Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually, during the summer the wife and I go to the movies about once a week and once school starts (she's a teacher) maybe once every two or three weeks. This past summer, since the end of June up 'til today I believe we have gone to a total of about 6 movies and a couple of those weren't worth it. Is it just us or have the movies sucked this year?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Mate, I forget the last time I actually went to a movie.
It would be over a year.
Never anything appealling.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Is it just us or have the movies sucked this year?
Not just you, but I think it has been the last couple of decades or longer.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
They are stinkin! However, we just saw Taken 2, it was as good as the first one. The entire audience reacted many times during the movie. Thumbs up! :D

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Last movie I saw was The Avengers and really enjoyed it. Nothing else has raised an eyebrow. Certainly not worth the $11 price.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
We had a couple good movies, but the rest were junk. Dark knight Rises, and Avengers were both entertaining. Not as oscar type films, but good popcorn flicks. I feel like hollywood has run out of ideas. These things seem to go in cycles though. Couple of bad years then a run of good quality films.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
We go about once a month. The wife usually picks the movies so I haven't liked anything in the last 42 years. But letting her pick the movie helps in the "getting lucky" department.:D

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Mrs. Liberal and I will only go to the movies if something really intrigues us ... uh, her. She reads all the reviews and will make a suggestion on a film ... I drive the car to the theater and buy the tickets.

A few days ago we saw The Master with Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams. The film was a real mind bender ... beautifully filmed ... with incredible performances from the three actors. Joaquin Phoenix was absolutely convincing in his role as a deranged WWII veteran ... and Hoffman was brilliant as the Master of a quasi-religious cult. At least 2 Academy nominations here. Warning: Do not take the kids to this one.

The Master - Official Trailer (2012) [HD] - YouTube

Also, the trailer for the new Brad Pitt film ... Killing Them Softly ... really grabbed my attention .... I'm a sucker for mob movies.

Killing Them Softly Trailer 2012 Brad Pitt Movie - Official [HD] - YouTube

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
My son who was a local LEO & is now a Federal Agent, like to see cop movies together & critique them. We saw END OF WATCH & both thought it was great!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I haven't been to a movie theater in probably 25+ years. If anything looks interesting, I'll wait 'til it comes out on video. I don't think much of most of the junk coming out of H'wood lately anyway....Thank goodness for TCM and AMC....

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
I doubt we have been more than 3 times in the last 25 years. We have a TV that directly connects to the internet so we subscribe to Netflix.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I'm in total agreement, and I'll go a step further: Another thing that makes me wait for the DVD release instead of going to the theater is society's near-total loss of manners. Between the thoughtless clods with their infernal cell phones and the other assorted jerks who don't know how to shut up, I just surrendered. Speaking of the cell phones, another problem with them [besides the obvious] is that they glow bright enough to distract your eyes from the screen. All in all, I seem to get a bit closer to total misanthropy every year.....:mad:

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Anyone who's a baseball fan should see Trouble With The Curve.

Hollywood in general has sucked for years. They have ran out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
We stopped going to flicks on any regular basis when it got more expensive (hiring a sitter), plus the movies just didn't seem to be very alluring. I'm old enough to know that the trailers will show the very best of the movie just to get you in. Perhaps its me and I'm getting pickier as I age, but few of them live up to the hype IMO.

Add to that the fact that ticket prices are ridiculous and I can't really remember the last time I went to a cinema.

We have a discount theater in town that shows movies that are about to roll out of prime circulation and go to the DVD market. We sometimes go to that one since the tickets are only about $2 (I think). But then, with work and kids' activities and the general fatigue that goes along with all that I am not really interested in getting out in the evening most of the time.

And Netflix, streamed to the telly via a Roku box, is a good deal. I definately get my $9 worth out of that every month.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Avengers was entertaining but other than that there hasn't been many good movies in the past few years.

Best movie I have seen in the past few years was Courageous. It is probably one of my favorites. I don't get emotional about movies but man I got choked up one minute and then 10 seconds later I was laughing. If there are any dads with daughters it is especially moving. Action, comedy, good story, had it all. It does have Christian theme but it isn't cheesely done. It is mostly about being a good dad.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
The Avengers was the only one that got me to go to the movies this year, though I think the new Bond movie is coming out next month. I might go see that.

But, agreed. This has been a downer year for movies.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The wife and I haven't to a theater in years, preferring to wait until it gets to Netflix. I did go to see The Avengers, but my buddy bought me my ticket.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just remembered the biggest disappointment for me was the new Bourne movie. The whole move he was trying to find his "meds" the whole movie looked like a junky trying to find a fix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts