Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe not much of a range report per se, but I just have to say I'm really happy with my "Mossberg International" Model 702 Plinkster.

I had been looking at these for around $120 at Walmart, but recently my local store had a tag that said, "New, lower price: $99." :) I couldn't resist anymore. Picked up one and it had two magazines in the box. (I don't know if that was an error, or they come with two.) Then I picked up a third mag online. I have to say, as much as I like the 10/22, I'm not sure why every gun owner doesn't have one of these for only a hundred bucks. I cleaned and Froglubed it, and the first ~350 rounds were all flawless and very accurate with both Mini Mag high velocity and CCI standard vel.

The fiber optic sights are big and bright and appear rugged. The front sight has a nice protective hood. The trigger is a bit mushy but light, and breaks consistently. The styling is a nice, basic black plastic, not the weird Tacticool looking stuff. The stock is nice and slim in the grip and at the Schnabel-shaped fore end. The barrel crown is recessed back to avoid damage, which is nice for a cheapo pickup gun.

I'm not one to promote abusing a gun - in fact I'm fanatical about caring for mine - but, wow... For $99 this is just the thing to toss behind the back seat of your pickup and not worry one bit about scratches and scuffs.

Attachments

Registered
Good price for any plinker. Have fun with it.

Registered
I picked one up a couple years ago at Walmart for $107.

Very light. Stock made of light plastic. Gun made in Brazil for Mossberg.

I had all sorts of problems. I would get feeding jams, the after running many different brands of ammo it started to do it less, about once per mag. The bolt would also lock back after every shot. After a few hundred rounds and filing the edge of the bolt handle that would catch on the inside of the receiver to lock back, I managed to get it so it would only lock back about once every two mags or so.

I ended up selling it and bought another 10/22...lol

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, Gooffeyguy, guess I got lucky or they've worked out the kinks in the last couple years.

There are always a lot of users here who complain about jams, but then we find out they didn't clean / de-grease and lightly lube their new gun when they brought it home. Your problems don't sound like that at all. They sound more like a genuine lemon. Did you ever contact them and ask for a repair or replacement?

Registered
Yeah, they said I could ship it to them on my dime and they would look at it, fix, and send back or replace, but I decided just to trade it in towards another rifle at the local gun shop. The shipping costs and time for the repairs wasn't worth it on a $100 gun for me.

I've read a lot of good things about them though, even over on the mossberg forums. Wish it would've worked out for me, but I've been very happy with my 10/22's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts