Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Cabelas has a Mossberg 500 Classic 12 ga pump on sale for $299.99. It has a vented 28" barrel, walnut stock with recoil paid. Would this be a good buy for my first shotgun?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My first pump shot gun was a Mossberg 500 with 28in barrel don't know what going price is now days.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have the Remington 870 on sale for $349.00. It has the 3 1/2" chamber vs the 3" of the Mossberg. Other than the Remington is wood laminated, not much of a difference. I think I'll have to go look at the Mossberg tomorrow.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would go with the Mossberg - i got a 500 combo an its a solid shotgun

·
Registered
583 Posts
that is fair price IMHO if you want the fancy shmancy walnut. But for same $299 you can get a two barrel combo with simpler black furniture, on sale from $399, $279 with stupid friggin' $20 rebate (I hate rebates, especially mailin, but also hate in store rebates like this one when they want a bunch of info, just give me the darn price).

Big5 has the combo on sale fairly often, I got mine for $259 with no silly rebate couple years ago. Same 28" field barrel as you are looking at, plus 18.5 security barrel. I like my combo, keep the short barrel on for HD and for multigun matches, use the long barrel for trap and skeet. Absolutely no issues, goes boom every time. Only two possible downsides to consider with this combo:
-the mag is short to allow for 18.5 barrel, 5 rounds - fine for trap, skeet or hunting (some areas need plug for less then 5). Only time I dislike 5 rounds is at multigun - ah well, I need the practice for reloading under the clock :)
-this 28" cannot be choked (at least not easily) - not an issue for me as I like wide open for lots of challenge, but you need to decide what you want on that subject.

Here is link to sale until Sat 15th (and did I mention the silly rebate?)
Big 5 Sporting Goods - Weekly Ad Specials - MOSSBERG ‘500 SILVER’ 12-GAUGE PUMP SHOTGUN COMBO

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't have a Big 5 around here. I just got it today with a soft carry case. I'll be trying it out this Saturday. Up close the wood looks real nice. It's a special edition for Cabela's 50th anniversary.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I when out to and patterned shot it yesterday, decided to keep the Modified Cylinder on it for know. Took out the plug, but will keep it. I used some Winchester AA target loads and the gun handled well. The only problem I have are the gold bead sights. I do have a little problem seeing them in the bright light. I may want to add a rail and add something for sighting, a ghost ring or red dot. But the gun functions perfectly.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I when out to and patterned shot it yesterday, decided to keep the Modified Cylinder on it for know. Took out the plug, but will keep it. I used some Winchester AA target loads and the gun handled well. The only problem I have are the gold bead sights. I do have a little problem seeing them in the bright light. I may want to add a rail and add something for sighting, a ghost ring or red dot. But the gun functions perfectly.
Congrats on the new shotgun! I have had a model 500 for over 30 years without a problem. I have the combo pack with the 28" & 18.5" barrels & pistol grip for home defense.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have 2 Mossberg's and they are tough and reliable. They are every bit the equal to a Remington 870. $299 is a reasonable price, enjoy your new shotgun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mossberg 500 is a fantastic shotgun for the money. Is the 870 better? Well, that depends. It's a little slicker, smoother in it's action, but I highly doubt a new shooter would ever know the difference. The 500 is full of value and longevity.............more of both than any new shooter could ever use. I used to shoot trap with a Wingmaster 870 and absolutely loved it. Fantastic firearm. Have a Mossie 500 now and couldn't be happier. Just depends on what you are expecting from a home protection weapon. Believe me, 00buck comes out of my Mossie at 1600 ft/second...............just as it does out of the 870 and the recipient of that charge isn't going to quibble about which firearm fired it! :D

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Go grab it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on such a nice looking shotgun. I have its ugly cousin (590A1) and love it. The things I love about Mossberg are the same things I love about Ruger: value for the money spent and made in the United States.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts