Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're back. Our favorite summer pest. We have a lot of trouble with them, lots of woods and stuff around here. Don't know where they find the standing water for their eggs, I can't say I have really found where that could be. But we have plenty of mosquitoes as the summer arrives.

I have some defender mosquito traps out, my neighbors rave about them so I thought I would try them. But you aren't supposed to have them close to your house. So what can I do? I have a great deck with a patio area underneath, sheltered by two mature maple trees. It's a great outdoor area, at least until the biters show up.

I'm wondering if there is something I can spray into the trees that would keep the mosquitoes from setting up shop there. I would want something that I could attach to a garden hose so that I could spray up pretty high. I would also want something that wouldn't harm birds. Something that I could apply regularly, like weekly or something, to keep them away.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I used to work for a tree company years ago and we mosquito sprayed with Malathion.
Sorry for the post wheelyguy. Did a little research and malathion has been banned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They're back. Our favorite summer pest. We have a lot of trouble with them, lots of woods and stuff around here. Don't know where they find the standing water for their eggs, I can't say I have really found where that could be. But we have plenty of mosquitoes as the summer arrives.

I have some defender mosquito traps out, my neighbors rave about them so I thought I would try them. But you aren't supposed to have them close to your house. So what can I do? I have a great deck with a patio area underneath, sheltered by two mature maple trees. It's a great outdoor area, at least until the biters show up.

I'm wondering if there is something I can spray into the trees that would keep the mosquitoes from setting up shop there. I would want something that I could attach to a garden hose so that I could spray up pretty high. I would also want something that wouldn't harm birds. Something that I could apply regularly, like weekly or something, to keep them away.

Any suggestions?
Www.dynatrap.com

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Www.dynatrap.com

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
2 questions;

1) do you sell these or work for this company?
2) if the answer to #1 is "no", then how do you know that it would work? First hand experience?

·
Super Moderator
21,186 Posts
Do a search for mosquito foggers. It is a temporary fix but at least you can sit outside.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2 questions;

1) do you sell these or work for this company?
2) if the answer to #1 is "no", then how do you know that it would work? First hand experience?
I have one of these and it catches a lot of mosquitoes and other flying bugs but it doesn’t catch them all as I still get bit. I took this pic a few weeks after I set it up last year.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Citronella candles - large ones - many of them.. I used to have some that came in small bucket shaped containers and there was enough wax that they would burn for a lot of outside evenings. Just keep them close to where you are sitting.

Some of us attract mosquitos "from miles around" whereas others don't seem to be bothered hardly at all.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you can find a citronella plant, it will ward off mosquitos very well. We used to drag one out to our duck blind for the early season, and it worked great. Also, thermacell works pretty darn good too.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have one of these and it catches a lot of mosquitoes and other flying bugs but it doesn’t catch them all as I still get bit. I took this pic a few weeks after I set it up last year. View attachment 144229
I have one of these and it catches a lot of mosquitoes and other flying bugs but it doesn’t catch them all as I still get bit. I took this pic a few weeks after I set it up last year. View attachment 144229
Wow if I took that cup of dead bugs and fed them to my Guinea Hens and chickens, they'd go nuts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow if I took that cup of dead bugs and fed them to my Guinea Hens and chickens, they'd go nuts.
If you can find a citronella plant, it will ward off mosquitos very well. We used to drag one out to our duck blind for the early season, and it worked great. Also, thermacell works pretty darn good too.
I had a citronella plant and it did absolutely nothing to these Texas mosquitoes. I did some reading and turns out it doesn’t bother them at all.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I too have a dynatrap bug catcher. There were two sizes offered on one of my wife's shopping channels that she will watch. We got the one acre size and mounted on light like about 50 feet from house. Above ground pool is ten feet from dynatrap and it works well for us in New Jersey.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,715 Posts
Don’t go killing all the beneficial insects with some giant sprayer. You will end up getting some of it in you, too, and those toxins build up in our bodies over time.

Skeeters breed in standing water.

We treat our rain barrels with mosquito dunks, save for those that get water to animals. They get a good screen top. Build some bat houses. One bat will eat 500 mosquitoes every hour.

Check for standing water and address that, then get out the citronella candles. Eat garlic. It really does help. I only get a few bites a year. Get more tick than skeeter bites.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,810 Posts
No mosquito expert here but in my experience living in Florida for 27 years the areas with routine spraying had few mosquitos. In areas where spraying was not allowed (Everglades National Park for example) the mosquitos were incredibly thick. So spraying works but there may be environmental health impacts. The thermacell product does a very good job but you have to wear it and keep it activated. We used them a lot hunting in FL WMAs where spraying was not allowed and they kept the mosquitos in check.

The best answer may be bats. We have lots of bats here and rarely see a mosquito. Granted we also don't have a lot of standing water either. But I would try to get a bat colony established nearby. The bats here come out at dusk and are eating something as they dart around. And we don't have a flying insect problem. Coincidence? Perhaps. But I like the bat idea.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have tried the bat option, put up a couple of houses. Never had any luck attracting them.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don’t go killing all the beneficial insects with some giant sprayer. You will end up getting some of it in you, too, and those toxins build up in our bodies over time.

We treat our rain barrels with mosquito dunks, save for those that get water to animals. They get a good screen top. Build some bat houses. One bat will eat 500 mosquitoes every hour.

Check for standing water and address that, then get out the citronella candles. Eat garlic. It really does help. I only get a few bites a year. Get more tick than skeeter bites.
Our rain barrels are covered with screen, so those don't offer a breeding ground. The only standing water that I can readily find is in my bird bath and an outdoor pet watering bucket. But both of those get refreshed regularly so no skeeters there.

I see some "all natural" spray that has lemongrass oil that is supposed to not kill bees and other beneficial insects. I wonder if that might work.

I might try one of those thermacell gadgets, that would help on the deck. I have also had someone tell me he got good results with those smoking coil repellent things.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts