Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Cant tell from the pictures for sure. Can you break those blackdog mags down for cleaning?

Ive seen the blackdog drum mags in action, but never their 25 rounders.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Tactical Innovations beats bx-25 by a lot...had both...lots of problems with bx-25...now gone...won't get another bx...will get more TI...neither is flawless...the factory rotary is the best w/o exception but we are talking about 25 rounds or more...

I don't know about any other brands...have only directly compared those two...if the bx-25 was close to as good as the TI I would have bought at least three more when they were on sale this summer at midway for $20...

I would rather have one TI for $35 than two bx for free...one that fits right and runs great is better than two that flop around and jamb if you touch them or won't feed rounds that get stuck down in the mag requiring it to be taken apart to get the bullets out of it...and both of those problems are very commonly reported among bx owners it is not just me...

For those that are happy with their bx I am happy for them but they can't say it's the best if they haven't had one with problems or compared one without any problems to the TI directly themselves...

Possibly there are people with problems with the TI as well I don't know...I can only go by my personal experience with both...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've still got a cardboard box full of old banana mags from the late 1980's when I was a teenager and really "into" shooting my .22 rifles (pretty much every day after school and during the weekends). I've got 30- and 50-round Ram-Lines (aka "Jam-Lines"..... guess why), a couple of Eatons, and some Butler Creeks. I recently got a couple of BX-25s and have been trying them out as well. The Jam-Lines are still just as tempermental as ever, they feed only Mini-Mags and again only when held at just the right angle on days that begin with "T". The Eaton and Butler Creeks are usually just fine running Mini-Mags, but will occasionaly bobble with Remingtons or any other brand for that matter. So far the BX-25 have been flawless, but I am a bit annoyed by how loose they fit in the Ruger and how they will flop side to side. Even the Jam-Lines are a snug fit in the magazine well, so I honestly don't know why Ruger made their product without any means to prevent excessive movement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've actually never had any problems with any magazine, any ammo. I have a 30+ year old "Eagle International" with plastic lips, that's the oldest. Neither that old thing, nor any of the newer mags, both metal and plastic lips, have ever failed to feed hollow points, FMJ, RNL, hi-velocity, low-velocity, many many many bricks of ammo.

I do like that old Eagle because an extended mag release is built into the magazine. Little button on the rear pushes up to activate the standard release on the bottom of the trigger housing.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
I've actually never had any problems with any magazine, any ammo. I have a 30+ year old "Eagle International" with plastic lips, that's the oldest. Neither that old thing, nor any of the newer mags, both metal and plastic lips, have ever failed to feed hollow points, FMJ, RNL, hi-velocity, low-velocity, many many many bricks of ammo.

I do like that old Eagle because an extended mag release is built into the magazine. Little button on the rear pushes up to activate the standard release on the bottom of the trigger housing.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
I have a few Eagle 30-rounders that are "okay". Not a lot of problems but just enought to make them annoying.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,519 Posts
Just some FYI about 10/22 magazines .... First off, a 10/22 is a straight blow back action. This means a lot of powder residue is blown back into the action and the magazine with each round fired. The dirtier the ammo, the more residue will build up. The factory 10 round rotary magazines are very forgiving and will operate quite well, even when corrupted with caked on powder residue. All high capacity 10/22 magazines (including Ruger BX 25s) are "in-line" not rotary and are very sensitive to powder residue. Here's why: Hi-caps have a ribbon spring that doesn't apply much tension to the magazine follower, thus it doesn't push the cartridges to the top with as much tension as a rotary mag. All it takes is a little powder residue buildup inside the magazine to stall the magazine follower. When the follower drags on the body, cartridges won't get pushed up and will jam.

What ever brand you buy, make sure the magazine can be taken apart easily for cleaning. BX-25s come apart very easily with just 2 Allen head screws. Tactical Innovations TI-25s not only come apart easily for cleaning, they also have adjustment screws so the magazine can be adjusted to fit a specific 10/22 receiver perfectly. This is both a "plus" and a "minus" .... a major advantage if you own just one 10/22. A big negative if you try to use a TI-25 in more than one gun. Personally, I have tossed out all my hi-caps except one BX-25 that I keep with my 10/22 TD and gone with dedicated TI-25s for my other three 10/22s. The TI-25s work exceptionally well but still require periodic cleaning. IMO, the BX-25 and the TI-25 are the only 10/22 hi-cap magazines worth buying and I much prefer the TI-25. Tactical Innovations makes TI-25s with an aluminum body or a polymer body. The polymer body TI-25s are cheaper and are virtually immune to bending or getting damaged from being dropped. I have one aluminum body TI-25 that has been repaired a few times. Next time it gets bent, it will end up in the trash can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just some FYI about 10/22 magazines .... First off, a 10/22 is a straight blow back action. This means a lot of powder residue is blown back into the action and the magazine with each round fired. The dirtier the ammo, the more residue will build up. The factory 10 round rotary magazines are very forgiving and will operate quite well, even when corrupted with caked on powder residue. All high capacity 10/22 magazines (including Ruger BX 25s) are "in-line" not rotary and are very sensitive to powder residue. Here's why: Hi-caps have a ribbon spring that doesn't apply much tension to the magazine follower, thus it doesn't push the cartridges to the top with as much tension as a rotary mag. All it takes is a little powder residue buildup inside the magazine to stall the magazine follower. When the follower drags on the body, cartridges won't get pushed up and will jam.

What ever brand you buy, make sure the magazine can be taken apart easily for cleaning. BX-25s come apart very easily with just 2 Allen head screws. Tactical Innovations TI-25s not only come apart easily for cleaning, they also have adjustment screws so the magazine can be adjusted to fit a specific 10/22 receiver perfectly. This is both a "plus" and a "minus" .... a major advantage if you own just one 10/22. A big negative if you try to use a TI-25 in more than one gun. Personally, I have tossed out all my hi-caps except one BX-25 that I keep with my 10/22 TD and gone with dedicated TI-25s for my other three 10/22s. The TI-25s work exceptionally well but still require periodic cleaning. IMO, the BX-25 and the TI-25 are the only 10/22 hi-cap magazines worth buying and I much prefer the TI-25. Tactical Innovations makes TI-25s with an aluminum body or a polymer body. The polymer body TI-25s are cheaper and are virtually immune to bending or getting damaged from being dropped. I have one aluminum body TI-25 that has been repaired a few times. Next time it gets bent, it will end up in the trash can.
Awesome. Thanks for the replies

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.