Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in other thread, I am looking for the most accurate 357 round for the Gp 100 Are these revolvers best suited for a 158g bullet?
Or should I be looking for a 125g bullet? Just curious. i would like to become most proficient with this 4" revolver ( most accurate). Is there a "designed" round/cartridge that is inherent in the desgin/performance of this gun?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There is no "most" accurate round.
You'll need to try several in your own gun to see what works best in it.
They all have their own personality.
Denis

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I've got four GPs & I've worked with a fifth.
None showed any clear preference for bullet weight.
One particular load might work great in three, still good but less fine in the others, and so on.
Denis

·
Registered
754 Posts
I carry mine loaded with the middle weight Hornady 140 Gr. XTP's #90552 because they have proven to be very consistant performers in my 6" GP, both in accuracy & expansion. But, . . . . . . . to be honest with you, I really have not found any factory loads that have disappointed me in my GP. Some loads may shoot to a different P.O.A. but all are consistantly uniform groups. I've never had the opportunity to "machine Rest" my GP, so I figure I'll never know which load is actually the "Most" accurate, largely due to my personal inability to shoot with the degree of accuracy my GP is capable of.

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
I like the Fiocchi 142 gr. Spiral Point, but it depends on what kind of accuracy you are demanding from the gun......to me accuracy is if I can keep my rounds in the boiler room of a B-27 silhouette at 25 yards in DA with a 2-hand hold, or turn an X-ring into a ragged hole at 25 from a solid sand bag rest shooting SA. I don't shoot a whole lot of .357's though, so it's not like I have tried everything.

I know Armscor is not the most accurate out of any gun.......

What I call accurate ammo might not meet the needs of someone trying to shoot dime sized groups.......

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mission is to become "proficient" (read accurate) in the firing of my handgun.
As a recent comment at the range was stated: "I'd love to consistently hit the button on the shirt, but, as long as I'm hitting the shirt, that's good enough".
I want to practice with a simialr weight and velocity of what will be in the gun for SD.
I find most factory ammo is 125 g and high velocity. I also think that a heavier bullet may be more deisgned for this particluar revolver with a slightly lower velocity. Confused a littel

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also have fired the fiocchi 142 grain conical with good accuracy. It also burns very clean and the price is right. Almost any .357 load seems to shoot more accurately than .38's, especially very slow moving bullets.:)

·
Super Moderator
21,216 Posts
I tend to favor 158 gr bullets as that's what the voices tell me to shoot. Seriously whatever gives you good accuracy and is fun for you to shoot, then go for it. Half the fun is just getting there so shoot a lot and enjoy it as the GP can take it. If you are looking for accuracy then support yor wrist with bags and that should help you decide which is most consistent.

·
Registered
331 Posts
>>I tend to favor 158 gr bullets as that's what the voices tell me to shoot<<

Ditto that........

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Unless you break out the tape measure and shoot from a Ransom Rest, you're probably not gonna see much difference among quality ammo makers. If I see a reasonably tight cluster on the taget then it makes me happy. Most decent ammo out of most of my guns can produce more accuracy than I am capable of hitting with anyway:)

I mean American Eagle may shoot a little better in some of my .357's than others, but only two kinds of ammo has stood out as "inaccurate" and that is A-Merc and a bad lot of Armscor .357 158 gr. I have since shot 1,000's of Armscor .38 Special 158 gr. ball and it is good range ammo.

206 Posts
I carry mine loaded with the middle weight Hornady 140 Gr. XTP's #90552 because they have proven to be very consistant performers in my 6" GP, both in accuracy & expansion. But, . . . . . . . to be honest with you, I really have not found any factory loads that have disappointed me in my GP. Some loads may shoot to a different P.O.A. but all are consistantly uniform groups. I've never had the opportunity to "machine Rest" my GP, so I figure I'll never know which load is actually the "Most" accurate, largely due to my personal inability to shoot with the degree of accuracy my GP is capable of.

Very well put.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I've found that .38 Special Wadcutters are particularly accurate in my GP100. This is compared to the usual FMJ round nose I typically use for target shooting (either .38 Spl or .357 Mag). :D

I also find that the 148-158 grain .357 bullets seem to be a bit more accurate than the 125 grain; I also like them because they are "middle of the road" bullet weights in .357 so it seems like the revolver would be "optimized" for these, but that's just a guess. :eek:

I've also found that Buffalo Bore's 180 LFN shoot accurately but due to recoil and cost, I don't usually take them to the range.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want to really draw out the accuracy of any gun, reload. If that's not an option, there is no one answer fits all for a particular gun. I could line up 5 different identical GP's and they'd all shoot different with the exact same load. Your revolver is unique and it's going to take practice with different rounds to find out what shoots the best. Luckily, that's the fun part!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Accuracy at 50 yards with a 6" GP 100 357 magnum!

I have been using 158 grain Winchester J.H.P.-Notched bullets over 13.4 grains of 2400 and the same bullet over 7.5 grains of WIN. 231 with a C.C.I. 550 magnum primer. Ruger GP 100 6". They both shoot about a 3" group at 25 yards. I am looking to go out to 50 yards.
Obviously I reload. Is there a better combination to get a better group out at 50 yards or am I pushing it too much?

·
Registered
320 Posts
After years of experimentation, I've found my 4.2" and 6" GP's shoot best with any quality jacketed 140 grain bullet over 9.0 grains of Power pistol with CCI magnum primers. My best friend's Vaquero likes these, too. Of course, this assumes you or a friend reloads. Magtech 158 grain 357's seem to be the best factory ammo. Good luck!

·
Registered
409 Posts
140's is the lowest I have gone but I always use 158gr. bullets or heavier in mine.

I see no point on using light weight bullets at all in 357 magnum and the same goes for shooting 38 Special.

·
Registered
117 Posts
One of my favorite rifles is a Henry All Weather in 357/38. I've read where the Henry's prefer a 158 grain round so I started by getting them by Federal as a JSP. Mainly because WalMart sells them for $24 a box and one of my local gun stores sells them for $21 a box. My goal is to practice and shoot this round well in the GP100s as well as the Henry. Since different manufacturers will shoot to a different POA, I figure I may as well standardize with one particular round. I don't reload but someday I may so I save all the spent cases.

PS - using the same round in both your revolver and your rifle is (IMHO) a very good thing.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My Henry 357 brass Big Boy seems to shoot just about any thing I feed it, 38 special or 357 magnums. In New Jersey we aren't allowed hollow point so for home defense I load GP100 with Federal wadcutters,light recoil for my wife and we also practice with at range. To fire wad cutters in rifle I have to load one at a time when action is open.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts