Ruger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,715 Posts
I might try one of those thermacell gadgets, that would help on the deck. I have also had someone tell me he got good results with those smoking coil repellent things.
Let us know. I love gadgets that zap stuff. Put dunks in our barrels today. 3 do not seem to manage well with the screens, and the blood-suckers are thick in there. We store over 2000 gallons for our market-garden/CSA sideline.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Our mosquitoes here (central Maine) have yet to really get going. (We had a late spring with snow and freezing temps in early May.) Since over 10% of the land area in this state is water -- lakes, rivers/streams, swamps and marshes -- we have a LOT of mosquitoes. The black flies are honestly much worse. Most in the US have never experienced them. They really don't stand out south of VT, NH and Maine. If a mosquito is a helicopter (most are slow, some more like black hawks), a black fly is like an F-16 that can maneuver like a helicopter; lightning fast. Their swarms can be intense: think 10's of thousands. They're fast and they're smart; they land then walk fast to find bare skin. For me, and most, I think, they're bites are way worse than mosquitoes. Fortunately, their peak season is measured in weeks instead of months.

But back to mosquitoes. I think one of the best suggestions for the OP's deck that I've read in this thread is the idea of a fan or fans. You'll find that most mosquitoes -- and there are many species with different behavior -- ground with wind. (So do black flies, which is why I love windy days in the woods.) So aerating your deck could be useful on quiet days.

My other two suggestions won't be popular here in the US :rolleyes:, but they work, as proven in tropical countries. Both involve nets. Commonly called mosquito nets, but they'll keep other fliers away also.

I don't have a deck, but in my woods camp out back -- my relaxation space -- I drape a mosquito net around the area I want to use, mainly over my hammock, but sometimes around my camp chair. One can purchase mosquito netting by the yard online inexpensively. A little stitching by a seamstress, and a little creativity on your point, you could create an enclosure around your deck. Open it up on windy days, close it up on still days.

Second, and this will be even more unpopular, consider a torso net for those days when you want to be out there but nothing keeps the 'squiters away without slathering on repellent (which I hate). They're cheap and totally effective. I use this one; it comes in sizes. I couldn't live in Maine without mine, especially during black fly season. It becomes a standard item in my pack all summer. But I even use mine in the woods during the dog days when wind is light to keep the mosquitoes off of me. Eating and drinking? It has a zippered port to get to your mouth.

Ideal? No, but neither are the mosquitoes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've used Bug-B-Gone, and it seems to work pretty good. The active ingredient used to be permethrin, but it's been changed to something else. It attaches to a water hose, and it can spray pretty far up into the trees.

For clothing, use Sawyer permethrin-based repellent. Hang your outer clothing outside and spray it somewhat generously, paying close attention to openings like waistbands, cuffs, etc., then let it dry for a couple of hours. The permethrin binds to the fibers of the clothing and lasts for about 5 weeks before you have to retreat. It also repels ticks, chiggers, and other biting insects. Use deet-based repellent for your exposed skin.

Eucalyptus, lavender, citronella are all supposed to work, but I'm skeptical. I'm one of those people that mosquitoes will fly through hell and back just to get a taste of my blood. One evening outside, havng beverages with some friends, I had a citronella candle pinched between my heels. I felt something pinching my lower leg. When I looked down, there was a mosquito, in the full stream of citronella smoke, happily sucking on my leg!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fans.

Best cheap trap i've found is rotting grass clippings inside a lawn and leaf bag left in the sun. Takes a few days to really get going and does stink. Leave the top loosely closed then spray with insecticide at and as dusk approaches. The offgassing of methane / co2 / whatever seems to really attract the types in the mid atlantic.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Believe it or not, we have those things down here too, but maybe even worse, we also get love bugs. I haven't heard of another insect that wants to eat them but our vehicles seem to have a attraction for them.
When I was in Northern Maine we had all sorts of flying things that would bite you, different type of flies, gnats, and mosquitoes. At least the moose didn'tbite, at least not that I heard of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one of these and it catches a lot of mosquitoes and other flying bugs but it doesn’t catch them all as I still get bit. I took this pic a few weeks after I set it up last year. View attachment 144229
I owned 2 of these and thought they worked great but I could never keep them running....they would last a year or so and then quit so I got frustrated and ditched them

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I was in Northern Maine we had all sorts of flying things that would bite you, different type of flies, gnats, and mosquitoes. At least the moose didn't bite, at least not that I heard of.
It's true: moose don't bite. They just trample you or attempt to gore you with the antlers. More injuries occur in N America from moose aggression than bears and wolves combined. Reportedly, worldwide, they're second only to hippopotamus. The biggest problem is in mating season.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I owned 2 of these and thought they worked great but I could never keep them running....they would last a year or so and then quit so I got frustrated and ditched them
I’m going on second season with this one. It came with 2 extra bulbs and then I got an email for another free bulb. I heard that some people had problems with bulbs but it still had the first one in it. It’s been setup less than a month and already had to empty the basket because it filled up with mostly june bugs and they were stopping the fan.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts