Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my 2.75" Ruger Police Service-Six from layaway this weekend. Couldn't be happier. I can tell this is going to become my new favorite revolver. It is my new CCW. I even ended up selling my Smith & Wesson model 60 to pay it off (which I don't even miss.) Had enough left over to even buy a set of Target grips.

The Police Service-Six feels and points so much better than that J-frame ever did. Trigger pull is amazing. Hope you guys enjoy the pics I took. Even the Pachmayr grips it came with are sort of neat with the silver stars. They sort of look like they may be from a Bond Arms grip. I can say they feel great on the hands.

...Now here's where things get really interesting. I think I may have picked up a somewhat rare Service Six! After I took the grips off, I noticed that the frame really didn't look square at all. Service Six models were square frame like the Security Sixes. We all know it was the Speed Six which was Ruger's round butt frame. Well this one looks round to me and it's obviously labeled a "Police Service Six". Definitely looks like it came from the factory this way. Look at the pics below. What do you guys think?

Another giveaway was the Pachmayr grips were labeled for a "Speed Six". There's no way round butt grips fits a square frame. Decided to try on the Target grips I had bought which are suppose to fit a Security/Service Six. When I put them on, they did not fit correctly. There's an obvious gap at the bottom of where the panels meet.

Ladies and gentleman this is a round butt Service Six! Wow! I've heard of these before but had never seen one and can't believe my luck. From what I understand Ruger at the time had a batch that were Police Service Sixes but they were trying to meet demand for Speed Sixes on order and decided to just round butt the frames. Anyone else know more history or information about these? I'd love to hear about it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
That's a fine looking Six mate.
And great pics. as well.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Got yourself a nice revolver, there! Sorry, I don't know much history on wheel guns. I'm sure someone will chime in. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice looking piece for sure.

It could be that somebody rounded the butt themselves. I did that to my Redhawk. I'm not saying there's no way it's factory, but that's not the only option.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could be that somebody rounded the butt themselves. I'm not saying there's no way it's factory, but that's not the only option.
Yeah I’m going to go ahead and send in for a Ruger Letter of Authenticity. For $10 I think it’s worth it. I’d like to know if the round butt is factory for sure. It looks like it to me. I’ve compared with pictures of Speed Six frames online and the butt frame on mine looks identical. I’ve never requested one of these letters before. Anyone know what sort of information I should expect to receive from them?

I also came across another Ruger forum where the round butt Service Sixes were discussed. It sounds like they were out there, just not very common.
RugerForum.com ? View topic - Round Butt Service Six?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Ruger Factory Grips

FYI -
Ruger is selling their factory target grips for $11 + ship (obviously). I just got mine (ordered in Dec) last week.

After market clones are going for $35++ on ebay (duh?!)

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Picked up my 2.75" Ruger Police Service-Six from layaway this weekend. Couldn't be happier. I can tell this is going to become my new favorite revolver. It is my new CCW. I even ended up selling my Smith & Wesson model 60 to pay it off (which I don't even miss.) Had enough left over to even buy a set of Target grips.

The Police Service-Six feels and points so much better than that J-frame ever did. Trigger pull is amazing. Hope you guys enjoy the pics I took. Even the Pachmayr grips it came with are sort of neat with the silver stars. They sort of look like they may be from a Bond Arms grip. I can say they feel great on the hands.

...Now here's where things get really interesting. I think I may have picked up a somewhat rare Service Six! After I took the grips off, I noticed that the frame really didn't look square at all. Service Six models were square frame like the Security Sixes. We all know it was the Speed Six which was Ruger's round butt frame. Well this one looks round to me and it's obviously labeled a "Police Service Six". Definitely looks like it came from the factory this way. Look at the pics below. What do you guys think?

Another giveaway was the Pachmayr grips were labeled for a "Speed Six". There's no way round butt grips fits a square frame. Decided to try on the Target grips I had bought which are suppose to fit a Security/Service Six. When I put them on, they did not fit correctly. There's an obvious gap at the bottom of where the panels meet.

Ladies and gentleman this is a round butt Service Six! Wow! I've heard of these before but had never seen one and can't believe my luck. From what I understand Ruger at the time had a batch that were Police Service Sixes but they were trying to meet demand for Speed Sixes on order and decided to just round butt the frames. Anyone else know more history or information about these? I'd love to hear about it.
Great pictures!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yeah I’m going to go ahead and send in for a Ruger Letter of Authenticity. For $10 I think it’s worth it. I’d like to know if the round butt is factory for sure. It looks like it to me. I’ve compared with pictures of Speed Six frames online and the butt frame on mine looks identical. I’ve never requested one of these letters before. Anyone know what sort of information I should expect to receive from them?

I also came across another Ruger forum where the round butt Service Sixes were discussed. It sounds like they were out there, just not very common.
RugerForum.com ? View topic - Round Butt Service Six?
RevolverGuy:

What you have is a Speed-Six that was stamped as a Police-Service-Six. This is because all of the scalloped(Recoil shield)Speed-Sixes have their frame floor plate thickness measuring roughly 3/8" when compared to the square butt Police Service-Six frame floor plate thickness only measuring roughly 1/4". See how much thinner the floor plate measurement is on my square butt Police Service-Six frame shown below:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RevolverGuy:
What you have is a Speed-Six that was stamped as a Police-Service-Six. This is because all of the scalloped(Recoil shield)Speed-Sixes have their frame floor plate thickness measuring roughly 3/8" when compared to the square butt Police Service-Six frame floor plate thickness only measuring roughly 1/4". See how much thinner the floor plate measurement is on my square butt Police Service-Six frame shown below:
ptblank, thanks for that insight! You are right. I just measured it and the frame floor is an exact 3/8". I'm still going to send for a letter from Ruger and will update and give details about what they release to me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
RevolverGuy:

All of the Speed-Sixes that I have heard about where the frame had been mis-stamped as a Police Service-Six had lettered as a Speed-Six which would be correct for your frame designation. Also you are welcome for the information that I had given to you previously!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Yeah I’m going to go ahead and send in for a Ruger Letter of Authenticity. For $10 I think it’s worth it. .... I’ve never requested one of these letters before. Anyone know what sort of information I should expect to receive from them?
Based on my recent experience don't expect much detail after a pretty long wait. The gun I had lettered simply said what I already knew - the Catalog number, model number and the year it was shipped. It didn't go into the level of detail that I have seen on a Colt letter or a S&W letter - but then they only charge $10 and not $50 - $150 for some real research.

Since it's only ten bucks why not? Just don't get your expectations too high. As ptblank already mentioned it will probably letter as a Speed-Six and was simply mis-marked. Now some collectors like factory mistakes like that (kinda odd - we usually disapprove of errors) and I've seen S&W guns with upside down rollmarks and double strike rollmarks and such and there seems to be interest in these things so you still have an uncommon (and very nice looking I might add) Six!

·
Registered
20 Posts
RevolverGuy,
Congrats,on a nice find,I have to admit I'm jealous not only because I've been looking for that particular model to go along with my SS Security Sixes, but also because I know where you found it and I was probably only a day or two behind you as I frequent every gun and pawn shop within a hundred miles around us...congratulations again on a fine revolver...Ready2Go

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Congratulations on your nice find and great pictures!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the letter request to Ruger has been sent off. As soon as I hear something l'll update this post and let you guys know what comes back.

I've been having a lot of fun with this amazing Service Six. At the range it's been a real pleasure to shoot (both .38's and .357). Today I decided after cleaning that I would try my hand at field stripping it. Found a video online that helped which I have attached the link for anyone interested. It's pretty easy to take apart. Putting it together took me a little longer, mostly trying to figure out the trigger assembly, but I think any average person can do it. Bill Ruger and his engineers really thought this through (takedown & assembly). For a design over 30+ yrs old, the engineering is still impressive. No Smith & Wesson, Colt, or Taurus can be taken apart as efficiently and quickly as a Ruger.

There's lots of great history and insight in the book, Ruger & His Guns by R.L. Wilson. If you own it's on pgs 112-123. You can read on how Ruger had wanted to design a double-action that did not need screws or sideplates (used on S&W and Colt), and how he actually looked at the solid frame of a single-action for inspiration. When you look at the actual solid frame by itself you can imagine what sort of decisions were being made when it was being conceptualized. Truly genius!

Here's the video which helped. It's two parts.

Ruger Security Six Revolver Disassembly/Reassembly Part1 - YouTube

1 - 20 of 40 Posts