Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is devoted to the remake of my 10/22 that started today.

Well, it really started back in January with the addition of an adult OEM stock -- it's a Compact model (I wanted the 16" barrel) -- and a set of Tech Sights. But today came the Hogue stock (it looks and feels way better than I expected) and the new scabbard for the ATV.

Tomorrow, the variable inserts for the Tech Sights (to allow me to get closer to ghost rings than peep sights). Later this week, the BX-15 is coming.

As soon as I get it all assembled, I'll post pictures, followed by a report of how it shoots. The first 299,000 subscribers to this thread will receive free updates.

I've got some CCI Velociters and Aguila that need shooting. (I'll expand the range to include Stingers and target loads as soon as that becomes logistically and financially possible again, some time after the pandemic has subsided.)

As an added incentive, since the shooting will occur in eastern Maine, on a still-mostly-wild lake, viewers will be awed by the spectacular landscapes: lakes, rivers, marshes, woodlands, forests ... etc.

For example, this is within 100 m of the range. The lake is 4 mi long running left to right (NW to SE) near the Bay of Fundy.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,126 Posts
Can't wait to find out how the new setup works out. That scenery is awesome. It is interesting that you are at the northern terminus of the AT. The southern end is in my county. There is a six mile "approach trail" from Amicalola Falls State Park that leads to it. We have to rescue hikers almost weekly who planned to hike the AT but have issues before they even get to the starting point.

·
Registered
760 Posts
10/22's are the AR of .22's I have a couple in aftermarket stocks, and have been swapping factory barrels out for KSA (Keystone Arms) microgroove barrels. They are too much fun, and too easy to spend money on.

Reactions: Katahdin 22

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ngashooter, here in eastern Maine, I'm quite a ways from the AT. Where I lived before up NW of Bangor, I lived 20 mi east of the AT and about 50 mi south of Katahdin where the US AT ends. I've only walked a tiny portion of it up here during a day walk, and it is super rugged and challenging. I've seen people take off up a connector trail from a campground nearly 100% under prepared: no pack, no rain gear (a big mistake here), no canteen, wearing tennis shoes or sandals. Natural selection looking for a place to happen.

Little known fact: the AT doesn't end there, only the US AT. The AT continues north from there as the International AT that runs up through parts of Canada (Quebec to Labrador), then over to Greenland, Iceland and down through Scotland. I think it eventually reaches the Atlas Mountains of northern Africa. Large parts of it outside of Scotland are still undeveloped; a work in progress. Of course, one would need a boat for parts of that journey.

So back to the 10/22. I got the variable aperture kit for the Tech Sights today, along with the little wrench that's supposed to make replacement and adjustment easy. I've read the directions two or three times and looked at the diagrams. I'm pretty handy with mechanical things as long as there are good directions, but these are not. The words are OK, but the diagrams are not labeled.

I just spent 15 min on the phone to their customer service and understand a bit better, but even she said it can be challenging to reinstall. I'm going to have to remove the rear sight to work on it. I have no vice to grip the rifle and it's just too hard to hold it steady while screwing.

If you hear a scream later, it's me getting frustrated.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hours later. I spent hours this afternoon trying to get the new sight upgrade done and have failed so far — what PITA. It’s one of those jobs with several tiny parts -- including a spring loaded detent ball about half the size of a BB -- that won’t cooperate and requires a minimum of three hands. I also think my wrench that I bought for them specifically made for this job ($10) is slightly defective. It's not grabbing the part like it should.

I’ll try again tomorrow, but I may wind up sending the entire rear sight back to them to have them complete the upgrade. This is going to slow the project coming together.

Had I known upgrading them was so challenging, I might not have bought them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wednesday. Sun is shining brightly on eastern Maine this morning with temps to top out in the high 50'sF and light breezes. Good day to take the 10/22 down into the back 50 (neighbor's land where I have permission to roam, hunt and camp) and see if I can hit paper with it with the new stock and sights.

Of course, before I do that, I have to finish installing the new Tech Sights rear adjustable aperture with the 0.082 insert (larger than the stock 0.062 that I needed/wanted to replace). In the post above, I noted that I spent several frustrating hours yesterday afternoon trying to do that, but needed a third hand -- at least, and maybe a second brain -- to figure it out.

That was on top of an otherwise trying day (the other factors aren't relevant here) so by nightfall, I was really tired, including mentally. In a rare move, I went to bed (on a new very comfortable, inexpensive air mattress with a new warm-season comforter) and slept over ten hours, then napped some more. (Highly recommended for health on occasion, both physical and mental.)

Today, I'm refreshed and ready to the get sights on. I remembered that there's a vice on a work bench in the garage across the road where I store my ATV, which as luck turns out is directly connected to the back 50.

So this afternoon, after UPS delivery (the new camp water filter, hurricane lantern and hammock under-quilt arrive today), I'm going to carry rifle, rear sight and parts, along with appropriate tools (including camera) and targets to the garage, use the vice as a third hand, and see if I can make this puppy fit.

Pics to come ...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About an hour later ...

A few minutes ago, I finally ended a phone call with the customer service rep at Tech Sights. We talked for almost an hour. I've spoken with her multiple times before, including pre-purchase calls. I spoke with her once yesterday during attempted installation; her info was useful then, also.

Today, she answered all my remaining questions (that popped up during yesterday's installation attempt) about how to install my new variable aperture sights on the rear and then added even more information including tips that are going to be super useful both for installation and sighting. I now fully understand the parts and the process. (She admitted that their instructions need some updating -- she even made a couple of notes based on my feedback. I'm going to do some suggested edits to the instructions and send them along with some photos that they can use.)

Then, since it's a mom and pop operation, she was able to spend about half the time -- at my request -- telling me the history of the company, how it's set up now, why they make what they do, why they're not presently adding new products to their well-developed line, etc. All of it was not only interesting but fascinating, an insight into how to run a successful business with exceptional customer service. All with clarity and a great sense of humor.

It was easily THE best -- most helpful, clear, patient, interesting -- customer service interaction I've ever had. I already gave their sights high marks just based on looks alone (fit, finish, materials, design) -- remember, they're not even on yet, let alone sighted in -- and reviews I've read (and the fact that they're recommended for Appleseed).

Now I give them 6 stars (out of 5) for customer service. Just stellar.

OK, now lunch, and to the garage ...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Will the 22lr be heavy enough for mosquito protection? I have heard stories about their size.
Ha! It should be fine for mosquitoes here -- though it's true we have more than our share: at least 10% of the state land surface is wet -- from rivers and lakes to wetlands and marshes. LOTS of those in eastern Maine with low topographic relief.

It's the black flies I'm more concerned about. FAR shorter season -- only about month with a peak swarm time in the middle -- but the little buggers can outnumber mosquitoes by 20 fold or more during the peak swarm, and they are both smart and fast. Smart because they can even find a way into openings in bug nets up sleeves and into necks (I wear a full torso net during peak) because they search. Fast? If mosquitoes are cargo helicopters, black flies are fighter jets that can turn on a dime.

Just finished a late lunch and got dinner into the crockpot -- carnitas (a Mexican pork dish). Carnitas tacos tonight.

Heading now for the garage with all parts and needed tools in the day pack, 10/22 in its new scabbard.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
22:00. SUCCESS!

Using the vice, I installed the new sight aperture kit in less than 15 minutes, including getting the rear sight back onto the rifle, but not counting 4X longer shooting photos and video of the process.

Then I took it out to the back 50 via ATV for a quick test, just to make sure I'm on paper.

The last photo in this series (#4) is the pocket notebook page I used as a target -- I forgot the piece of cardboard from the garage. (Formal sighting in coming within a week at a different range.)

The three circled shots are at 10' -- again, just to make sure I could hit paper; one of the center holes is from the broken branch I used to hang the paper on the dead tree. The shots outside the oval are from ~10 yds standing free hand. Cut me some slack: it's been over a year since I shot it, and these sights are new to me. :cautious: Need some practice, coming soon.

But do I feel good about these preliminary results
with the new sights and new stock?

HELL YEAH. :LOL:

More to come ...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Near 02:00. OK, just one more. Then I'm hitting the air mattress.

This one's just for context (after watching some Netflix action adventure movies and series .. like what it's like up here).

Here's the ATV holding the 10/22 down where I did the test.

I had to put the camera/binocs bag in front of the headlight
to block the western sun an hour before sunset.

Reactions: JTJ

·
Registered
760 Posts
I like it a lot! I thought about putting tech sites on my 10/22 M1 carbine, but for now the peep sight it has on it is ok

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An hour ago, via late UPS special delivery (not the usual guy and way later), I received my Lyman #12 slot blank for a std 3/8" dovetail (among a lot of other items from a $130 Amazon purchase). I want to fill that sharp dovetail divot in the top of my 10/22 barrel where I removed the factory rear (now using the Tech Sights).

I've never used one of these before. Call me a dovetail virgin. :oops: It's clear it's going to be a tight fit.

Any suggestions? Use a fine file or some emery paper to smooth the edges? Drive it in with a wooden mallet? Lubricant? Say a lengthy incantation to the gods of metal?

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
@Katahdin 22, that looks great and looks like it’s shooting great too.
As for dovetails, standard dovetails are slightly tapered. With muzzle away remove left to right, install right to left. Even with a tight dovetail you should at least be able to insert it to get it started as you are inserting the small end of the male dovetail into the large female end of the dovetail.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
If it is too tight lay fine grit sandpaper flat on a hard surface and run the bottom of the insert over the sandpaper. Check frequently. It should go in tight with a brass hammer or punch but you should not have to induce blunt force trauma. Dowel works if you don't have brass.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm gonna try to insert it later today, I think. I also think I'm going to carry the rifle across the road to the garage so I can mount it in the vice -- should make this easier.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to use JTJ's sandpaper trick. Tried to get it in a little way last evening, just to see if it'll fit at all. I got it started, but it got really tight really quickly -- it even turned up wire edges on the lower "guide ridges" -- the part that actually locks into the dovetail. Seems it's going to take a little work. Gonna carry some mineral oil over also.

Reactions: JTJ

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks great, especially with the FDE stock. It also looks like you have a great place to shoot it whenever you want. I am a little jealous I moved to town a few years ago so have to shoot at the range. They are very handy little rifles with the compact barrel. Not so sure why they dont just put them out from the factory with full sized stocks to start with. I really prefer the compact models with peep sights too. Here are a couple compacts I put together. I trimmed down a couple international stocks. Before anyone flames me about cutting them down. They are not going anywhere!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Great thread Katahdin22, I really enjoy seeing a project like yours come together!
And IanC, I love those International stocks, they look great!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, guys. I appreciate those international style (mainly European???) stocks as well. I've always been intrigued by them, but never had an occasion to buy a rifle wearing one. Is it pure style, or are there ergonomic advantages to them over the more typical ones I see in the US? Nice to know (but not at all surprising) to know they're available for 10/22.
__

Here's an update about my project. I finally gave up on installing the Lyman dovetail blank. What a PITA! (I have other terms for it, but would be asked to leave the forum if I used them here. :censored: ) Maybe I just got a fluke that was statistically and accidentally outside of tolerance. But I sanded and filed, drove it in, drove it back out, sanded and filed more, drove it, etc about five times. I got it 95% in before I gave up. No amount of punching even in the vice would fully seat it. I just wasn't willing to spend more time on a tiny piece that should be an easy install.

Plus, even with my wooden dowels, the edges were getting beat up. But worse, I realized once I got it in a bit that it was anything but flush with the barrel surface. I was trading a grove for a wart that sticks up -- now with banged up edges. I just drove it out for good. I'm tempted to return it, but it was only $10 delivered, so prolly just let it go.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that space. Williams makes a blank (not available now on multiple sites (Brownells, Midway, etc) that's described as "easy install" that has a set screw (rather than friction). I've put my name on a "notify me" list. But I'm considering other DIY solutions; nothing came to mind yet.

Sometime this week, I plan to take the 10/22 -- Dearth, I call it (yes, there's a story there) -- up to my friend's property on the lake to sight it. I carried it up there yesterday, but a large family gathering was underway. (I got my annual dose of "social gathering" then. I don't like "parties" anymore where I don't know most people. :oops:) Today is his daughter's birthday, so it won't be today. Soon though ...

BX-15 ETA is Wednesday.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Looks great, especially with the FDE stock. It also looks like you have a great place to shoot it whenever you want. I am a little jealous I moved to town a few years ago so have to shoot at the range. They are very handy little rifles with the compact barrel. Not so sure why they dont just put them out from the factory with full sized stocks to start with. I really prefer the compact models with peep sights too. Here are a couple compacts I put together. I trimmed down a couple international stocks. Before anyone flames me about cutting them down. They are not going anywhere! View attachment 154315 View attachment 154316
OMG that Laminate Mannlicher is beautiful!!! I love the peep sights as well!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts