Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a first time poster let me express my appreciation for all the useful info here. For a quick introduction, I am in the process of securing CCW certification, for a number of reasons, among which is one I saw posted by a number of responders on a previous "why do you carry?" thread: namely I am getting older and look too victim-ready.

I am not new to firearms or to carrying, as in my youth I spent a decade as a newspaper crime reporter, this in an era when the reporters and cops mingled quite a bit both professionally and socially. I always carried (a 4 inch Colt Python) at the urging of many officers who said, simply, if you are going to be out here on calls and as a ridealong you need to be armed. I think I also have some good perspective on the ethics of carrying, as I was present (a few times quite close) on about a dozen occasions when officers fired their weapons and/or received fire from suspects. I also went to a thousand or so homicide scenes in those years.

Realistically I am well aware that in the unlikely, but not impossible, scenario where I would require my weapon as a defense the mere reach and/or statement that I am armed will deter most baddies; I talked to too many of those thugs back in the day to credit many of them with anything beyond abject cowardice. Still I prefer the stopping power of the .357, which I once saw drop an armed robber during an encounter with an officer who was a good friend.

I am an old geezer always partial to revolvers and have chosen the LCR .357, with a Simply Rugged pancake holster on order.

Again thanks for all the valuable information. I will enjoy following the various threads and comments in the future.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Welcome to the show; We're glad you're here!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Welcome from Delaware. It's always best to use what's most comfortable to you. Enjoy your LCR!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
I think you'll like your choice of weapon and holster. I use the simply rugged pancake and like it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
"... getting older and look too victim-ready".

#1- find a range where you can shoot and rent guns. shot a variety of pistols and revolvers. with today's defense ammo, anything from a .380 on up thru 9mm will work.
many guns in those calibers are softer shooting and easier to get on target than a .357mag. (your 4" Colt weighed 40 oz., the LCR weighs 17 oz. and your older).
#2- take some lessons in defensive shooting, it's different than target shooting or plinking.
#3- when you think your a shooter, go someplace and buy an hour in a simulator. it's a room with up to 300 degrees of screen and the bad guys can come at you just like real. you have a pistol that shoots "laser bullets". in review you see where each shot went. don't worry about the guy at the ATM with the tire iron, it's the guy with the 12ga. that wants to hurt you. hehehehehe.
#4- getting a CCW permit and carrying should bring up your level of situational awareness, hopefully to the point where you never need the gun.
#5- your getting older, make sure that everyday includes having some fun.
good luck. good shooting.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southern California.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Welcome from Indiana. Glad to have you in the family and congrats on the LCR .357. Carry mine all time.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.