Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The summer of cocktails continues! (And it's not even technically summer yet.)

This New York Sour is Mrs. FeralCatKillr's favorite. She loves straight rye, but if she does drink Bourbon she likes anything made by Buffalo Trace, including their nice "Eagle Rare".

Put 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of super-fine sugar in a cocktail shaker, and muddle together to dissolve the sugar. Pour in 2 ounces of good Bourbon, lots of ice, and shake until your hands are frozen and numb.

Strain into an old fashioned glass containing fresh ice cubes. Float ~1 oz of red wine on top -- preferably something more tannic like a Cabernet if you've got it. Or, if you're not good at floating stuff, just stir it in gently.

Repeat until she鈥檚 having the Best Mother鈥檚 Day Ever.

Registered
I know that as a Moon Over Manhattan...or a least a very close relative to it. This is a new favorite I just learned about last year.
I add just a pinch of sugar or dash of simple syrup, otherwise it's too sweet for me.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #4
I know that as a Moon Over Manhattan...or a least a very close relative to it. This is a new favorite I just learned about last year.
I add just a pinch of sugar or dash of simple syrup, otherwise it's too sweet for me.
Yes the sugar is always a balancing act. And fresh lemons are an inexact science too, since they are different from batch to batch, and even from lemon to lemon. Of course you can always adjust it a bit with a drop more lemon juice and (of course) more whiskey if it turns out too sweet.

One trick I learned recently from Amy Stewart鈥檚 OUTSTANDING book 鈥淭he Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World鈥檚 Great Drinks鈥, is that lemon juice and lime juice benefits from being squeezed earlier in the day, several hours if possible, and left in the fridge. I had not known that before.

There are some drinks where I like a 鈥渟imple syrup鈥 but in this one (or in a standard whiskey sour, which is the same thing as this but without the wine floated on top) I prefer the confectioner sugar, which makes for a 鈥渂righter鈥, simpler flavor and mouth feel that lets the quality Bourbon shine through. The simple syrup is more viscous which again is good in some cocktails, but not what I like in a sour.

Registered
And maybe one of these to accompany it.

Registered
Yes the sugar is always a balancing act. And fresh lemons are an inexact science too, since they are different from batch to batch, and even from lemon to lemon. Of course you can always adjust it a bit with a drop more lemon juice and (of course) more whiskey if it turns out too sweet.

One trick I learned recently from Amy Stewart鈥檚 OUTSTANDING book 鈥淭he Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World鈥檚 Great Drinks鈥, is that lemon juice and lime juice benefits from being squeezed earlier in the day, several hours if possible, and left in the fridge. I had not known that before.

There are some drinks where I like a 鈥渟imple syrup鈥 but in this one (or in a standard whiskey sour, which is the same thing as this but without the wine floated on top) I prefer the confectioner sugar, which makes for a 鈥渂righter鈥, simpler flavor and mouth feel that lets the quality Bourbon shine through. The simple syrup is more viscous which again is good in some cocktails, but not what I like in a sour.
Thanks.
Nice tip on the lemon/lime juice. Probably helps to balance out the variation too.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Discussion Starter #8
And maybe one of these to accompany it.
I admit those in particular look good, although I鈥檝e never much cared for or understood the idea of mixing cigar smoke with any drink (or food). I鈥檇 rather enjoy the drink first and then the cigar later, personally.

If I were to have the two together, I think I鈥檇 opt for a high proof, high rye whiskey like Wild Turkey 101, neat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts