Ruger Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Use it that way all you want , causes less friction , less wear. I use it inside and out , my SS guns look brand new and they must opperated 100%. Smooth , clean and lubed is the way to go.

I have a new Redhawk 357 5033... came to me with some minor scratches that need to be removed on the butt where the serial number is... will Mothers remove enough metal to "erase" the scratches or do I need to use a 800 or 1200 sandpaper first?

Mother's Polish is very fine & rated @ 3-4000 grit
It is one of my favorite polishes for stainless brass/bronze etc.
One must be very careful removing material in the wrong places when using it on a firearm
Sear Engagement & Cylinder Stop come to mind but there are many others

I have seen that McCarbo Video were the guy just cakes polish on & Dremels away at the SP101s trigger group
Makes you wonder how many guns manufacturers get back guns with the white paste caked inside with loose cylinders that spit etc.

I have a new Redhawk 357 5033... came to me with some minor scratches that need to be removed on the butt where the serial number is... will Mothers remove enough metal to "erase" the scratches or do I need to use a 800 or 1200 sandpaper first?
Generally, for touch ups on stainless, I use grey scotch brite pads. (Auto store). Try and sweep, in the direction of the original grain. No scrubbing back and forth.

I don't care what Mothers or Flitz says, I've studied metallurgy enough in aerospace to know if it polishes it, IT IS REMOVING material.
Exactly. I always use Japanese waterstones to sharpen my knives and all of my Japanese planes and chisels, I have stones rated to 20,000 grit. Theyre so hard and slick that you'd swear that there is no possible way that these stones could remove metal, but one pass and you can see the metal laying in the water. Obviously Im not going to be repairing an edge or changing a bevel with a 20k stone but they do still remove metal. And just like Flitz or Mothers, that black you see appear instantly is metal that used to be on that gun part you were just polishing. Of course its not a Bastard file but the do remove metal, just a lot less of it.

Having said that, I too ha e really cleaned up several CZs using Flitz and my dremel and it did a heck of a good job but once I used Cratex bits from Brownells I never looked at that giant tube of Flitz again.

I've used Mother's sparingly on the fire control parts of my SP101. I've also used it to polish my 686 and very sparingly/lightly used it to remove some surface flecks in my blued Model 28.

I also bought a 28-2 that had a very cloudy/dulled nickel finish that it polished to a mirror finish.

As with most thing...if used sensibly and in moderation, you generally won't have issues.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.