Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When my focus was on 1911 pistols rather than revolvers I found that my best accuracy resulted from using a government size pistol. The sight radius best suited my eyesight.

On the other hand, I seemed to obtain my best revolver accuracy with a 4”. That is until I purchased a 3” Ruger GP100.

In recent times I find that I handle and shoot my 3" GPl00 better than any other sidearm I have ever had. This gun is a treasure. It is sturdy, well balanced, reliable and most accurate. I have even grown to appreciate its innate beauty.

My 3” GP100 does have one characteristic that has allowed me to become a more controlled shooter. Unlike my Smiths or 4” GP100, the 3” has a very definite stop point when the trigger is squeezed and just before the hammer strikes. This has allowed me to refocus and concentrate the front sight aiming point on target before the hammer falls.

I realize that this is fine for target shooting but could have an inverse deadly result for me if I were in a fire fight. Thus, I train using both techniques; a steady one pull trigger squeeze during defensive drills and the stop squeeze and re-squeeze for recreational target practice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Aimtrue,
Congrats on you GP-100. A few months ago, I bought the same gun. To be truthful, I was at the time thinking about using this gun for trade on something else. Long story short, I took it to the range to see how well, or how bad it shot. I could not have been happier with this gun. These days I am either carrying this gun or my LCR. I beleive some folks don't like the weighrt of the GP, but they just feel and shoot great for me.....Ray

·
Registered
250 Posts
The GP100 3” FS revolver has a lot of favorable design features going for it. Good sights, enough mass to aid in recoil control, slightly front heavy and strong action. Personally the 3” Fixed Sight GP100 feels better in hand to me than the 4” GP100 does. Its only negative features are being a bit bulky but a correctly designed holster and belt can easily solve this issue. A 3” GP100 as well as a 6” GP100 are on my very short “must buy” list. They will relegate an N frame and K frame S&W to the “safe-queen” collector status that their near mint condition should have.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I always thought that the 4" GP would be my favorite revolver... until I got my 3".

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I like both the 3" and the 4" and of course the 3" is much better for CC than the 4", no sights to snag and shorter barrel. Has anyone tried the 3" with the compact grips?

Here are my 3" one with full size grips and the other with compact. I'm still trying to get use to the shorter compact grip. My hands aren't big but on the compact my little finger is only half on the grip.

Nice firearm Aimtrue. If I were in to the full wood grips those are just what i would be looking for.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
+1 The compacts fit my hand better than anything else I own and conceal surprising well. Has at least for now become the one I would last give up.
Yeah, I thought the 4" GP w/ normal grips felt great in my hand until I tried the 3" w/ compacts. Love shooting that gun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
aimtrue, that wood grip is dazzling! :eek: Sexy even! :D Is it a hogue?

I intend to get myself a GP in the near future. I would like to get a three inch (I like the look of the Wiley Clapp limited edition). However here in Australia, revolvers have to have a minimum barrel length of 4". So annoying!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 3" Ruger GP100 is a stock, not Wiley Clapp, model KGPF-331 with a Hogue Lamo Camo exotic wood monogrip and a Cameron's custom-made fiber optic front sight.

The black Hogue rubber grip that came OEM on the revolver was a good grip. I changed it only for cosmetic visual purposes. The Lamo Camo grip does a good job of buffering recoil and does fit my hand quite well.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Congrat's on the 3" find...it is a great little revolver! I see where you installed a Hi-Viz front sight and Hogue grips! Both are outstanding! I chose an XS Sights tritium front sight and retained the smaller, older-style factory Lett grips! I have somewhat smaller hands and they just fit me perfectly!

I actually had 3 of the 3" GP100's (1 didn't shoot so straight...but the other 2...wow!) but was forced to sell them in 2009 when I lost both jobs within 5 working days of each other!

I now have a 4" fixed-sight GP100 (see avatar) and love it better than any of the other 6 GP100's (3 x 3", 1 x 4", and 1 x 6" versions) that I had! I would like a 3" version again some day...but am very happy with, and sometimes CC the 4" in a Bianchi Model 7 Ranger II 3-Slot OWB holster! It's very comfortable to carry!

I do, however, want a 5" from Davidson's...really bad...that or a 6" half-barrel for deer!

·
Registered
754 Posts
41 RED: I like the compact grip! Where did you get it? I presume it fits the same as the other grip. Question: Is there a substantial difference between these two when carried? The size does not look a lot different. Wondered what you have learned from experience...

And Amishman, I enjoyed your joyful post twice! Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was a big 1911 fan but revolvers have stolen my heart. MY 3" 686 is my favorite gun. I have not had the pleasure of shooting a GP100 yet.

PS love those grips!

·
Registered
584 Posts
41 RED: I like the compact grip! Where did you get it? I presume it fits the same as the other grip. Question: Is there a substantial difference between these two when carried? The size does not look a lot different. Wondered what you have learned from experience...
I found a very significant difference; I could not realistically conceal with the full-size Letts, and absolutely not with the Hogues that now come standard. I can with the compacts quite well (and I am 5'6", 135 lbs).

·
Registered
584 Posts
Congrat's on the 3" find...it is a great little revolver! I see where you installed a Hi-Viz front sight and Hogue grips! Both are outstanding! I chose an XS Sights tritium front sight and retained the smaller, older-style factory Lett grips! I have somewhat smaller hands and they just fit me perfectly!
Do they make an XS tritium for 3"? If yes, I'll pick one up...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put lighter springs and did a trigger job on mine and its unbelievable. I cant get over how accurate it is and how easy it is too shoot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts