev used one for his first 34 kills. After that he was awarded a snipers rifle but I haven't been able to figure out what it was. He's credited as being the all-time sniper champ with over 400 kills.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Mosin-Nagant, especially for the price. They were the M1 Garand of the Soviet army during WWII.

Hickok 45's got at least one video on one.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've got a Polish Nagant carbine in brand spanking new condition with the receiver dated 1953. It still fires the full house 7.62x54R and it has the folding bayonet. I got this carbine from a friend of mine that got a crate of them out of Poland weeks after their independence from the Soviet Union in the 80s. The rifles were still packed in the cosmoline and oil paper from when the were manufactured in 1953 and sealed in the box. I only ran 10 rounds through mine as it kicks like a mule, but it's accurate if you can stand the recoil.

·
Registered
417 Posts
He's credited as being the all-time sniper champ with over 400 kills.
Wrong.

That title goes to Simo Häyhä (The White Death) with 505 confirmed (542+ with unconfirmed added) sniper kills in less then 100 days at a time of year that they only had about 5 to 6 hours of light a day. He was also said to have killed 200+ with a K31 SMG in the same 100 day time frame for a total of over 700.

Take a look at the link I put in my last post.

Vasily Zaytsev used one for his first 34 kills. After that he was awarded a snipers rifle but I haven't been able to figure out what it was.
I believe It was also a Mosin Nagant just in sniper form instead of standard issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zajcev_rifle.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vasily.Zaitsev.jpg

Lyudmila Pavlichenko The best Female sniper was also said to have used a Mosin 91/30.

http://www.vincelewis.net/sniper.html

A lot of good snipers have used Mosin Nagants.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The rifles were still packed in the cosmoline and oil paper from when the were manufactured in 1953 and sealed in the box.
Are you sure it was NEW? Just because it was in a sealed crate covered in cosmoline does not mean it is new by any means. That is how they packed them up after they where done using the rifiles to preserve them.

To this day they come in sealed crates with 10 rifles packed in cosmoline and they are far from new.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nagants are the best bang for your buck, heck everytime i go to the gun show here in Pasadena, Tx i'll pick one up for exactly $119 out the door price, i have quite a collection of them. cheap to shoot, very accurate, i cant believe its so cheap, with the exception of the obvious "Sticky bolt" problem. Thats my Third favorite bolt gun right after my #1 Sniper version K98mauser and the second Carcano 6.5mm.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts