Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I love Galco holsters and have several... I thought it odd they would chose a picture for an advertisement that shows this ccw holder 'muzzling' his family (especially baby) while drawing...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, if you are using a horizontal, or even a vertical shoulder holster, and your family is behind you, it's pretty near impossible not to cover them with the muzzle. You will notice he does not (yet) have his finger on the trigger. We can only hope he has not already thumbed off the safety.

My preference is an IWB holster.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's why there are 4 "rules", not just one. Depending on your choice of holster or carry position, you may be muzzling someone.

Carry on the waist and bend forward? Everyone behind you is muzzled. You may or may not be drawing from this position.

Pocket carry? Hope no one is sitting across from you. Same with ankle carry. Unless you keep your foot flat on the floor, the gun may be pointed at someone.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I "muzzle" people's feet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
While i dont want to start an argument, im sure i will, im 60 years old, so i do what i do seeing i lived this long. Im not one to take advice from posters on the internet, that " havnt been there and done it". Just because you carry doesnt mean you know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I have one of those Galco horizontal holsters and your family is not the only thing that you'll be "muzzling". I've noticed that when I'm holstering the gun, the muzzle is pointing right at my brachial artery (the major artery in your upper arm). Since I first noticed that, I've started putting the gun in the holster before I put on the holster.

The horizontal holster has some safety issues, but it is easy to draw from.

Jim

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S
While i dont want to start an argument, im sure i will, im 60 years old, so i do what i do seeing i lived this long. Im not one to take advice from posters on the internet, that " havnt been there and done it". Just because you carry doesnt mean you know what you are talking about.
Ok, ok... I get it guys.

I just wonder why a shoulder rig is ever considered (vs IWB/OWB)

maybe LEO's know... But I can't see myself muzzling needlessly when IWB/OWB appears safer

Just looking for insight (because I wear a suit everyday and shoulder rigs look intriguing--- but I'm concerned with the safety)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Keep your finger off the trigger is the first order of business.

All holster regardless of style are at one time or another pointing at some body part. you have to go with what works for you. Myself I hate IWB. Makes me feel like I have a huge growth on my hip and very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
The only time I use my shoulder holster is when I am on the bike and on a long road trip. If I am not riding, then I take the shoulder rig apart and use the holster as an OWB holster.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow some people must have guns that go off all by themselves.
I think the proper draw stroke and the correct RE-holstering would eliminate the problem.

How do these pistols/revolvers go off without a finger on the trigger.

I carry a cocked and locked 1911, have used many different kinds of holsters.
Somehow it just never went bang by it's self.

If I am missing something please explain, I am in no way trying to be a smarty pants,
But unless you have a major catastrophic failure they just don't go bang unless the trigger is pulled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.