Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've recently acquired the Ruger PC carbine free float chasis model. It does not come with iron sights installed and does not have a picatinny rail that runs the whole length of the hand guard. There are clear images of it here Ruger Announces the New Pistol Caliber Carbine Chassis Model - The Truth About Guns. It has a rail on the receiver and a short rail at the base of the hard guard. I'm trying to install iron sights on it and I'm wondering how I can go about it. It seems like if I utilized the two rails, the maximum distance I can get between the two sights is around 11 inches. I do have a M-Lok picatinny rail adapter which I can install at the very front of the hand guard. However, it looks like in that case the adapter rail would sit higher than the rail on the receiver. It's not ideal but I know some front sights have elevation adjustment. Would I be able to overcome the plane difference between the two rails using the front sight's elevation adjustment alone? I'm very new to this and would love some insight before I go purchase the iron sights.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I purchased my 19122 chassis model last fall. I mounted a Romeo 5 red dot to it right away, but wanted to have iron sights as a backup. I got an inexpensive set of flip-up sights made by Feyachi and mounted them as far apart as the existing Picatinny rail allowed. This was acceptable for me.

However, then I picked up a Juliet 3 magnifier and needed to move the rear iron sight to allow for the proper eye relief distance with the stock fully extended. I picked up a low-profile Picatinny rail segment made by TuFok and mounted it on the second MLOK slot from the front of the handguard. The front slot didn't provide sufficient clearance between the screws and the barrel.

The front flip-up sight is now mounted on the TuFok rail, and the rear flip-up sight is mounted on the Picatinny segment of the handguard. They are close enough to the same plane that I can correct with the elevation setting on the front sight post.

I got the Feyachi flip-up sights and the TuFok rail on Amazon:

Here's a picture of my PCC with all the stuff mounted on it (optics, iron sights, flashlight, laser, foregrip, compensator):

Hope this helps. Please let us know how your efforts turn out!

·
Emperor
885 Posts
You won't be able to zero most sights if you mount the rear sight on the receiver rail and mount the front sight on a standard Picatinny rail segment on top of the front of the hand guard. The difference in mounting height will be too great.

If you use a low profile M-LOK Picatinny rail segment such as those made by Arisaka Defense you can get a set of sights to work but don't be surprised if you have to shave down the front sight post a bit to allow for a reasonable range of elevation adjustment. And some rear sights will not work on the receiver rail, and example being the very popular polymer Magpul MBUS flip-up sight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the insight! I measured my m-lok rail segment and it's 0.27in tall, which seems to be the same height as all of the adapters i've seen so far on the internet. I ordered the Feyachi iron sights and will hope for the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally received the Feyachi sights and tried them on. I was actually able to adjust the elevation of the front sight to compensate for the plane difference. However there'a an issue with the Feyachi sights where you cannot depress the button to flip the sights down if you adjust the elevation to be lower than the stock height. It seems like the sight post gets in the way of the button or something. I returned them and I'm waiting to try Amazon.com : Chaos Ready | Flip Up Iron Sights - Spring Loaded Low Profile Back up Ironsights | Designed for Picatinny 1913 Pattern Rails | Co-Witness Front and Rear BUIS Combo Set | : Sports & Outdoors.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Emperor
885 Posts
A rail segment with a height above base of .270" is a low profile rail segment. The standard for a 1913 Picatinny rail is a top height of at least .367" above base.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If the PC Carbine were "Standard" that would be great but putting a rear sight on the picatinny on the receiver, that thing needs to be pretty low profile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts