Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems a lot of talk lately about a small reliable gun for pocket or deep cover. Certainly not primary but as back-up or last ditch.

So of current or out of production guns, what would some of you choose as a mouse gun?

Just to roughly apply a defination:
mousegun---small weapon for concealed carry that will fit into a pocket, vest pocket, shirt pocket for deep cover. CALIBER MAX IS .32.

Must be smaller than a 5 shot snub, glock 26, ppk, etc, etc. we have to put some type of absolute limit on the size or it will quickly spin out of the catagory. So keep it small.

My former mousegun was a high standard deringer in .22 mag. Today if i went out to buy one, i think it just might be a beretta 950 minx in .22 short.
Then again, could be tempted with a NAA mini-revolver in .22 mag.
Or a Beretta 21a. Or a ..........see where this is going?

I know some folks will never carry one for lack of stopping power/effectiveness----but we are talking absolute last ditch firearm here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well...I like the Kel Tec P3AT with Corbon DPX carried in a K & D Holster. In fact...I'm wearing it now while taking my wife out to a nice dinner and movie. It is so tiny, I forget I have it in my pocket.

Normally, I carry my 642...but for church, Tux and mucky-muck events, I go deep conceal with the P3AT. Clean it often...change springs out every 1000 rounds or so and she performs just fine. It is one of those carry often, shoot little pistols. It has horrible snappiness to it...I hate firing it beyond a couple of mags, which I do at every range I shoot at.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
looks like it would work if ya had to dress up, dang sure would beat harsh lanuage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to have a P32 which was reliable but the finish didn't agree with getting caught in a rain storm while camping... I traded it towards my XD so I wouldn't backslide.

If I were to get another mousegun it'd either be a P32 or a P3AT.

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec 3AT when it's not practical to carry anything else. It's a .380, but the .32 is the same size. Not sold on the .380 but I guess it's better than a .32, or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Not to pee on the parade in the least, my mindset is this: a mousegun makes a backup-never a primary...I can conceal a J-frame .38 anywhere anytime, and I won't trust my life or those I'm sworn to protect to what I feel is less than enough gun...I'm committed to be uncomfortable and change my style of dress if necessary, to carry enough gun...but a mousegun in a pocket or ankle holster might make all the difference if we are disarmed, our primary fails, or our strong hand is unavailable...to fight to free it to reach our primary...I feel the most important thing about carrying a mousegun for backup is that it must be very quickly accessible, with either hand, for if the situation's that dire...a second would make the difference...so, whichever one you might choose, practice, practice, practice...and now I'm wanting a Stainless TPH .22LR badly....Interarms' founder died and I heard they went out of business...are they being made anymore or do I have to look for a used one...anyone know???????

·
Registered
14 Posts
"I can conceal a J-frame .38 anywhere anytime."

Ah, that's the problem many of us have. We CANT conceal a larger weapon anywhere anytime, due to our necessary mode of dress, and work environment.

For example: I must wear a neatly tucked in white shirt and tie every day. In the summer it's just too hot to wear a jacket. I've tried ankle carry, and can't make it work. So, I'm stuck with pocket carry, which means a p3at. The p11 is just too bulky. On the other hand, in the cooler months I can wear a jacket, and the p11 comes along.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Don't have anything smaller than a ppk that is usable for concealed carry. If I did look to buy one, I would consider one of those 45 colt / .410 derringer type pistols. Two shots better than none and big enough to do some damage up close.
Maybe I should carry this one in 38 S&W?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You can carry a j-frame(mine has oversized Packy grips but factory is still smaller in the front pants pocket of Dockers or a suit-or inside pocket of a suit...in any one of 4 or 5 holsters made for that...some 9s carry as easily-Kahr and Kel-Tec...or a PPK...I've carried in dress slacks and tucked-in shirt behind a note pad in front pocket...it takes some planning to do it but you can if you want to...How's that P11 work and is it bigger than a PPK?...looks like no safety-good for us lefties...have you looked into SmartWear or Thunderwear? Lots of guys carry .45 and .357 K frames--it goes inside the pants with shirt tucked in and that P11 would disappear into it....
Hey Jimbo, my first .38 was like that one...made by Meriden Firearms in Conn.....38 S&W...love those little breaktops...I'm too clumsy to carry a cocking derringer...sure would like to see the High Standards come back and in larger calibers same size....the COP is as close as I've seen and it's blockier than a J frame...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well...I actually do carry my 642 most all the time, however, there are occassions where the P3AT (which is half the weight and size of an air weight) can be worn whereas the 642 cannot. I can even carry the P3AT in my swim trunks...try that with the 642! .380 Corbon DPX is nothing to sneeze at...beau coup people six feet under due to that round.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
No doubt about the .380-that swim trunks carry is what the Thunderwear is about...but the full-sized models may drain an embarrassingly long time;)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My little J Frame 637 airweight conceals very well just under my belt line, riding at 1 O'clock in a belly band. I keep my work t-shirt tucked in, and my belt cell phone holder pretty close to the 3 O'clock. You can see where my keys are.... I have yet to be detected by anyone, and my work shirt is safety yellow, which is thin and transparent a bit... but again, its concealed and no one has detected the slightest buldge.

Here is a pic of my belt line, and right there where my keys are is the but of the S&W 637 airweight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have both the 642 and the P3AT and after much ammo performance study and over 1000 rounds in each, I choose to carry the P3AT every time. It's the ALWAYS can carry. If I feel the need for more gun it will be my Glock 27 or the Ruger Service Six .357, it won't be a .38 special. Not that much difference in performance and 2 fewer rounds. I tried to get my wife to carry the 642 but she wanted her own P3AT so now we have 2.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.