Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As if Covid wasn't enough for 2020, now we have "murder hornets" in the US, an invasive species so far located only in Washington state, that are 1.5" - 2" long and can wipe out a honey bee hive in almost no time -- hence, "murder". As a person trained heavily in biology and ecology (both undergrad and grad degrees), this is not merely novel, but very dangerous (since they threaten the bees and can kill humans, even those not allergic). If you live in Washington state, or anywhere in the Pacific NW, please pay attention and report any sightings to the people listed in the article linked above.

Based on the photo of one, I think we need to call in Siguorney Weaver.

Registered
Hornet cooked by bees

Registered
China just keeps sending us wonderful stuff....

Registered
gunjunkie,
Saw that video just a while back. Hope our bees figure that out.

Spellign Bee Champ
CNN referred to them as Asian giant hornets. I imagine CA Rep. Ted Loo complaining... 鈥淐alling those murder hornets the 鈥淎sian giant hornets鈥 is an example of the myopia that allowed it to spread in the US. This wasp is not constrained by country or continent.鈥 馃ぃ

Registered
I happen to own a Remington M121 smooth bore and I'd love to do a bit of hornet hunting!
Good thought! I have two Remington smoothbore rimfires and almost two bricks of ammo. The ammo was hard to find for a while but seems to be coming back. Either it is too weak to break a 'normal clay' (I know that there were special 'clays' for rimfire trap, I still have a few) or I just don't shoot well enough to hit them but these large insects could be the perfect 'game' for these guns!

Bruce

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
You guys are funny. :LOL: Long day at work, so haven't had time to watch that video, but will later, then a couple of comments.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here's a longer snippet of that Nat Geo video/program showing what happens to European bees that don't know how to cook as well.

Registered
We're gonna some anti-aircraft rounds.
I do have a few shot shell for my 357. guess my Marlin 1894c could be used as a shotgun ?
I do have my 12 ga pump too.

Grand Inquisitor
Where are all those " Killer Bees" that were going to wipe out humanity ...
Oh ... that predictionf sorta fizzeled out didn't it .
Maybe we could round up what's left and just unleash the "Killer Bees" on them .
Beekeeper of 20+ years here. Africanized bees were a real concern, and they continue to be(e) but they don't overwinter north of a certain point. Facts: they thrive at lower latitudes with warm winter and will defend their hives. Get them above 5,000 feet and they gentle out and are good honey producers. In the mountains of Central and South America, they are decent for keepers and resistant to many of the problems that afflict bees in the north.

We get our Queens locally so we don't have any DNA from those "killer" bees, which can be found in some colonies purchased from Texas, Georgia, or Florida. In the Old Dominion we work with our state apiarist; if any colonies of Africanized bees are found, feral, they get eradicated. A few swarms have come in on box cars or trailers, but we managed to wipe them out.

A longer-term threat are warmer winters. That I can't fix. As for these hornets? Find the nests and wipe 'em out. Beehive design can mitigate their damage, too. We are using new hives with reduced entrances, since older varieties of hornets can invade and tear up a hive.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Beehive design can mitigate their damage, too. We are using new hives with reduced entrances, since older varieties of hornets can invade and tear up a hive.
So they need to translate, "Lock the door behind you" into a waggle dance.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts