Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a photo of my mp5 clone and the mods I've completed so far. This is the Atlantic arms 89 which is the full size mp5 so far I've added a m-lock rail, mfi low mount, eotech xps2-0, xs ghost ring rear sight with trijicon front post, and a pistol brace. The next step is to swap the poly lower for a metal one and add a nice ergo grip. I'd like input on my build and opinions on whether or not I should paint it camo for the "operator" look. Or just leave it black. I never plan to sell it but it cost a lot to me at least and I don't want to lower the value by kryloning it up. I did paint my mini 30 and it came out great and I took an 8 point and a doe with it this year. Love my mini 30!! I'll throw a few pics of the mini so u can see the paint job.

Attachments

·
"The Real Deal"
7,543 Posts
Although its totally up to you, from a $ standpoint leaving it not painted would make it keep its value better. The MP series guns are not cheap wether they are original or clones. If for some reason you had to sell it later the paint could hurt you. I say this because when I walk into the gunshop and see a painted gun I shy away from it maybe because I am a purist to some extent and it also makes me wonder what else might have been done to it. In other words if you take a 2k rifle, and spray on some $2.00 paint, if that makes sense, what else did the previous owner skimp on. The only way to undo spray paint on that rifle would be to sandblast it and then dura or cerakote it. If you use thinners to remove the spray paint it will also remove the weapons original paint finish, unlike anodized ar's.

Its perfectly up to the owner though, they own it and can do what ever they please.
Now then if you decide to paint it I would recommend cerakote, its tuff as nails and far more resistant to wear than rattlecan. I plan to do this one day and use the factory hk colors on the mp5 platform. I used to own a mp5/40 sold it like a fool, I also owned a first gen gsg5sd and gsg5pk. They both were sold and now I only on a ptr91k. But I plan to purchase another mp5 probably a pof.

Another good source of info on the hk is DDelambre, he wrenches on the hks more than most.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,543 Posts
Also congrats on the new pistol, the mp5 is a real fun caliber, almost no recoil, and just plain fun. If you have not already seen it, this is where I got all my parts for my hk pattern rifles, they are genuine hk parts, and other top quality parts. I have used them several times and Adam is great to deal with.

HKPARTS.NET - HKPARTS.NET

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I have used hkparts for nearly all my parts they are great to work with. I had the hk22 mp5 first really enjoyed that it was a sweet little plinker just wanted something a little more usable and the faux suppressor got on my nerves so I sold it. I think you are right about the paint of course if I ever did need camo it takes like 10 minutes to apply.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This project however is one I will pass down. It's definitely getting upgraded with genuine HK parts of I see any deficiency in Atlantic arms parts. I've put 100 rds through it had a few mins feeds I think it's in part to being brand new and also to the POFmagazine. I have 5 Korean mags I haven't ran yet hope they pan out ok. It's just hard for me to pay 90bucks per mag for HK mags. If I have to I will though. Looking forward to my next range trip.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I didnt know they made a sig brace for a hk.
If its a pistol having a vertical foregrip on it puts it into NFA laws though, makes it an AOW, so without a tax stamp i would remove it.

Sweet build.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Want a camo look without hurting value by using a $5 rattle can? Simple, have it properly coated. Get a cerakote job done, or hydrographics. Going FDE with it and adding ODG, dark brown, or even factory black accents with a cerakote job will keep the value. You're dropping a lot of coin putting this thing together, why abuse it with a Cracker Jack paint job?

Would you paint your car with Krylon? I know some guys would, but they also are guys who don't drive cars worth driving either.

You'll probably spend more on ammo in a couple outings than a professionally applied Cerakote job will cost, and you're spending a he11 of a lot more on parts. Just do it the right way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes ceracote would be a valid option or having it dipped. Never heard of a forward grip making nfa laws apply. I will reasearch that but it seems a valid warning would be in order from the manufacture. Of which none was given. I did research it and found in fact you are correct. Always out to get us it seems. Grip is now removed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sure is quite a law there. I mean I do not shoot my m9 single handed. Also I can't rotate my left arm because it's made out of titanium rods so I have to us a forward grip. That's ok though. I will just apply for the stamp

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Is your MP5 clone a 9mm? I think your build is really nice I like it a lot! For curiosity sake what's the cost point to where you currently have it? Thanks for sharing pics!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Looks fun. I'd like to run a mag through it!

I have a buddy who rattle-canned his Sopmod M4 clone. He wanted the look and he'll probably never sell the rifle. If some Krylon makes you happy, do it. I'd personally opt for something a bit more durable/professional like Cerakote. Do what makes you happy...

...except that VFG. That's a no-no. You can use an angled (AFG) if you want, but the VFG is an add-on that can get you in big trouble.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,543 Posts
This project however is one I will pass down. It's definitely getting upgraded with genuine HK parts of I see any deficiency in Atlantic arms parts. I've put 100 rds through it had a few mins feeds I think it's in part to being brand new and also to the POFmagazine. I have 5 Korean mags I haven't ran yet hope they pan out ok. It's just hard for me to pay 90bucks per mag for HK mags. If I have to I will though. Looking forward to my next range trip.
Yes upgrading to hk parts is never a bad idea, thats whats good about some clones, the parts interchangability. I have done the same with my hk pattern rifles. I know the mags may be expensive but buy once, pay once. A great rifle is nothing with a sorry magazine. A good practice is to number your mags, then when at the range its easy to distinguish between ones with issues and ones that work. Then later you can rebuild the ones that have issues and retest. If you can't get them to work, chunk them. Thats my practice. The hk mags are quality but expensive. The mp5/40 mags were $75 each back I the day, but always functioned flawless. I also only use the hk steel mags for my ptr91 now, the aluminums are ok, but the steel is better, new or surplus. Also the few kinks you experienced is normal with new guns. The vector I had came with grease in it, and the manual stated to fire atleast 300 rounds before removing, it helped with break in. So don't fret.

I didnt know they made a sig brace for a hk.
If its a pistol having a vertical foregrip on it puts it into NFA laws though, makes it an AOW, so without a tax stamp i would remove it.

Sweet build.
Yeah I think its a atlantic exclusive for the brace. Just remember do not fire it from the shoulder or that also converts it into a sbr with the latest from the atf. Also the forward grip is a no go. You can install a magpul afg since its not considered a vertical grip, however its in the gray area, so be careful. Easiest things is to apply for the stamp, and convert it to an sbr legally, then add stamp in hand put a stock on it, and foregrip of your choice.

That sure is quite a law there. I mean I do not shoot my m9 single handed. Also I can't rotate my left arm because it's made out of titanium rods so I have to us a forward grip. That's ok though. I will just apply for the stamp
Enjoy the rifle, sorry about the injury, and hope you can overcome it to enjoy the hobby of guns etc. Here is my mp5/40 I used to own, and my current 91k.
Vector v5/40 in 40sw.

Ptr91k in 308win

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the plan is to sbr this pistol in the future so I can put a regular stock and foregrip on it. The brace is a new one from sb tactical available at hkparts.net made just for HK pattern weapons. It's not Atlantic exclusive. It's very nice I highly recommend it over other braces

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a nice ptr I almost went that route last year but decided to go mini 30 instead and I'm very happy with that build. Still think about a ptr sometimes though. I am a big HK fan.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,543 Posts
That is a nice ptr I almost went that route last year but decided to go mini 30 instead and I'm very happy with that build. Still think about a ptr sometimes though. I am a big HK fan.
Yeah I figured that was an atlantic arms brace since I had never seen seen them elsewhere, didn't know hk had them. Thats logical. Yes I own the mini 30, ak's and many other military derived firearms. The 91 is a great rifle, highly accurate, and reliable. I like the power of the 308 win and added range over the 7.62x39. I would recommend the ptr. Its a very close clone of the original.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tacky thanks for the words. I got hung in a saddle years ago breaking a horse. The injury is a funny one since my left arm is solid and won't rotate I am a laser beam with a pistol. 👍🏻😉. Only time it bugs me is when I'm gunning in a tank and traversing left and running switches with my right. Still have high score in my company though even with the injury. Everything else I just run a forward grip or hold the magwell.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,543 Posts
Tacky thanks for the words. I got hung in a saddle years ago breaking a horse. The injury is a funny one since my left arm is solid and won't rotate I am a laser beam with a pistol. 👍🏻😉. Only time it bugs me is when I'm gunning in a tank and traversing left and running switches with my right. Still have high score in my company though even with the injury. Everything else I just run a forward grip or hold the magwell.
Hey everybody has had injuries for crazy reasons, broke my clavicle years back motorcross racing, recenlty went through a buldging disc with a pinched nerve got on the job fighting fires, but over it now mostly. Still some things both those injuries can slow me down, but I push through it. I had a uncle that was army, 3rd armored, tank commander years back. My hats off to you, and thanks for your service.;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts